IGNORED

All things being equal ....

Scoots

I'm looking at a couple of different bikes for sale and the decision is tough.

Both bikes are R100RS's, one being a 1981 and the other being a 1989. Both of them have been very well cared for and reguarly maintenanced.

All things being equal would you opt for the older or newer model?

Thanks for your input!

The '81 has just over 65k miles for $5K. Older fellow selling & no longer riding.

The '89 has less than 40k miles for just under $3.5K. Fellow recently lost his job & selling bike, boat, jet ski, 5th wheel .....

I can have either bike rebuilt, if needed, but that's not the case. I'd rather have the better of the 2 models.

Definitely absolutely the '89. No comparison. It has the more modern frame with the paralever (single) swing arm, a more modern engine built for unleaded gas, better electrics. If I remember well all '89 RS were white. Is it?

80-81 brought changes to the flywheel.

My 1980 RT ran (runs) flawlesly w/over 100k on it.

The 89 has new design and is "better".

But, what do you want?

How much are you going to ride it?

Etc.

Nothing wrong w/'81 but you're probably better off w/'89 as Paul stated.

Pics?

Yea, get the 89 model. I have a 81 R100RT and though I think it is better than the earlier pre 81 models ie it stops better, it is still a twin legger and the suspension and brakes on the 89 are far better. K bike forks/brakes and the monoshock rear is definetly a plus over the older model. The only detriment to the newer bike is that I think it will be down a little on HP compared to the older bike. I think the newer bike has smaller carbs. The older bike probably has 40mm Bings. The newer 38mm Bings.

Cycle Magazine's road test of the 1977 R100RS shows a wet weight of 543 lbs. Weight remained the same until the 1988 model, which Motorcyclist lists at 505 lbs. wet. Front end was also updated on 1988+ bikes.

Archived