IGNORED

New Honda Lightweight Sport Tourer

EffBee

It's been around in Europe for years as the Deauville, and I think it looks great for a solo rider who wants to sport tour without the weight or the complexity of a bigger bike. Honda calls it the NT700V and it's a shaft-drive V-twin with saddlebags and a fairing. Available in Nov with an MSRP of $9999 (another grand for ABS model -- wonder if it'll be the ABS from the new CBR?).

It ain't a MX bike or a quad or a Wing and it ain't a cruiser and it ain't a CBR, so the dealers won't know what to do with it (just like they don't know what to do with the ST1300). Who wants to bet you'll be able to get one for about $9K OTD within 6 months? If it's got anywhere near the performance of my 650 V-strom, I can see a new bike in my garage next year. Here's the pic:

NT700_web.jpg

Yeah, I think this is the Deauville for sure... I hear it is a nice bike but rather bland... as in not a lot of zip. Still Honda is to be thanked for offering now more than the VFR, ST1300 and Wing for Sport Touring/Touring in the US.

An attractive bike in an attractive niche. But the Pacific Coast engine (a good choice since it was solid as a rock and required about as much maintenance) was 800cc, with three valves per cylinder and hydraulic lifters, so this doesn't seem to be the same engine.

Aw crap. It's just a 5-speed.

So were some of the best RT's... :grin:

Been in Europe a long time and is solid as a rock. Same basic motor as the Pacific Coast I believe.

The PC800 had a 45-degree V-twin with solid lifters. The Deauville engine is closer to the Hawk/Africa Twin engine, a 52-degree V-twin. Having owned both motorcycles, I would be amazed if both engine weren't designed by the same engineer(s).

Oops! Brain fart -- I meant hydraulic lifters, which spoiled me for life. My biggest beef with the boxer design is the absurd 6000 mile interval to set valve clearances.

Oops! Brain fart -- I meant hydraulic lifters, which spoiled me for life. My biggest beef with the boxer design is the absurd 6000 mile interval to set valve clearances.

What?

I've always done my boxers at 12k miles. I've gone 18 on a well broken in engine that didn't move the time before....

6? Where are you getting 6? To the FIRST adjustment I thought was 6- because it's breaking in, but 12 thereafter....

have i been doing it wrong?

I believe that BMW does actually specify six but no, you're not doing it wrong. 12k or even 18k checks are fine on a settled-in oilhead/hexhead engine.

I have been keeping my radar on for a bike my wife and my son could share to get some experience on and ride with me. This is a very interesting bike to me. If it weren't for one thing I'd be down at the local Honda dealer with a deposit for the first one...

It is way overpriced.

- Only $1000 less than the F800ST, but a hundred pounds heavier, less power.

-Basically same price as the 800CC F650GS.

- $3000 more than the next closest thing to it I can think of - WeeStrom. I know the bags are a grand of that, where's the other $2000? Also 100+ pounds heavier.

$8995 OTD w/ABS and I'm in.

The PC800 had a 45-degree V-twin with solid lifters.

Hydraulic lifers, or at least mine did... :Wink:

I do have to admire a man who will admit on a public forum that he had one of these.

I do have to admire a man who will admit on a public forum that he had one of these.

:grin:

Actually, I meant... uhh... my neighbor's did... yeah, that's it...

Well, make that two as I proudly proclaim my very first bike ever was a superb 95 black and silver Pacific Coast.

Now that was a great bike! Wish I still had it.

As a previous owner of a 2001 Dullville - oops I mean Deauville ;) I think I can add some information...

My bike was the 650 version so consider that in my comments.

The engine is the same as the Hawk/Africa twin except for the shaft-drive output, to the extent that it is possible to bolt the 750 Africa Twin top-end onto them. The frame is not the same as the Hawk, just a basic beam-frame that does a reasonable job.

The handling is competent for a tourer - it is not sporty at all. Brakes likewise are competent, non-servo units. Luggage is fixed and not as large as on the RT. There is a tunnel called the 'baguette holder' that links the luggage at the upper-rear end.

Fuel usage was (from memory) in the order of 40mpg imperial - about 32mpg US - when ridden two-up and loaded. In this configuration the limitations of the bike show through - the engine is not enough for two-up touring. The newer bike has the latest Honda FI and will probably be better on fuel.

