IGNORED

2010 RT specs?

BeemerBerg

With 85K miles on my '05, and having fixed almost everything that typically breaks, I've been thinking about a new RT.

Not sure about an '09s....would like to see what the Fatherland has in mind for 2010. The dealers seems to have run out of brochures for the RT...can I assume there are some changes going to be made. Also told that the factory hasn't even started production on '10 RTs.

Anyone out there hear anything yet? Maybe an improved FD? Reliable fuel gauge? Better suspension (Wilburs, Ohlins).

What would YOU like to see in the 'next generation' RT?

Let the speculation begin....

Here is what I don't want.

- Heavier

- More expensive

- Increased maintenance intervals & costs

- Lower fuel economy

- Torture saddles

- "Standard" blinker and light controls

- Prestone

- Apples

I guess I don't want a RT version of this...

color_k1300r_03_preview_neu.jpg

CoarsegoldKid

+1 +1

When the Fatherland wants to know what will make a better RT they can contact me. I won't hold my breath as I'm sure they already have some ideas. Sadly they'll likely not be what I had in mind.

+3

except for the apples, I like apples. My dealership ussually just has coffee and donuts (have to get there early for the donuts) but never any fruit. Or is this a term I am unfamiliar with on a bike?

Lone_RT_rider

What some of you may, or may not understand is that it takes between 3 and 5 years to Design, prototype, test, validate, redesign, prototype, validate, pre-production run, production validate and produced a new model of a motorcycle. So.... at this point if there is to be a new version of the R-RT, we are realistically about 3 years past the point at which any input on our part would do any good..... :cry:

Shawn

Not sure about an '09s....would like to see what the Fatherland has in mind for 2010.

What the dealer told me (about a month ago -- when I took delivery of my 09) was that the only changes for the 2010's would be an increase in price. Also, that no 2010 RTs would be produced until around December/January.

At that time, the dealer checked and said there was 46 2009 RTs left in the "warehouse" for the dealers to order from. This, of course does not count those left in showrooms that could be transferred dealer-to-dealer.

"What the dealer told me (about a month ago -- when I took delivery of my 09) was that the only changes for the 2010's would be an increase in price. Also, that no 2010 RTs would be produced until around December/January."

Well, what else would you expect the dealer, who is about to hand you the keys to your new '09, to say? That is 'boiler plate' salesmanship speak...grab this '09 before the price increase! I doubt he is privy to what if any changes BMW has in store for the 2010's anyway.

And what the heck are 'apples' in reference too?? Free iPhone with every new Gold Wing? or LT?

Jim

Ken, there are pretty good rumblings coming from the BMW side that probably a 1250cc (around 120hp) GS after about the 1st of 2010 with a 1250cc (around 120 hp) coming in the RT shortly thereafter.. I keep hearing a new color for 2010 also (rumor has it the burnt orange)..

My BMW contact won’t confirm the 1250cc 120 hp engine but he won’t specifically deny it either..

I’m not sure how much the local BMW dealers actually know yet but they are talking a 1250cc boxer engine in early next year in both the GS & RT..

Twisty

What some of you may, or may not understand is that it takes between 3 and 5 years to Design, prototype, test, validate, redesign, prototype, validate, pre-production run, production validate and produced a new model of a motorcycle. So.... at this point if there is to be a new version of the R-RT, we are realistically about 3 years past the point at which any input on our part would do any good..... :cry:

Shawn

So.....when my ESA froze up, final drive crapped out, driveshaft broke, Gas Gauge stopped working, and ABS module is flashing the "triangle of death", was my '05 RT part of the "Test", "Validate", "Prototype", "Redesign", or "Production" stage?

I'd be happy to get a bike that is GREAT out of the gate. Tired of being the beta-tester....

Lone_RT_rider

Shawn

So.....when my ESA froze up, final drive crapped out, driveshaft broke, Gas Gauge stopped working, and ABS module is flashing the "triangle of death", was my '05 RT part of the "Test", "Validate", "Prototype", "Redesign", or "Production" stage?

I'd be happy to get a bike that is GREAT out of the gate. Tired of being the beta-tester....

Well, then I suggest you never ever buy a new car, motorcycle or golf cart for that matter.

The simple fact is that as long as any manufacturer can get a "statistically significant" number of any given product (6 is usually the minimum) to pass a representative life test, then there will always be issues with new models such as your 2005. What most car producers call representative of a vehicle life is 10 years, 150,000 miles. How they replicate that into vehicle testing is always up to them. Some are better than others, but there is a good chance that given a low sample size, usually in order to keep costs down, they will always miss some condition that can come up later. Most of the issues come up within the first year, some take longer. The people inside of Ford have an expression "Quality is Job 1 + 90 (days)". There is more truth to that than most people would ever care to admit.

What does this all mean to the average consumer? Try and buy a product that was made at the absolute end of the first production year it was made. This gets most of the bugs worked out of it and doesn't subject you to the "cost reductions" in the next model year that can affect the quality and durability of those cheaper parts. And, let's not forget that a lot of the cost reductions are passed through to production on historical test data. This sign off is usually to keep the cost of implementation of the change down to a point where it can justify it, and keep the cost savings from the change to a point to make the product development team looking good on the books.

Not that I have any experience in these matters.... :/

Shawn

I see what you're saying. My '99 RT was a very trouble free bike, retired at 130K miles.

The '05 was a gamble, as the first year for that edition.

Maybe a good deal on an '09 would be a better choice, with all the bugs worked out. :)

I don't know about that, I've had an '05 R1200RT since new without a headache. Lucky I guess.

Would look forward to a "new" 1250 or 1300 & gladly buy the first-year model; time for a change.

Prefer/hope for a 1300cc but not counting on it; still, all the rumors not withstanding, hopefully 2010 will see a "update" of some kind.

Archived