IGNORED

Help with speed bleeders

CrazyPuli

I am trying to do a brake flush for the first time and decided to change all the bleed screws to speed bleeders. Everything went fine for the front and rear calipers but I am having trouble with the wheel circuits.

One of the bleeders will not seal. It is the #2 screw on the front circuit. I don't have a picture, sorry, but I'm not sure if it matters. I tightened it till it set but when I squeeze the lever it shoots fluid out of the end. I tried putting the original one back in (honestly don't know if it was the exact same one) but it still shot out fluid when I squeezed the handle. (I do have the tube stuck on the end so I'm not getting fluid everywhere.)

Now when you order the speed bleeders they tell you to buy two different kinds. SB7100S (4) and SB7100 (2). I assumed that the two SB7100 replace the two taller bleed screws in the control module. I wasn't sure if that was the case so I switched the leaking SB7100S with one of the SB7100's. The one that was leaking before did not leak in the new location and the one that had not leaked before was leaking in this #2 slot.

Does anybody have any idea why this particular location will not seal up. I had already replaced four others on the module as well as the three on the calipers with no problem. I'm also afraid that I have taken these things in and out enough so that the sealant is shot. i don't think that is the problem though since the one I moved out of that location is sealing.

Anybody have any ideas? I am frustrated and I hope somebody has had to deal with this before because I don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bleeders are a pain if you are not familiar with them. They may feel seated, but they really are not. Try a little more persuasion tightening it down, but not too much that it strips. It really sound like it is not fully seated.

Make sure you have the right size bleeders. If they don't seat correctly you will have problems. If the base threaded section is too long, you can have problems. Compare the SB base to the originals you removed and go from there if different.

I ordered what was on their (Speed Bleeder's) application chart so I think I'm okay. Everything appears to be alright now.

Did this to save the $280 quoted to me by dealer. It cost me more than half of that since I had to buy the funnel thing from Beemer Boneyard, plus the speed bleeders, misc. tools and fluids. Next time, if there is a next time, will be much cheaper and easier.

This is the first time I've ever worked on brakes. I've always been afraid to. You know, the need to stop and all. Glad I did it now. A couple hours ago not so much. Next ride....?

Did this to save the $280 quoted to me by dealer. It cost me more than half of that since I had to buy the funnel thing from Beemer Boneyard, plus the speed bleeders, misc. tools and fluids. Next time, if there is a next time, will be much cheaper and easier.
Of course there will be a next time!!! Now you have learned an important service procedure and have the tools and experience to make the next brake service much quicker, cheaper and more enjoyable! Plus, now you have a better understanding of how the thing works. If we didn't enjoy these challenges our BMWs present, we would all ride Hondas!
I had to buy the funnel thing from Beemer Boneyard, plus the speed bleeders

As an alternative, it's possible to use a plastic funnel with a long narrow spout, and a rubber stopper, and just drill a hole the right size in the rubber stopper. This solution costs probably around $10.

There are photos and instructions somewhere on this site - unless they've been purged due to age.

Archived