Ridden solo the bike fails to inspire - the unfaired NTV was a good lightweight. The Deauville's tupperware however handicaps performance to a considerable degree. When the 700 first appeared in Europe a couple of years ago I test-rode on and little had changed - it needs to go up to the 750 at least. The little bike is somewhat overweight - Honda list its dry weight as 139KG for the ABS version, some 10kg more than a fully-loaded R1200RT's dry-weight.

With an output of 65 HP (my 650 was 60 HP) there is not enough grunt for the weight.

All of that said, it is a competent touring bike for the solo rider, cheap to buy and own, reliable and with a few nice touches. My bike came from the dealer with HISS immobilizer and Smartwater anti-theft as standard.

My bike was built by Montessa-Honda in Barcelona and I quite liked the idea of the link to those lovely Spanish machines of yore.

In summary, it is not a lightweight and it is not a sporttourer.

edit: Perhaps I should add that the Deauville was the best-selling touring bike in the UK for several years in the early 21st century. Oh, and I took mine to the town of Deauville just for the hell of it :D

Andy

The little bike is somewhat overweight - Honda list its dry weight as 139KG for the ABS version, some 10kg more than a fully-loaded R1200RT's dry-weight.

With an output of 65 HP (my 650 was 60 HP) there is not enough grunt for the weight.

I think you mean a somewhat overweight 239kg dry.

The little bike is somewhat overweight - Honda list its dry weight as 139KG for the ABS version, some 10kg more than a fully-loaded R1200RT's dry-weight.

I think you mean a somewhat overweight 239kg dry.

OOps, yes I did mean 239kg dry.

It is perhaps worth pointing out that the Deauville is popular with motorcycle couriers and has a bullet-proof reputation. There is also a police version - Leicstershire constabulary has some for use in our narrow city streets. This is the best picture I could find of a police version:

dsc06725.jpg

Andy

Why not just buy a Honda VFR with Heli-bars? Small, nimble, fast, has luggage and ABS and they are just about giving away leftover 07 and 08 models........

Roy, you are always a wealth of knowledge! You should start a business selling only leftover motorcycles that need a little PR to find an owner. You would do well and your customers would be happy!

The Dauville has been on sale here in Canada for at least a year (maybe 2 not sure)

It is a rather bland and outdated machine. I haven't seen one on the road yet. I do see dealers discounting them however. I think the Dauville will have a short career in North America.

Well, at first I thought this is the ONE! But, like EffBee, I now own a Suzuki Wee Strom and I don't think this Honda is likely to be near as competent a machine. I think this is a case of too little too late as far as design, innovation, performance. Will go down as another poor selling "sport tourer".

It may not be a lightweight Andy and it's certainly not a sports bike but it does still have enough get up and go to embarrass the vast majority of cars on the road. Its suspension is good and the handling is dependable with no nasty surprises lurking if you get a bit excited. The linked brakes are excellent and the quality of finish is amongst the best available.

But head and shoulders above all of that is the fact that here, in the UK, is a shaft drive motorcycle that is (almost) fully faired with factory fitted luggage for £7,600 (with ABS). The cheapest you'll get a comparable BMW would be £11,300 for an R1200RT [and no the F800ST is not a competitor to the Deauville in my book, it is just too sporty, ironically] whilst the ST1300 will set you back £12,600.

The NTV doesn't have the sophistication of the RT or the ST but it does have dependability. An interesting exercise that I have developed in recent times is to simply Google a product with the term "problems" after the name; it makes interesting reading, but don't start with the Deauville - you won't find much!!!

Oh, and why haven't I got one? Because I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford a 1200GS and because I don't have to rely on that for daily transport...

Derek

R1200GS

Ducati Monster S2R800

Francois_Dumas

Missed this thread for some reason.... (blind??).

I test-rode the Deauville before deciding on my current RT.

It was too small for me (I am 6'1), it didn't have nearly enough power to pass anything safely (50 HP at the time), and the cases are fixed (great for lane splitting into work, not good for going on any longer trip).

It is generally advised here as a beginner's bike, that's why I tried it.

And I decided to 'begin' on the RT in the end and never looked back.

