IGNORED

RT tank bag

spdyjr

From time to time you see them on eBay or in the classified ads. If you buy a good used one and don't like it, it still has value to someone else. Because of that, you could say it is not ridiculously costly even if you buy a new one.

What I like about mine is that it's well built and it fits properly - easy off for fueling, weatherproof, decent map pocket, and no handlebar or windshield interference.

spdyjr, I have both a BMW tank bag & a Big Mac tank bag.. For ME the BMW tank bag is great for long trips or camping when I need all the room I can get to store things.. BUT, the BMW bag is just way too large for day to day usage for just normal riding as it comes too far back & sits pretty high..

For day to day riding & short trips I use a Big Mac tank bag mounted on a BMW removable base I bought off or Flea Bay.. This makes a great day tank bag set up if you don’t need a lot of extra storage..

Twisty

There's nothing inexpensive about owning a BMW motorcycle. They make quality accessories that last and charge a premium price for them. I get tired of the BMW products I have bought before they need to be replaced.

I've put 85,000 kms (53,000 miles) on my RT with the BMW tank bag on for every one of them. I like it. I don't find it too big at all. It just works and the on/off mechanism is a dream.

I like my BMW tank bag. I purchased it in Scottsdale Arizona and I was fortunate to get it for 30% off. They were moving to a new location and everything was on sale. I couldn't pass the great deal.

I really like the mounting on my BMW bag but I wish they made (and sold) that base so it was easily used on other designs. The OEM bag is larger than I need most of the time and intrudes slightly on me. The interior could use a divider system.

My biggest peeve, aside from the absurd price, is the map pocket's roll-up velcro. Why couldn't they use a flippable velcro-held pouch as on my buddy's last-gen K-RS OEM bag? I negotiated a hefty discount from my dealer but it was still more than any other choice.

Big Mak was going to be my next choice.

Has anyone had any experience with the BMW tank bag or an alternative to that $345 piece?

I've had the BMW bag for about 3 years and it is still as good as new. Fits well and works well, it is easy to handle when refilling the bike and is really waterproof.

I would prefer it to have some smaller compartments mounted on the sides or the rear (this would probably compromise the waterproofing) but apart from that I've not regretted buying it - even at the price.

Like a few have said, I like the tank bag but my main use is on long trips because of the water resistance and the capacity. I use a Touratech Flat Tank Bag for everyday use

- I don't really have a lot to carry so it works for me.

I got my BMW tank bag off of the classified section of this site at a good price.

Like a few have said, I like the tank bag but my main use is on long trips because of the water resistance and the capacity. I use a Touratech Flat Tank Bag for everyday use

- I don't really have a lot to carry so it works for me.

I got my BMW tank bag off of the classified section of this site at a good price.

My story is the same as above...BMW bought here from a member and small Touratech...Works for me......I modified the inards of the used BMW bag though....Cut the waterproof liner out and had an upholstry shop build a cushioned, vinyl covered bottom pad and glued it in..Easier to use and find stuff in the bag.....Now just carry a waterproof cover from an old bag in case of rain....

I bought my tank bag in 2007 and the map holder is already spliting apart. It appears the plastic doesn't like the sun!

I plan to keep the base and put another brand on it.

We sold our two BMW bags on the BMWST classifieds. They are quite popular and both sold in hours for the asking price (50% of what we paid). We now have These - Bags Connection DayPack II and much prefer them.

A lot of folks like the BMW bag, but it attaches way far back on the bike, and then projects towards your chest. It forces a full upright, cruiser like, riding position. In my case it actually wore out my riding jacket through contact with my chest, no not my pot belly, above that on my chest.

Personally, I don't think the bag allows for proper technique (kiss the mirrors) on curves.

I have the BMW tank bag on my R12RT. I also have Suburban bar backs that move the handle bars back and up about 1". The tank bag contacts the round radio control on the left handle bar when making tight left turns, turning the volume up. I am trying to come up with a cover over the round control to prevent this. Buckster

I have the BigMak tank bag on mine and like it. The bag does change radio staions or turn on a few of my accessories switches on tight turns, but it's not a big deal. The BigMak does have the advantage of flipping up to fuel, but the down side to that is that if you want to ride w/o the bag there is a plastic plate on the hinge mechanism that flops around in the wind, hence needing to remove the plate or ride with the bag on at all times (which I do).

CoarsegoldKid

Your avatar has a spelling mistake.

As for the tank bag I don't leave home without it. BMW tank bag that is for it is roomy for touring and convenient in function. Although there are times when I wish it were smaller. The clear plastic map cover will turn yellow in a couple of years even if garaged when not in use. Every tank bag I ever had had the map cover yellow and eventually become useless. I wonder if sunscreen would help?

We now have These - Bags Connection DayPack II and much prefer them.

:thumbsup: +1 Just purchased the Daypack II from Twisted Throttle (great folks to deal with) & used it yesterday for the first time. Quite an improvement, especially for "day" riding.

