IGNORED

R1100RT Blown Fuel Pump Fuse

Great White North

Great White North

Good Day all, I was out for a ride today on my 96 1100RT and the engine died very suddenly on the highway. Fortunately, I was close to home so I could get a ride and then trailer the bike back home. When I investigated, I noticed the fuel pump was not starting up and pressurizing the fuel system with 'ignition on'.

I check the fuses, and the fuel pump fuse was blown. I changed teh fuse, and wiggles any wiring I could locate that goes to the pump on the tank. No issues - bike runs just fine.

Has anyone ever seen this sympton ? I'm not so confident anymore to take the bike out on longer rides, given that I can't explain the cause of the blown fuse.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what may have caused this fuse to blow ?

Thanks in advance, and your help is much appreciated.

MLJBL

MLJBL, it could be about anything from the pump itself having issues,, to the wiring going to the pump shorting to ground,, to the fuel pump relay,, to something else on the pump circuit shorting to ground,, to a problem with the oxygen sensor or purge valve..

I don’t have my wire diagrams handy here but I believe the 02 (lambda) sensor & the evap purge valve as well as the fuel level sensor are on that same circuit.. Possibly the Motronic relay also..

About all you can do is clear all the problems areas..

Twisty

A dirty fuel filter would actually cause less current draw with this type of fuel pump, less flow = less load, same as with a vacuum cleaner. If it were a diaphragm pump then it could cause more current draw.

Great White North

Thanks, Sounds like there may be a number of source for this short. Not all easy to troubleshoot or islolate.

One thing I've noticed a few times in the past month is a smell of heated (burned??) rubber when I park the bike after a ride. I've never been able to pinpoint where it's coming from, but it was a very distinct smell. Perhaps that is related to this latest issue. I do plan on doing a semi major teardown of the bike this coming winter (that's about 6 months for us up here in Canada)and plan on taking a close look at the wiring harnesses.

You need an amp meter that has a capacity as big as the fuse. Put the meter in series with the fuse and see what the draw is in amps. If its high,follow the circuit and branches until you find what is drawing all the current.

Was the fuse blown (black spots) or did it just come apart from vibration?

I use a Fluke with a 20 amp circuit and fuse.

If its drawing 75% of the fuse rating, it maybe just a "fluke". You can also wiggle the wiring with the amp meter hooked up watching for spikes in draw. It may be good to try the amp draw from just the fuel pump.

Good luck

David

auto tech for lotsa years

Archived