How about this bike for a woman who isn't interested in high performance and doesn't do a lot (but some) long distance. I'm seriously considering it for my average-sized (5'6") wife. Too heavy? Too tall? It would be a graduation for her from a 250 Ninja beginner bike.

How about this bike for a woman who isn't interested in high performance and doesn't do a lot (but some) long distance. I'm seriously considering it for my average-sized (5'6") wife. Too heavy? Too tall? It would be a graduation for her from a 250 Ninja beginner bike.

It's 500+ lbs. wet. You'd have to judge if she has the upper body strength for that. However, coming from a 250 Ninja and only being 5-6, she's not a candidate for a Wee or V-strom as they're too tall. I'd suggest a used SV650 (probably not the S model as the riding position is a bit steep), or perhaps a nice Suzuki ES500 twin. Both are sporty without being pure sport, with similar riding position to her Ninja and pretty low seat heights.

IMOO but Honda hasn't gotten anything in the motorcycle world right, in the last 10 years or more.

I love their technology and quality and smoothness, but every model they come out with is grossly deficient in improtant areaS.

This one with 5 speeds and no power is rediculous.

I don't even look at HONDDA motorcycles anymmore, their last new model the FURY, their can't be more than one person in the world who would buy that.

again, IMOO

As far as I am aware, Honda has no plans to import the Deauville to the USA. In my opinion, an SV650 is probably going to be too tall, although it's a great bike. Here's what may be a surprise suggestion: Triumph Bonneville. They have one with a low seat (29.5") that should work well for a person with short legs. Reasonable handlebar width gives useful leverage for the Triumph's 500 lb wet weight.

Deauville is perfect fit for a lady or guy who leaves home early.

No power for turning back the clock.

Mechanics are everlasting proved V2 and shaft drive. If luggage size is enough, it´ll make great tourer for solo.

The Dauville has been on sale here in Canada for at least a year (maybe 2 not sure)

It is a rather bland and outdated machine. I haven't seen one on the road yet. I do see dealers discounting them however. I think the Dauville will have a short career in North America.

My mistake. It's the Honda Varadero that is on sale in Canada.

It is on their web site and even mentions it as newly arrived in the U.S.

Son of a gun. Unfortunately, I don't consider "capability that’s been wowing Europeans for over a decade." the sort of advertising copy that is going to stampede customers Honda's way. Hey, you Americans are so stupid, you'll go for a 10-year old design. In Honda-speak, "NT" stands for "new technology" and the NT700T is anything but. This bike would have probably been a hit in 1999, but it's 2009, going on 2010.

Advertised curb weight (always suspect) is 569 pounds (with ABS). The engine is 120cc smaller than the old PC800, which weighed 640 pounds, so I'm guessing that performance will be comparable, although EFI and 4-valve heads may allow them to wring about the same horsepower (but less torque) out of the smaller engine. PC800 performance wasn't thrilling, but I never felt that it lacked enough power to do what was asked of it -- even two-up it could get a speeding ticket in any state. At least they gave the NT700T a gallon more fuel capacity than the old PC.

As a smallish rider, the NT700T is the touring bike I was begging Honda to import a decade ago. Now that they finally have brought it over, I've got a boxer, and I rather like the thrust of an 1100cc engine, 7 gallons of fuel, adjustable windscreen, heated grips, and the comfort of the telelever suspension.

I wonder if Honda will be able to move them at $11,000 (plus shipping, tag, tax, and title) with ABS? In this economy, I'm smelling fire sale discounts about a year from now -- if they last that long. I still remember 1990, when you could pick up a leftover Hawk GT or GB500 for a song.

It could be that they want to pre-empt an F800RT which would likely sell for 12 to $14k. They know there is a group of people that will buy their product on name alone and another based solely on price.

Also the big markets (cruiser and sportbike) are beginning to wane and this might fill some of the void, albeit small. These people do their homework, although they've been known to guess wrong in the past. I had a Yamaha shop in the 80's and like the Hawk and GB500, some of the best bikes (to me), the Seca 650, 550 Vision, and XV920R just wouldn't leave the premisis. I used to call 'em showroom stalagtytes. A bike that did sell was the XS650 twin, mainly because it was cheap. Like the Deaville, it had been around a long time and they could amortize the tooling costs.