I plan on keeping the BMW bag for long trips but the plastic window is extremely yellow, plus has a hole in it. Be great if the map plastic could be replaced but I don't see how. Maybe check out an upholstery shop or the local cobbler; all I can think of.

I too am one that loves the BMW stock bag.

I too am one that bought a used one on ebay and put on a smaller day bag for light cruising about town. So I have both sizes and both on the ever so cool attaching plate.

The original is great and a perfect size. Took it with me this summer on a ride up to Alaska and back. Fellow riders were envious about how easily it comes off and on at gas breaks, etc. Tons of storage too. I did buy a wolfman rain jacket for it. It folds flat and I keep it in on the inside zipper portion of the flap - works like it was made for it.

Good luck on you search.

I'm one who also likes the BMW tank bag, with qualifications. Were it not for the convenience of the mounting system I would likely have chosen another bag. That feature alone was enough to sway me. In my opinion the BMW bag is quite short on features (especially considering the price). Given a bag of this size, adding several exterior zipper pouches and someting inside to segregate contents would seem to be a no brainer. Essentially it's a great big open bag.

I ride 2 up quite a bit and it's great for those situations. For other times I would prefer a smaller bag and will probably keep my eye out for a BMW mount (or fabricate something), and mount a smaller bag on that. Having 2 would be the best of both worlds for me.

What's amazing about the BMW bag is it actually has an expansion zipper to make it even bigger! Anyone ever used that?

I use the Marsee which is mounted on a ring around the gas cap.

Not quite as convenient, but does come on and off rather easily and is half the price !

The versatility of the bag in terms of pockets, etc is also superior

Rocket_Cowboy

The only problem I have with the BMW tank bag is the map window on top. It's odd shaped, and discolors from the sun way too easily.

I replaced the BMW tank bag with a custom made back from customtankbags.com. While my new tank bag is much more functional, nothing is as quick and easy to use as the original BMW bag was.

just came back from a 500 mile tour around shropshire in britain with my wife.Found the bmw tankbag to be ideal for the short trips when we had arrived at our hotel.Fully expanded it held a great deal of stuff and didnt interfere with any aspects of riding the bike ,even on full lock.Am very pleased with it,despite the initial cost wnen bought brand new with the bike.I would highly recommend it

garlee 08 1200rtse sandbeige

I have a question about the BMW bag and others: I have Suburban bar backs. I bought a small Marsee bag, but because of the bar backs turning the bars left honked the horn, turning right turned on the heaters. I sold it. I use an Oxford Sport magnetic bag, which stays in place just by its weight, and which is an extremely well made bag, but would prefer something that mounts more securely.

The question: anyone with the bar backs have a suggestion for a bag that will not-honk and not-heat?

Has anyone come up with a clean & easy way to secure the BMW tank bag to the bike? If I have to use the rest facility at a gas station I don't want to have to take the bag with me every time to prevent some quasi-honest person from swiping it. I know no lock is perfect and a thief will get it if he wants it but I'd like some way to help keep an honest person honest and my bag on the bike without too much fuss.

Has anyone come up with a clean & easy way to secure the BMW tank bag to the bike? If I have to use the rest facility at a gas station I don't want to have to take the bag with me every time to prevent some quasi-honest person from swiping it. I know no lock is perfect and a thief will get it if he wants it but I'd like some way to help keep an honest person honest and my bag on the bike without too much fuss.

Lock your handlebars to the left. When I do that, the BMW tank bag is impossible to remove.

Grumpy-ol-Fart

I'll share the only thing about the BMW tank bag that really annoyed me...and my story is probably unique.

I finally broke down and bought the bag before I went on a 3500-mi. jaunt through 10 states a couple months back. I'm by nature a tight wad and $300 is a chunk for a tank bag.

I was satisfied with the functionality of the bag. I particularly liked the map pouch, which is fairly large, since I adamantly refuse to buy a GPS. Even though you have to remove the bag to fuel the bike, no problem, click, lift, off. I thought, what a convenient place to set the bag, right there on the tail rack. I made it through Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico, without any problems. Then I'm back in Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain. I make my last stop for fuel, remove the tank bag and set it on the tail rack, just the same as every other fuel stop, I'm fillin' away and a gust of wind blows the bag off the tail rack. The bag lands on the corner of the plastic base and off pops the right side pivot point. Well sh#%* says I, who the hell decided to make the point of the base plate, which is a pretty logical impact point if you happen to drop the damn thing out of plastic. !$@%**!!!

After I got home, I repaired with epoxy, don't know how well it will work, I haven't used it since. Word of warning; set your bag on the ground when you're fueling up. You can't very well drop it if it's sitting on the ground...

Word of warning; set your bag on the ground when you're fueling up. You can't very well drop it if it's sitting on the ground...

