IGNORED

R1100S

MWS

Things I should look for on this bike.

I know K bike's but not R's.

We will be test riding Tue's, and looking it over closer.

Tip's from more experienced R people would be great!

Thanks!

ShovelStrokeEd

Not a whole lot goes wrong with these bikes. Their lighter weight pretty much keeps the final drives and transmissions healthy.

Look carefully around the bell housing to engine or bell housing to transmission case joints for signs of oil seepage. This can be an indicator of a bad seal, either transmission or crankshaft.

Color and smell of engine oil might reveal neglect. Ditto the condition of the air filter.

The steering damper has a tendency to seize. I just removed mine when it did so and never a head shake except when exiting bumpy first or second gear corners hard on the gas and well leaned over. Nothing unmanageable but it would want to wiggle the bars some.

If you do get the bike, there are some useful mods you can do that will improve the steering and handling.

Replace the rear drag link with a shorter one, one from a "Prep" or Replica model or one of the after market links. It will raise the rear ride height and thus quicken the steering.

A mod to the air box will get you a couple of RWHP as will either a Laser or Z-technic exhaust and a generic chip from Laser.

While the investment is large, a replacement of the factory shocks with Ohlins and a proper setup by someone who knows what they are doing is, IMHO, worth the money.

The bike is NEVER going to perform up to that of a late model 600cc sport bike but will give a very good account of itself in tight roads with a good rider aboard.

Thanks Ed and hANN, It's for Lynn, so it's all up to her on the test ride.

If she likes it, it will be her touring bike, the Softail is just not that compfy as a travel bike for her.The Softail will be relegated to what it does best......looking purty.

If it were for me, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Hopefully I might get to ride the S once in a while!

ShovelStrokeEd

Actually the R1100S is a very comfy bike. The seating position is by no means extreme. I often rode mine for 10-12 hours at a stretch with no issues other than a little one with the padding in the stock seat. Easily fixed with a sheepskin atop.

Biggest problem I had was not enough fuel capacity. 170 miles was pushing it.

Not a whole lot goes wrong with these bikes. Their lighter weight pretty much keeps the final drives and transmissions healthy.

Look carefully around the bell housing to engine or bell housing to transmission case joints for signs of oil seepage. This can be an indicator of a bad seal, either transmission or crankshaft.

Color and smell of engine oil might reveal neglect. Ditto the condition of the air filter.

The steering damper has a tendency to seize. I just removed mine when it did so and never a head shake except when exiting bumpy first or second gear corners hard on the gas and well leaned over. Nothing unmanageable but it would want to wiggle the bars some.

If you do get the bike, there are some useful mods you can do that will improve the steering and handling.

Replace the rear drag link with a shorter one, one from a "Prep" or Replica model or one of the after market links. It will raise the rear ride height and thus quicken the steering.

A mod to the air box will get you a couple of RWHP as will either a Laser or Z-technic exhaust and a generic chip from Laser.

While the investment is large, a replacement of the factory shocks with Ohlins and a proper setup by someone who knows what they are doing is, IMHO, worth the money.

The bike is NEVER going to perform up to that of a late model 600cc sport bike but will give a very good account of itself in tight roads with a good rider aboard.

I just purchased a '02 and and making all of those upgrades to mine. I heard a nasty rumor the Ohlins was going to stop making shocks for that bike but I was able to get them ordered so that rumor may be false.

Loved mine!

Was a great bike to ride in all conditions. This thing was never bothered by wind for some reason. Maybe lack of side fairings or just the low profile, it was always stable on the highway.

Like Ed, I'd only wanted longer legs on it. Other than that this was a gem!

A true riders bike.

agb9.jpg

I am wondering if for touring or long distance if the seating position would be a bit uncomfortable??

No, more comfortable than an RT.

At least many of us who don't prefer the "sit up and beg" position think so.

My friend Vic C. has ridden his all over the country and he's north of "young" :P (sorry Vic).

They are well set up easy to work on.

I've seen an S in every corner of the country and Canada that was from ;far away from there.

If someone has to, you can barback and peg the bike for more room.

I love 'em.

Great photo Eric!

The one I'm guessing we're getting is the Titan Grey/Mandarin. If the walk around Tues. checks out.

I said "getting", because when I told Lynn it was up to her on the test ride, she replied," Why, I thought we're getting it anyway?"

Photo's and silly questions to follow!

Lone_RT_rider
Yup, but has the deeper bags, and needs the jug guards!

Be careful with the full size bags. Your bike becomes wider than you think with those things on. It's a subconscious thing to think that your bike is only as wide as the widest point of the front of your bike and you can lull yourself into trying to go between things you really can't get between (like parked cars). The R1100S with standard bags is actually 2 inches wider at the rear than an R1100RT, I measured them. I ended up picking up the city bags for just this reason, and they seem to work well for 2 and 3 day weekends. Just be careful not to over pack them. The lids don't have the stiffness that the standard bag lids have and tend to flex when overstuffed, therefore loosing the seal they make in the rubber insert. Overall, I would still get a set. I hardly ever used the standard size once I acquired the city bags.

Cylinder head protectors? You never know you need them until it's too late. I would get them.

Shawn

Nice snap, Sean.

I love that color, I just couldn't find it when I was looking for one. Black is nice is a stealthy kinda way, but as with all black bikes it was hard to keep clean.

I loved the boxer cup I was babysitting for a while. The remus exhaust had a sweet note and the bike would haul even with my corpulence upon it. I just couldn't get my knees happy on the bike for more than 100 miles it seemed.

I tried a peg kit but that didn't do much for it either. I'm thinking that maybe had I done a different seat with the peg kit that may have helped the angle enough to make it good.

• 2 weeks later...
where did you get the knee pads on the tank- who makes them?

I wish I could remember. I got them for that bike back in 2005. ChrisK from this board recommended them. I thought it was A&S cycle, but I just did a search on their site and couldn't find them. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Shawn

If you want a pair of the used tank pads to try out before buying the more expensive full kit just cover the actual postage and I'll shoot mine your way.

They came on the R11S when I bought it and I've since removed them. The adhesives are still good as the pads are stored attached to a sheet of plastic non-stick film.

Again, they've seen what I'd guess is about 5k miles of wear and tear on a Garage Queen. You can pretty them up a bit with car care products, but they'll still have that experienced look about them. Note: I've made them look about as bad as I can in the attached photo. They actually look a bit better than that but I'd rather lower expectations than create false hope so that folks are surprised in a positive way when stuff arrives.

pads.jpg

Archived