IGNORED

Bicycle tracking of information while on ride?

Firefight911

What are you cyclists using?

I'm looking to have something to track the ride, heart rate, highest rate, speed, pedal rpm, GPS maybe, all the good stuff.

I would prefer something as portable as possible as well as versatile if I go run one day instead of ride.

Input, ideas, suggestions?

Just want a good tool to help track progress of my fitness, workouts primarily around bicycles.

Here's something from the folks at Apple and Nike. You can track your stuff on line.

There's a device that connects the sensor to the iPod wirelessly; the Iphone 3G S has it built in.

Looks interesting, and you don't need to buy Nike shoes.

Garmin Edge 705 for me and 305 Edge for my wife. The 305 is more than up to the task, but the deal on the 705 was too good to pass-up. Shop around for the best price; lots of deals on Fleabay and from places like Walmart.

garmin-edge-705.jpg

Here's something from the folks at Apple and Nike. You can track your stuff on line.

There's a device that connects the sensor to the iPod wirelessly; the Iphone 3G S has it built in.

Looks interesting, and you don't need to buy Nike shoes.

I forgot about this!! I have the 3Gs. Certainly functional for a run/walk.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 305, it has settings for various sports. If you want to monitor cadence on the bicycle you have to buy an extra farkle. I thought that the chest strap would be annoying but I don't even notice that it's there.

Phil,

When I rode, in another lifetime, all I really needed was to see how long it took to get from A to B.

I had measured routes and rode through a measured mile (marked).

Granted I was riding around half a dozen routes only of 35 to 85 miles, but start and stop worked to allow me to tell if it was a good day.

Now, w/all the improved tools you can automate so much and just work on form, no more counting rpm's.

:Cool:

It's great you're anticipating the recovery phase.

Best wishes.

The forerunner is a nice bit of kit, much more versitle than my nike stuff thats only good for running. I'd look into the Garmin Forerunner Phil, the prices have come down on them recently and it will work on rides or runs equaly well.

I'm reminded of that Nike commercial where the guy runs and runs and runs... then he stops and says "I'm joe uber runner [someone famous, but it escapes me now...]. These are the Nike super shoes. I don't need them, but maybe you do"

Just get out and ride. Go like hell, and enjoy yourself.

Forerunner310XT, great, use it for walking, riding and roller-skiing and cross country skiing. GPS, hr, speed, cadence, pace downloads to google maps, create goals etc.

Suunto

They make a very extensive collection of monitors and pods to add (for running, cycling, etc.). Great quality and they offer some good software for use on your PC.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 305, it has settings for various sports. If you want to monitor cadence on the bicycle you have to buy an extra farkle. I thought that the chest strap would be annoying but I don't even notice that it's there.

I have the same. Works pretty well. Although i once used Mapsource to load a map too it and it scfewed up the software that's used to interface with the 305.

The only downside is what I call GPS "lag". It takes 10-15 seconds to register a change in distance/speed or elevation. So you tend to get rolling averages rather than accurate instantaneous data.

I mostly got it so I could see how fast I was actually running and how far I ran. But found it's a nice multifunction cyling computer as well since it can display 4 fields at once, so at a glance I get heart rate, cadence, distance and speed.

This week while hiking in a dense forest around a lake, it would have been handy to know how far we were and where we were in reference to the starting point. It also has a "virtual partner" function that allows you to race against yourself. Additonally, there are many, many, workout types preloaded.

The only downside is that it's larger tha na wristwatch, but I'll give that up for the larger display. You get used to it, and it don't really notice it's size anymore. The backlight is great for jogging at night in the winter.

IF you just do cycling, the larger units are better since they have real maps for navigating, but are obvisouly too big for just walking.

The only downside is what I call GPS "lag". It takes 10-15 seconds to register a change in distance/speed or elevation. So you tend to get rolling averages rather than accurate instantaneous data.
I'm not sure what you mean by this - mine seems to react immediately to changes. I do notice that it doesn't match the recorded 'performance' stats with the map very well once the data is downloaded - is that it?

As a small update on my quest, I went ahead and got the sensor/transmitter for my iPhone 3Gs so I could utilize the Nike+iPod feature already built in.

I've only used it twice but have to say I really like it.

During the workout you can get a voiced prompt as to where you are and it gives you voice prompted status updates throughout. It even gives you Lance Armstrong talking to you after besting a previous distance/time on a run/walk.

Great tracking function on the net after your run/walk. It tracks your pace, distance traveled, and calories burned. It shows your run in graph form so you can see how the whole run/walk went and where your pace deviated, etc.

You can set and track goals on line as well. Very user friendly and good graphical representation as to where you are and how you are doing.

There are downloadable workouts available through iTunes for a variety of different things to help you get to your workout goals.

For my running/walking I am going to stick with this as I really like it!! Once I am cleared to start riding, I'll look into getting a computer that functions in the cycling environment but in the meantime, the $30 to get this Nike+iPod active was money very well spent.

Lets_Play_Two

I asked my oldest son who is an ironman-distance triathlete (actually done Hawaii twice). He uses a forerunner 305 for everything but cycling and uses a dedicated cycling unit for that. He seems to think the non-cycling specific have too many compromises for the cycling side.

If I was a hardcore long distance triathlete or had a lot of extra cash lying around... I'd go for one of the Garmin units that includes a power meter. Heart rate is nice, but you only get a true measure of your efficincy on the bicycle by measuring the power generated... and then your aerodynamic efficiency by the speed obtained at a given power level.

Phil - no heart rate though? To me that is the most important thing.

I agree, heart rate is key. There is really no way, otherwise, to know that you are exercising at the level you need to be to improve. But, for the cost, it is good enough for now as I can't exert myself to the point of raising my heart rate to its target zone so I push myself within the limitations I have physically. I am improving though and it beats doing/having nothing for now. I can look at time to distance. Less time for a given distance = improvement.

Once I get on the bike, I will be getting something similar to, if not exactly, like yours so I have that feature.

It is an excellent point to bring up though.

Archived