BMW would be smart to build an RT version of the 800. A lot of aging boomers are ready to down-size. Whether they will or not depends on how they see it affecting 1200RT sales, which it would. But they might sell enough to offset the downside.

I stopped at a dealer in N. Georgia Saturday. No ETA. They did have one of the hugely overpriced DN-O1s on the floor. I suspect it uses the same 680cc engine, but weighs even more (claimed 600 pounds), delivers less power because of the automatic transmission, and has no cargo capacity. Side cases are rumored to be a coming option for the DN-01, which will make it even heavier and more expensive.

So this thing is only about 50-80lbs lighter than the RT (630 wet with luggage)? Seems a little porky. Although it's 200lbs lighter than a ST1300.

Not a bad concept if it had the VFR engine or an otherwise updated engine.

It's 500+ lbs. wet. You'd have to judge if she has the upper body strength for that. However, coming from a 250 Ninja and only being 5-6, she's not a candidate for a Wee or V-strom as they're too tall. I'd suggest a used SV650 (probably not the S model as the riding position is a bit steep), or perhaps a nice Suzuki ES500 twin. Both are sporty without being pure sport, with similar riding position to her Ninja and pretty low seat heights.

I am 5'6 1/2" (lost 1/4" in past 10 years) with a 30" inseam. With motorcycle boots I just about put my whole foot down. It's all about the inseam and length of the foot, be you a man or woman. Men generally have long torsos and women shorter torsos. Men almost always have longer feet; that's why a guy with a shorter inseam, but with a longer foot reaches the ground same as me.

I hope she test rides the SV650 and the DL650. I have owned both and love the weight of the Wee. The bike is balanced and instills confidence. I hope she finds the perfect feel and fit.

So this thing is only about 50-80lbs lighter than the RT (630 wet with luggage)? Seems a little porky. Although it's 200lbs lighter than a ST1300.

Not a bad concept if it had the VFR engine or an otherwise updated engine.

No, it is 10KG heavier (dry) than the RT...

Andy,

BMW quotes its weights for the 1200RT without the sidecases -which weigh as a pair a good 10kg. The cases of the Deauville are probably included in the quoted weight as they are non-detachable.

Generally it shows how damn clever BMW are at taking the weight out of touring machines - probably the most clever company in the world at the moment. Indeed sometimes they take too much weight out and then things like hub-carriers and final drives fall apart.

The Honda does have the disadvantage of water-cooling appendages, but they could probably do better at weight reduction, but again at what cost?

I think the Deauville sounds like a great little bike for solo touring at a fraction of the price of a fully faired BMW.

Best regards

The weight issue is important, but not a deal breaker. It all depends on where the weight is and how it feels to the individual rider. Also, old technology is not all bad. It helps keep the purchase and maintenance costs down. You can do a lot of the repair work yourself without needing high tech diagnostic tools. Simplicity, reliability and cost effectiveness are all positive attributes.

• 1 month later...

This would be the perfect bike for my dad if it weren't for the seat height! My dad is 79 and came off his Gold Wing 1.5 years ago because of the weight of the bike and the need to have knee replacement. He's in good shape now and wants to ride again, but the Gold Wing is still too much weight and the only bikes with a moderately low seat height for him are the cruisers. He doesn't want to go with a cruiser because he still wants a bike that will corner and handle well. This Honda could be the answer with shaft drive, decent fairing, hard luggage, decent handling, and much lower weight than the Gold Wing.

Anyone know if the NT700V could be lowered a bit? A custom seat could bring the seat height down some. I wonder if you could lower the suspension just a bit?

Question? What do you think this thing will cruise at w/o vibes and engine stress?? I'm just saying.......

My old 650 Deauville would cruise happily at 90 solo. With a passenger it struggled on hills, needing down-shifts on long, steep hills.

Two-up I cruised at 70-80 without issues.

Andy

My dad would only be riding solo and he weighs only 150 lbs, so I don't think power would be a huge issue. It's the seat height that's the big issue with him and finding a suitable bike.

I think this bike's performance is comparable to the BMW K75. I did over 300K miles on the K75 bikes. More power is nice, but I was never held up because of lack of power. Mostly riding alone, often packed for touring, occasional riding/touring two-up. Frequent fun days on Reg Pridmore's CLASS track schools.

Archived