IGNORED

States permitting Lane splitting, No Helmet

GordonB

In Pa:

Lane splitting is illegal. I'd never witnessed it in person until visiting San Francisco. I just about jumped out of my seat when the first bike came by 6" from my mirror! :eek:

Helmets are NOT required if:

- You're over 21 and have had your motorcycle license for 2 years

OR

- You've completed a state or MSF aproved safety course (where presumably you've been taught the importance of wearing a helmet! :dopeslap: )

Lane splitting is legal in CA...by definition of not being illegal. Now that I have been living in other states I sure do miss it. Should be legal everywhere IMHO.

Helmet laws by state here

I'm curious

What few states allow lane splitting;

What states do not require helmet use;

GordonB, I don’t think any states have laws specifically to permit lane splitting.. Some (like Ca.) just don’t have rules preventing it..

The helmet usage by state is changing often so you really need to check in with states for current regulations..

Twisty

I just about jumped out of my seat when the first bike came by 6" from my mirror! :eek:

Well there's an improvement opportunity for you. Learn not to do that.

Checking that AMA site, I see that not only does Iowa not require helmets for anyone of any age (it's been that way for years), it now also does not require eye protection.

A few years ago when I started riding at least they required eye protection. At that time the state didn't specify what kind of eye protection, but just that you had to have some kind of eye protection. Now there's not even that requirement.

Question for Texas LEO's...Would you ticket a motorcycle rider for lane splitting? I know it isn't addressed per se in the code, but would you allow it? I used it in a limited fashion in CA...for example..When all cars were stopped for a train, I would go to the front of the line. When traffic was stopped in general I headed to the front of the line. If traffic was slow and I could go between cars in 1st gear I would. If more than 10-15 mph, I didn't.

What made me ask was a couple of weekends ago I went to Port Aransas. The ferry line was 1hour 30 minutes. I could have easily gone to the front of the line, but chose to just wait. It sure was hot sitting dead still in the Texas sun...

Curious..

In Pa:

Helmets are NOT required if:

- You're over 21 and have had your motorcycle license for 2 years

OR

- You've completed a state or MSF aproved safety course (where presumably you've been taught the importance of wearing a helmet! :dopeslap: )

Sounds like a typical idiotic law passed by some government agency. Are the LEOs supposed to stop all non helmet riders to see if they meet the requirements? Great comment about the safety course teaching the improtance of wearing a helmet. Wheeu !! :P

What made me ask was a couple of weekends ago I went to Port Aransas. The ferry line was 1hour 30 minutes. I could have easily gone to the front of the line, but chose to just wait. It sure was hot sitting dead still in the Texas sun...

In this particular case there are more factors to consider than just lane sharing. You weren't waiting for a traffic light but rather a service and not certain whether riding a motorcycle necessarily entitles you to preferred boarding status ahead of everyone else. I might be hesitant to do this even where lane sharing is legal. Many ferries I have used provide a separate lane for motorcycles which helps alleviate this quandry, but otherwise... just something to think about (and this from a dedicated lane-splitter. :grin:)

Checking that AMA site, I see that not only does Iowa not require helmets for anyone of any age (it's been that way for years), it now also does not require eye protection.

A few years ago when I started riding at least they required eye protection. At that time the state didn't specify what kind of eye protection, but just that you had to have some kind of eye protection. Now there's not even that requirement.

That's just NUTS! I saw dudes cruising with nothing on their noggin while in Iowa this summer. PLUS no windshield! A couple weeks ago I got cracked in the helmet with a jawbreaker sized stone right above the face shield. And I have a +4 1/2 cee bailey. What made that even more poignant is that I was on my way to taking the MSF BRC.

It's been a while since I checked it's status, but there is a bill in the Texas legislature to specifically permit lane splitting. Someone referenced it on this list about 6 months ago or so.

As an aside, the last time I rode the Port A ferry, the attendants waved me forward ahead of a few dozen cars.

It's been a while since I checked it's status, but there is a bill in the Texas legislature to specifically permit lane splitting.

Unfortunately it died (along with many other bills) when the legislature adjourned. But it makes it a little further each time so hopefully the sponsor will re-introduce it.

With all the hub-bub about global warming and other green politics, a case could be made that lane splitting helps save the planet. An idling, stopped motorcycle sitting in traffic does nothing good for the environment.

That's just NUTS! I saw dudes cruising with nothing on their noggin while in Iowa this summer. PLUS no windshield! A couple weeks ago I got cracked in the helmet with a jawbreaker sized stone right above the face shield. And I have a +4 1/2 cee bailey. What made that even more poignant is that I was on my way to taking the MSF BRC.

Not having a law is not NUTS. Heck, there is no law against riding in shorts and a t-shirts either.

Archived