Oh, I thought you were going to tell everyone to avoid Oklahoma if they have a tank bag. :rofl:

Sorry about the bag Tim.

I have bar backs and the BMW RT tank bag and have full clearance of all controls.

Thanks. Anything else, perhaps a little smaller?

I used an 8.5 liter RKA bag on my RT and was very happy. I transferred it to my V-Strom and it works well there too. I had Suburban risers for a while and moto-techniques risers for a while and both worked fine with the bag.

The bag has a lower compartment that I put pad, pen, flashlight, chain lube, tire gauge, sunscreen, sun glasses, hand wipes, a few paper towels, and a McNealy tire plug kit because it fits there quite nicely. In the top part I put my NorthFace rain jacket, Aerostitch glove rain covers, and the rain over for the bag. There is a clear map pocket on top that I put maps when appropriate, and also leave my NW Forest Pass in there when appropriate.

It has a three strap mounting system, two in front, one in back. There are pictures on the RKA site of how it goes on the RT. When I fuel, I simply disconnect the two front strap connectors, and flip the bag backward on the seat. When I'm done I flip it back up and connect them, tightening as necessary.

My back has about 30k miles on it and is holding up well.

My tankbag is still easily removable even with the steering locked to the left. Has there been a change in bars, switches, or bag base between '06 and '08?

I was leery about paying that much for a bag, but I asked the counter girl if I could try it out on the bike and she said sure. The thing sells itself. Once I clicked it on and off they had me hooked. I hemmed and hawed at the counter though and she gave me $50 off because of a sale that was starting the next day.

The thing is well insulated and can be used to keep things cool if you put one or two frozen half liter bottles of water in there. Several hours after loading up and traveling through Lancaster and Mojave on the way to Bishop the interior was still cool.

My tankbag is still easily removable even with the steering locked to the left. Has there been a change in bars, switches, or bag base between '06 and '08?

Hmm ... it might be that I have more switches on the bars, since I have ESA and the AM/FM stereo. I don't know if that's providing the blockage that prevents me from removing mine or not. I'll have to check again when I get home from work.

The thing is well insulated and can be used to keep things cool if you put one or two frozen half liter bottles of water in there. Several hours after loading up and traveling through Lancaster and Mojave on the way to Bishop the interior was still cool.

As we also found out, if you put your rain soaked Gerbing gloves in the tank bag, then turn them on high so they'll dry out quickly, you can create a nice sauna in the tank bag. The amount of steam that came pouring out when I finally opened the back about an hour later was impressive. :)

'06 RT ESA switches were mounted in a pod.

'07 and later was moved onto the main grip and the pod eliminated.

When I switched to the Marsee bag that I now run, I had to remove the ESA pod to be able to turn the bars lock to lock without interference. (ESA suspension had already been replaced with Ohlins).

'06 RT ESA switches were mounted in a pod.

'07 and later was moved onto the main grip and the pod eliminated.

When I switched to the Marsee bag that I now run, I had to remove the ESA pod to be able to turn the bars lock to lock without interference. (ESA suspension had already been replaced with Ohlins).

Dang ... sorry for the bad information in my previous post.

Lock your handlebars to the left. When I do that, the BMW tank bag is impossible to remove.

Thanks for the tip on locking it with the handlebar! I had planned to customise a pad lock system into it, but I am glad I don't have to now!

I like the BMW tank bag a lot! (and so does Doggie)

It expands when needed to my needs, and I put my cell phone GPS in the pocket in case I get lost in a foreign city.

BMW tank bag with Doggie

Now I'm thinking that if I can lock my helmet (cable lock) in that bar/bag area, I would also block removal of the bag. And if I could somehow position the bag's zipper pulls under the helmet...

I'll have to take a closer look later today.

Thanks for the tip on locking it with the handlebar! I had planned to customise a pad lock system into it, but I am glad I don't have to now!

I like the BMW tank bag a lot! (and so does Doggie)

It expands when needed to my needs, and I put my cell phone GPS in the pocket in case I get lost in a foreign city.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2107&d=1251738221

Check your setup first. Locking the bars works for me, but it sounds like the switchgear layout was changed between 06 (what I have) and 08, so locking the bars might not give you security you're looking for.

I also have an 08 RT with Radio controls and the anti spin button.

I just checked now and the bag is hindered when you do a steering lock , but the bag is unfortunately flexible enough to slip pass the radio control on my bike.

However; it is not a big worry for me, at least not on short gas station stops, 'cos I picture only a limited group in the public domain know about BMW's quick release for the R 1200 RT anyway :grin:

I don't like to leave the bag on when I leave the bike for a longer time or overnight though..

• 2 weeks later...

You can still remove the tankbag with the bars locked to the left.which is a shame really as it would be a handy method of securing it to the bike.I tend to put it in the topbox if stopping for a short while depending on if i have enough room in it,but it is not a very practical solution!

Archived