IGNORED

Which Tires Get the Most Mileage?

MarcParnes

Hi Guys,

A couple of buddies and I are going to do a cross country trip in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to which tires give the best wear on a R12RT. Since I've always been more interested in handling I don't have any experience with which brands/models are considered high mileage. There will be a lot of interstate included. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Marc

Hi Marc,

I don't think you will get a consensus on this topic. Different people get different results with different tires.

I believe the highest mileage tires are the Metzler 880 Marathons. But, with those tires you will not get the same degree of wet weather grip.. I don't believe they actually make a true R1200RT rear tire at 55Z which is the size. But, my understanding is many people use the closest size.

I haven't used them myself on my R1200RT. But, I used them on my old LT and got good wear. They have a very hard rubber compound and are designed for long distance touring rather then sport riding.

There are companies like Dunlop that make dual compound tires (Road Smarts). Also, Michelin makes a Pilot Road 2 which is a dual compound tire. Both are dual compound in the rear only !!

My experience with the Road Smart was not high mileage. The most I was able to get was 7K. My last set is spent and they are at about 5.6K.. I am going to try the Pilot Road 2 next.

Good Luck

I've heard that the Pilot Road gets good mileage. I checked the Metzler site but they don't make a Marathon in the size I need which is 180/55 17. Is the Pilot Road the next best?

Thanks,

Marc

I did an 11,000 mile trip from Minnesota to the Left Coast, up to Alaska, and back to the Midwest using Metzler 880s (closest size). This is my second set of these tires. I'm not terribly aggressive when I ride, and on this trip the bike was loaded for a five-week trip. It rained over half the time I was on the road. The tires handled well -- again, remember that I was not riding aggressively. Road conditions in norther B.C., the Yukon Territory, and parts of Alaska were sometimes pretty bad -- but the tires handled it. I did NOT go up the Haul Road -- stayed on (mostly) paved roads on my R1200RT. There was still a little bit of tread left when I got back. YMMV.

Do you happen to remember what size you used?

Thanks,

Marc

I did an 11,000 mile trip from Minnesota to the Left Coast, up to Alaska, and back to the Midwest using Metzler 880s (closest size). This is my second set of these tires. I'm not terribly aggressive when I ride, and on this trip the bike was loaded for a five-week trip. It rained over half the time I was on the road. The tires handled well -- again, remember that I was not riding aggressively. Road conditions in norther B.C., the Yukon Territory, and parts of Alaska were sometimes pretty bad -- but the tires handled it. I did NOT go up the Haul Road -- stayed on (mostly) paved roads on my R1200RT. There was still a little bit of tread left when I got back. YMMV.

This from Paul Mihalka from another thread gives the size:

You can mount the 170/60x17 ME880 on the rear of the R1200RT, instead of the stock 180/55x17 tires. Many people have done that and are happy with it.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

I currently have Michelin Pilot Road 2. 12,500 on Rear and 10,500 on front--both are ready to be changed.

My previous set was Conti Road Attack and I got 8,100 on rear and 10,100 on Front.

I think the PR2 are dual compound front and rear.

If you don't want to run ME880s front and rear, the Z6 front works well with an 880 rear and lets you use sport touring rubber on at least one wheel. I'm on my third (or maybe fourth) set of this combination. It's been my experience that the Z6 front and ME880 rear wear at about the same rate. The ME880 rear tires have returned about 60% more miles than anything else I've tried.

I have gotten the most mileage out of the Metzler Roadtech Z6 than any other tire I have run on any of my BMWs. They were what came on the bike. Before my R12rt, I would be lucky to get 10 k out of a set.

The Z6 also seems to handle nicely, and sticks to the road well. Comes in the correct size for the bike as well.

If you need both mileage and some sport when you get there I would point you to the roadsmarts or the PR2's. The PR2's I used personally and found their wear characteristics to be quite good: they kept their profile longer than most other tires I have had although they do get a bit 'squirmy' after they get worn.

JT

I'm at 9,600 mi. on PR2's and guess I have about 10% remaining. Front and rear are both equally worn and have no major cupping or odd patterns. I was happy with the performance of my previous tires, Z6's, too, but they were replaced at 7K mi.

My next pair will be the PR2's. They're expensive but their cost-per-mile is reasonable. Plus they're excellent performers.

Let's not forget that the only meaningful tire mileage comparisons between brands is if it is on the same bike, same rider, same roads. Otherwise they are completely meaningless.

My experience is that the highest mileage good handling tires are the Metzeler ME880. As I use 4 to 5 rear tires a year, I tried a few.

I can't say enough about the Michelin Pilot Road 2ct's. I'm on my 6th set. I get anywhere from 8000 to 9500 miles per set. The tire handles good for the first 5k, then its just a tire for the rest of its life which is still great for touring. The tire holds a plug good if plugging is needed. Its great on curvies or interstate I luv the tire for sport touring. I also luv your balancing set up. Thanks Dee Jones

ShovelStrokeEd

I have gotten superb results out of the new Pilot Roads. They are what Michelin used to call the PR2CT. I'm at around 13K miles front and rear (I almost always replace as a set) and they are still going strong. Almost no squaring of the rear and what little is there can be cured by 50 miles of twisties. No cupping or any unusual wear on the front.

The tires have lost a bit of contour, going from a lightly pointy profile to a more rounded one and, at the extremes of lean angle are a bit harder to get to the edge. Still about 2mm of tread depth near the center and I expect they will make the trip from Orange County to Boulder, CO with no problems.

I will certainly replace them with the same brand and model.

I've gone through more than my share of Z 6's and love them.

That said, we've sold a lot of PR 2's lately w/reports of higher mileage return from the same riders who rode previously on Z 6's.

I'll probably stay w/the Z, but have had great feedback on the new PR.

