IGNORED

Headlight not on, switch bad?

Steve Kolenda

Steve Kolenda

I posted yesterday about a problem with my 2000 R1100RT windshield not going down all the time. I am on the road so I have not had a chance to do the recommended trouble shooting but today I have a new problem in that my headlight does not come on. I normally run my high beam and during the day I noticed that the high beam indicator light was out. After checking it out, it appears that I have no headlight neither high nor low. Although if I press and hold the high beam momentary part of the switch the high beam comes on until I release it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Steve

Steve Kolenda

I switched out the load relief relay and that is not the problem. I didn't think it was due to the fact that in the momentary position the headlight lights and I would think if the relay was not working I would get no light in any position. It appears to me in looking at the wire diagram that there is nothing else between the switch and the headlight. Can someone confirm this. The switch appears to be $131.00 and I would like to have a little more confidence that the switch is the culprit before ordering one.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Steve, a quick guess would be a problem in the hi/lo switch.. IF, you have the flash to pass operational that should tell you that you have power INTO the switch,, if you have an actual high beam when pressing flash to pass then that tells you that you at least have continuity from the switch to the high beam bulb..

Twisty

If the wiring is similar to the early UK R1150RT's, then that may mean that the power feed to the righthand headlight 'on' switch has gone open circuit. The reason your main beam momentary system works is because the supply is paralleled off at point 15e (on my wiring diagram. When you make the momentary switch on the LH switch,this powers up your main beam (with idiot light).

If so I would suspect your RH light switch assembly.

Andy

Steve,

I had the exact problem with my R1100RT (1996). I replaced the bulb, but the problem remained. I took apart the switch holder on the handlebar and jumped the switch terminals, and the light came on, showing that it was (in fact) the switch that was not working right.

I solved the problem by opening up the switch cover (inside the black switch assembly on the handlebars), and spraying some contact cleaner (available at any hardware store or Radio Shack) in the switch mechanism. The switch gets dirty and gummy, and this cleans the contacts. Now my switch works better than when I bought it!

Roger ('06 1200RT)

..I had the exact problem with my R1100RT (1996). ... I took apart the switch holder on the handlebar and jumped the switch terminals....I solved the problem by opening up the switch cover (inside the black switch assembly on the handlebars), and spraying some contact cleaner (available at any hardware store or Radio Shack) in the switch mechanism.....Roger ('06 1200RT)

If you do do this (and it's a good idea), then be very carful because there are some mighty small springs and ball bearings lurking inside. If these decide to make a run for it, you will be searching for eternity to find them on the floor (if that's even where they choose to roost)!

So proceed with due diligence.

Andy

Archived