IGNORED

USB DVD for my Acer Netbook, Not Working.

Hermes

Now that I have bought the Acer Netbook, I have also added a RW CD and DVD USB Drive. It's a Slim DVD by the Kaser Corporation.

Trouble is, when I want to play aDVD from the drive the OS comes back with this:

"Window Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible decoder is not installed on your computer."

So I am hunting for a 'Decoder' and I want to download it free.

I know some of you have bought the Acer Netbook too and may have run into similar issues.

Any idea where I can get a decoder and what I may have to look out for when installing.

Thanks for any help

Aluminum_Butt

Try THESE.

Recommend the "mega" pack.

Just for clarity - this has nothing to do with the drive itself. It's a limitation with Windows Media Player. If this doesn't fix your issue, look for a replacement player software.

Thanks for the pointers; although Ubuntu is my default OS, sometimes I need to run Windows, and I had not found any decent non-commercial codecs until now.

Ok, quick update:

couldn't find a truly FREE Codec, just getting tricked into downloading and installing and then finding out that it's just a 30 day trial license.

So, I broke down and purchased a MS approved and exclusive Codec from the Sonic stores, $14.99. Installed and voila, it's working.

Hmmm. The K-Lite codecs I recommended above are freeware. But I can see several places where you can get tricked into clicking on a Google ad for something else.

It's too late for you, I guess, but HERE'S a direct link to the right (and free) thing for posterity.

something amiss with the URL.

The webpage cannot be found

was the message

wouldn't mind having a truly free site. Can you check again, please

Jerry Johnston

Sorry Jorgen, about the site I sent you to. I see where they switched you to something else. At least you have the problem soled and it was probably worth the $15 just to get passed the problem.

something amiss with the URL.

The webpage cannot be found

was the message

wouldn't mind having a truly free site. Can you check again, please

Sorry about that - the link is session-dependent. Try THIS ONE. Then click on MajorGeeks [uSA] or Majoreeks [uSA2] in the middle of the screen under Downloads.

Archived