IGNORED

alternator belt

steve2

Read the ways and means to replace the belt. It was a fairly easy job once I remembered what the procedure was. My question is this-

I found very small pieces-flakes of metal in the belt tracks on the belt I removed. Where would these flakes be coming from and has anyone else seen this?

I would agree with Ken, this is likely from the pulley itself. This is really not an uncommon condition. Harley Davidson has used final drive belts for years (very successfully I might add). There is actually a service interval for both inspecting and replacing the drive pulleys on these systems.

plating from the pully? Is it hard on a belt? Does this mean the pully is going bad? Does everyone have theis trouble.

? Should I be worried?

Naw, I've not yet seen or heard of an issue because of it. We're talking very fine material migraton.
plating from the pully? Is it hard on a belt? Does this mean the pully is going bad? Does everyone have theis trouble.

? Should I be worried?

If it helps keep your mind off of the final drive exploding then yes, worry. :rofl:

Sorry, just kidding, what Ken said. No big deal.

Archived