IGNORED

final drive fluid change

ed may

Hi guys, I know this topic is beaten to death, but I want to do all I can to avoid/prolong final drive problems. So whats the magic change intervals recommended? Thought I saw this info somewhere but can't find it now.

600 miles

12000 miles

every 12000 miles thereafter

Proper quantity is 180cc.

LINKY

And that is the current BMW spec'd interval, not just us anymore!

600 miles

12000 miles

every 12000 miles thereafter

Proper quantity is 180cc.

LINKY

And that is the current BMW spec'd interval, not just us anymore!

Is that changed from 230ml?

Don't know if this fits this blog but. I have changed my FD 3 times. The last change left some metallic residue on a shop rag after I drained it over night. I assume it is wear. The oil came out clear but after I removed the oil pan I put a rag there to absorb the dregs.

I started changin the FD @ 24K miles when

BMW put out the alert. I have 41K miles and got back from the rally in Tenn. I am using BMW synthetic 75/140 per the dealer. Should I be concerned or start shopping for a new FD?

I wouldn't worry about it. I got some metallic bits on the speed sensor and in the drain plug (both magnetized) the first few changes, and also in the oil. Then it cleared up with further changes. Took 3-4. I think you just got a real good drain this time, which is good.

However, the correct lubricant is 75W 90 GL-5 Full Synthetic. Likely not an issue, but for future reference.

I've got lots of Valvoline fully synthetic 75 90 gl5 I use in trucks, but it's got limit slip additive in it. Can anyone find a reason this wouldn't work for the final drive?

Ed, in theory that 75w90 LS gear should work just fine.. The LS part is just an anti chatter additive..

Keep in mind that there have been some 1200R/RT/GS final drive failures.. There is even an unsubstantiated but well repeated word that BMW will warranty the hexhead final drive for 5 years.. With that in mind & the common known fact that BMW has a way of denying warranty claims for the most trivial of things,, using final drive gear oil bought from your BMW dealer might be in the best interest of retaining longer warranty coverage..

While BMW supplied gear oil is not cheap your final drive only holds 180cc (new fill info in service bulletin) so you can get many many final drive changes from a single quart or BMW gear oil.. That also gives you a niece BMW receipt to show if you have future F/D problems..

Personally I do not believe in using the oil supplied by a motor company dealer as it is usually just average & adequate & a large cash cow for both the motor company & dealer but on the BMW final drive gear oil I make an exception.. I guess I look at it like a very cheap insurance policy..

Twisty

with a little internet research, it seams to me that the limited slip additive would be a benefit as it prevents friction discs from sticking together by acting as an extreme pressure lube. Sound right?

Ed, I can’t see the LS additive making any difference as there are no plates or cone clutches in the BMW final drive.. The EP additive is in the GL-5 rating.. The LS additive is usually something that has the ability to penetrate tight clutch packs (used to be sperm whale oil but that is not used anymore)

Twisty

Archived