I think a set of them should do your trip.

I only get like 6k on PR2's, same as I do on Road Attacks and Storms. M880's are much higher mileage tires.

Edit: I like the PR2's and keep coming back to them for performance, just don't think of them as high mileage.

I hear of all the high mileage claims on tires and wonder, are Colorado roads so much harder on tires then the rest of the country?? We have 400 guys and gals in our club here near Denver (BMW Motorcycle Club of Colorado) and I don't know anyone that gets more then 7-8K on a set of tires for the R1200RT at best. With the exception of the PR2s (no experience) and the 880s (which don't have a stock size) we see roughly 5K - 7K on every set of tires on the R1200RT. The fronts seem to go first. Lot's of twisties here. Anyone else in our club can chime in anytime with more info.

The Pilot Road 2 have been good to me so far. 1st set I got 15k out of both them on I am on the second set with 9k and they still have pretty good tread on em.

All right, I just passed 20K (no, that is not a typo, 20K) on my Pilot Road 2 rear, and it looks like there is plenty more to go. I have about 8K on my PR2 front and it doesn't even look worn.

My PR2s have been to Maine and back. 8K miles.

Front tire 2.5 of 4/32 remaining to wear bars.

Rear tire 3 of 7/32 remaining to wear bars.

Prior history on this bike:

Dunlop OEM tires good for 4K miles.

Michelin PR1s good for 8K+ miles. (Removed at 8K with some tread remaining.)

Metzeler Z6s good for 6K miles.

Avon Storm front good to 10K. Rear good for 6K miles.

Have not tried ME880s

I'll probably try PR2s at my next change. My experience with Metzeler 880s has not been the greatest; the rear squares off, the front cups badly, and they don't wear well enough to justify the premium price. This behavior has been true with my PC800 and with the RT.

I've tried most of them: Michelin, Dunlop, Bridgestone and Metzler (not ME880s, as these are not recommended for R12).

My experience says the Metzler Z6 goes farthest, plus feels very confidence-inspiring. In order of decreasing mileage: Metzler, Dunlop (although the new PilotRoad is worst), Michelin, Bridgestone. Price is another issue, however.

I would jump up and down with joy if I got 7K out of any brand of tire. I don’t even see 6K out of any rear tire. I have not tried any Metzler or Shinko, but nothing else goes beyond 5K. If I don’t find some PRs or RSs on sale I will try Shinko’s next.

I'll probably try PR2s at my next change. My experience with Metzeler 880s has not been the greatest; the rear squares off, the front cups badly, and they don't wear well enough to justify the premium price. This behavior has been true with my PC800 and with the RT.

The ME880 has had the LEAST squaring off of any tire I've tried on the rear of my RT. I also get about 60% more miles out of the 880 even when compared to a PR2. My 07 RT takes radials. I wonder if some of you with negative experiences with 880s had older bikes with bias ply 880s.

I am changing my PR2s tomowrrow. This will be my third set. I got 13000 miles out of both the previous sets mostly at high speed on the motorways and in all weathers. Superb tyres!!

I am changing my PR2s tomowrrow. This will be my third set. I got 13000 miles out of both the previous sets mostly at high speed on the motorways and in all weathers. Superb tyres!!

Heck, I was lucky to get 6K out of a PR or PR2 raar; that'a why I swirched to a ME880 on the rear. That's at least good for about 10K

In Texas the higher speeds, hotter temps and rough texture on the roads work against any decent tire mileage. My current front AVON Storm is approaching 9,000 miles, but I've never ever seen 6,000 miles at of any rear tire I've tried.

In Texas the higher speeds, hotter temps and rough texture on the roads work against any decent tire mileage. My current front AVON Storm is approaching 9,000 miles, but I've never ever seen 6,000 miles at of any rear tire I've tried.

I just got a little over 7k out of a rear Pilot Road 2 here in north Texas. My bike is my main transportation. I think this is my 4th rear PR2 this year. At any rate I've run BT021s and PR2s and the PR2s are in my opinion the best by far. The handle better and last around 20% longer.

:thumbsup: +1! Couldn't agree more; greatly appreciate Avon "Storms" for their sure-footiness in both the corners & wet weather. That being said, average mileage on the rear tire is between 5,300-5,800 mis.; front tire about 8-9k miles.

Rocket_Cowboy
This from Paul Mihalka from another thread gives the size:

You can mount the 170/60x17 ME880 on the rear of the R1200RT, instead of the stock 180/55x17 tires. Many people have done that and are happy with it.

This is what I had mounted on my RT for the 09 Iron Butt Rally. I was real happy with the 880 rear and Z6 front ... PLENTY of tire life.

Don_Eilenberger

While the mileage for the PilotRoad-2's seems good (mine has about 6500 miles on them, and the rear looks good for another 4k, front less..) I've found the front tends to wear odd, with a ridge developing on either side of center, which leads to a really squirrely feeling on some turns. I was initially delighted with these tires - I think now - less so.

I've heard that the Pilot Road gets good mileage. I checked the Metzler site but they don't make a Marathon in the size I need which is 180/55 17. Is the Pilot Road the next best?

Thanks,

Marc

I have PR2's on my RT - came with the purchase at 42K miles. The owner told he that the tires had 5K miles on them at that time. Now I'm at 48K miles, and the tires are still in good shape. If there were the Metzlers (Z6), I'd say I have 2K miles left, but with the PR2's - who knows. I've never gotten over 5K or 6K miles on a set of tires, so I'm pretty amazed at the PR2s. And, they are by far the best riding tire I've had to date.

I'm going to put a set of Diablo Strassas on next (since I already have a new front; just need to purchase the rear). I've had a set on my R1100RT and they rode well. However, I'm very inclined to go back to the PR2 after that. I really like this tire.

Archived