IGNORED

For you Subaru fans

BULLman

Lone_RT_rider
Must be some sort of generation gap going on, 'cause I don't get it. :S

Pilgrim

Yeah.... me either. Wasted rotational force not translated into linear motion. :dopeslap:

Though I used to do donuts in the high school parking lot in my 74 340 Duster. I guess its not a lot different.

Shawn

For those that don't get it, I can assure you, having gone drifting, that it is an unbelievably amazing experience. The skill to negotiate, deliberately, a course at 70 - 90 mph vehicle speed with the wheel speed in the vicinity of 120 mph is unreal.

The movement of the steering wheel is so fast and the application of brake and throttle so intense that you will walk away amazed . . . and shaking your head that you just witnessed a brand new set of tires go up in smoke in about 5 - 10 minutes. :grin:

For those that don't get it, I can assure you, having gone drifting, that it is an unbelievably amazing experience. The skill to negotiate, deliberately, a course at 70 - 90 mph vehicle speed with the wheel speed in the vicinity of 120 mph is unreal.

The movement of the steering wheel is so fast and the application of brake and throttle so intense that you will walk away amazed . . . and shaking your head that you just witnessed a brand new set of tires go up in smoke in about 5 - 10 minutes. :grin:

Oh. Maybe you have to be there. :eek:

Pilgrim

There's definitely a generational aspect. Having recently become a Honda Fit owner, I joined the Fitfreak forum. The demographic there is, shall we say, somewhat "different" from BMWST. From a thread titled "Any geezers on here?":

I was wondering if any of you guys were of the older persuasion. Let's say 40+? I will be turning 40 soon...
Must be some sort of generation gap going on, 'cause I don't get it. :S

Pilgrim

Yeah.... me either. Wasted rotational force not translated into linear motion. :dopeslap:

Though I used to do donuts in the high school parking lot in my 74 340 Duster. I guess its not a lot different.

Shawn

You old dorks don't get it.

Maybe you shoulda autocrossed that Duster, Shawn. :grin:

I did with my '73 Challenger. Plenty of trophies but, if only I'd had Ken Block's skills. :Cool:

Maybe you shoulda autocrossed that Duster, Shawn.

I did with my '73 Challenger. Plenty of trophies but, if only I'd had Ken Block's skills.

...and a car that could actually handle :rofl:

I think its pretty cool to have that kind of control - and the tire budget, too :dopeslap:

I got to do it at the end of a week of racing for Dunlop back in 2004 with Tanner Foust as a kinda of send off, thank you. I am not kidding, there were at least 10 sets of tires smoldering off in the corner within a couple hours.

The car technology would blow you away. HP is so necessary to maintain wheel spin, etc. The intercooler had its own water spray, cockpit controlled, cooling system. Aerodynamics are also surprisingly enough quite important. You need some down force for control but not so much to overcome the available traction for wheel spin or to counter the swing angle needed for cornering/turning.

I'll never forget getting to do that!!

Archived