IGNORED

Broken Windshield Bracket

weissha

Hi all,

When I bought my 2000 R1100RT it came with a broken bracket where the windshield connects to the lower part of the lifting mechanism (photo attached). The previous owner appears to have tried to glue it with something but is didn't seem to work. I went to Honda Northwest (the local BMW dealer in Columbus) and asked them what it would cost to order a new bracket and replace it. After their mechanic had a look at it he said that the replacement woul be ~$450 because they would have to replace pretty much the entire mechanism. I find that a little hard to believe. Have any of you had the problem before or can you think of a way to permanently fix it without replacing the bracket (Duct tape doesn't count smile.gif ) ?

Harry

561304-BrokenBracket.jpg.f876961eae35bd115795e67f15f97d0e.jpg

Hard to tell since I'm not near a real RT but according to this:

RealOEM

it appears to be part 17 or part 9, which costs $15.44 and 42.94, respectively. The $450 price is for the whole enchilada but you don't need that unless everything, including the motor, is broken.

Steve

Thanks everybody. I'll check out the sites. I had problems believing that the entire thing would have to be replaced. It kind of worries me that a BMW dealership would tell me that though.

Harry

• 1 month later...
Thanks everybody. I'll check out the sites. I had problems believing that the entire thing would have to be replaced. It kind of worries me that a BMW dealership would tell me that though.

Harry

I got the same story from Puget Sound BMW in Tacoma, WA. And they quoted $800 for what they call "the rack", the whole assembly, plus about $300 labor to replace it.

Pilgrim

I got the same story from Puget Sound BMW in Tacoma, WA. And they quoted $800 for what they call "the rack", the whole assembly, plus about $300 labor to replace it.

Pilgrim

I gotta chime in here with my experience. A little over a year ago I noticed one of the windshield mounting screw holes had stripped its threads. I was thinking I'd just have to buy that one part but was told by the dealer the entire mechanism would have to be replaced and they'd do it under warranty because they noticed some "play" in the windshield's operation. I objected saying I was the culprit and that the part itself wasn't to blame. They smiled and said they'd take care of it under warranty. In other words "Shut up! It's free!"

I was told the windshield assembly cost $380 plus four hours to R&R. At that rate we're talking about $700. I've been much more careful tightening the windshield mounting screws since then but am glad to know these parts can be had separately.

Four hours to R&R the windshield assembly is ridiculous, unless in comes as a box of loose parts that you have to put together. The only time-consuming part is getting to it - the windshield, dashboard, and nose fairing have to come off. I had to replace the plastic base plate on mine, and even with having to take the whole assembly apart and put it back together multiple times, it wasn't four hours.

You've already been pointed to the right sources for the part number, but echoing the others, the bracket can easily be replaced by itself. I've done it. You don't even have to disassemble anything if you are careful to not loose the two cir-clips holding it on down into the bike. DAMHIK.

Unfortunately it appears that the previous owner used a cyanoacrylate adhesive "super glue". What leads me to that is the white frosting on the parts. I could have suggested another adhesive which would get you by for a longer time until you felt like replacing the bracket but to use one now would mean disassembly of the bracket anyway to clean it with acetone and remove the other adhesive. You’re better off just replacing the bracket.

my 2 cents

Archived