IGNORED

something went south

hardbargin

i sold my 2004 r1150rt this past sunday and the new owner e-mailed me wensday morning saying his rear wheel has next to falling off

after filling a thunk 4 miles earlier down the road. he came to a stop and had lost 2 lug nuts and 1 inner brake pad missing. now this bike had only 11,6000 miles on it and i was the second owner.

i changed the fd fluid out at 8,000 miles and everything looked fine. went back w/ mobil 1 75/90. i took great care of this bike and never rode it hard. it is at max bmw n.h. now i am waiting to here back from him on what they have found. i will never buy another bmw. i just have ridden back from v.a. hospital at 85 m.p.h

the week before. bmw sure cannot get their s*** right. the owner happened to be riding at a low speed when this happened. someone is really going to wind up in a bad way if this keeps up. idonotknow details at this time but i have asked the owner to please keep in touch. i will post later when i get more on this cluster f**k from bmw. i did know of this problem when i bought this bike but i never dreamed it would happen so soon. i fill for the guy he came all the way from n.h. to n.c. to purchase the bike.

shame on you bmw

umm.......so did the final drive fail, or was the wheel about to fall off do to neglect from not checking the torque on the lug bolts? I also wonder how a rear brake pad could be missing considering there is a retaining lock pin on the rear caliper that holds them in place.

When you changed the final drive oil, did you remove the wheel?

both front and rear wheel had been changed out to new avon storms a year ago. lug nuts were torqued 77ft. pounds put in dry. i am thinking the crown bearing let go and causing rotor to bind against

caliper pushing pad out of caliper by force. i am thinking lug nuts vibrated out from wobble rear wheel. thats my 2 cts. jury still out.

no need to remove wheel to change fd fluid. i will stick to my airhead a 1985 r80rt and my new yamaha fz6r 2009. its got chain drive!!!!!

So, we know the rear wheel almost came off, but don't know why yet. Sounds like quite a jump to conclusions. Until you find out if the final drive crapped out, I wouldn't get too excited.

oh,i am not to excited. i am not the owner anymore. i just hate it happened to a nice fellow that i met and sold my bike to. does not

set to well with me being the seller. sounds like you are a hard core bmw man. if it is the final drive then they should have done a recall on every durn bike they let go out the door. this has been going on since the late 90's correct me if i missed something here.

I've had a final drive go out and this does not sound at all like what I experienced. Not sure I would lay this one on BMW... FD failure normally does not come on with a sudden thunk. Sounds like something is going on that we don't know about.

whatever it is it should not have been such a major shut down at that low of mileage. when i bought the bike from bmw troy, ny. it was pristine w/5,717 miles on it. i put the rest on it . i am 60 and have always been easy on my bikes and autos. i have owned several brand bikes over the years and i have never had issues of this magnatude. i will sign off now and let you guys throw some more punches . i've had it.

whatever it is it should not have been such a major shut down at that low of mileage. when i bought the bike from bmw troy, ny. it was pristine w/5,717 miles on it. i put the rest on it . i am 60 and have always been easy on my bikes and autos. i have owned several brand bikes over the years and i have never had issues of this magnatude. i will sign off now and let you guys throw some more punches . i've had it.

Kind of a thin skinned response don't you think? I haven't seen anyone throwing punches here. You posted a rant about BMW's lousy product, poor track record, etc., etc. yet, by your own admission, you don't know what happened mechanically to the bike yet. Did you think no one would speculate about the problem or post their own experiences?

No......I'm not a hard core BMW man. I love my RT, and think it fits me and the style of riding I like to do. I'd replace it with another brand in a second if I found a suitable replacement. I'm just trying to understand the problem. For all you know, the guy you sold it to took the rear wheel off, didn't properly retorque the lug bolts, and then went for a ride. At this point I'm pretty sure he would never admit it, but its a possibility. The final drives have certainly had their issues, I'm not arguing that. Mine died at 75k miles with plenty of warning that something was wrong, I rebuilt it myself and it failed again at 85k miles (due to me screwing up the shimming), I then had it rebuilt by a trusted BMW shop and it is still going strong at 120k miles. Final drives don't usually just "FAIL"........they start to rumble, make noises, and make the bike handle funny. If you ignore all of that for a few thousand miles then you might have some serious issues. On the other hand, loose lug bolts can do SERIOUS amounts of damage in no time at all. It just made me question the facts. So far, we know two lug bolts came out, the caliper/rotor/brake pads were damaged, and the wheel almost came off.

I agree that BMW should be blasted for allowing so many final drives go out the door improperly shimmed. I was just trying to verify if this was one of those cases.

Bee's report of FD failure is third hand and hearsay. How about having the person who currently owns the bike contact us and post some photos? Two lug nuts falling off does not sound like a FD failure. It will be interesting to hear what Max BMW finds.

Nope, this bike was never abused or neglected. Was April of '08 the last time the lugs were checked? A lot can happen between 2 owners and 17 months. just sayin

LINK

Joe Frickin' Friday

Relax, bee, no one is throwing any punches. The primary symptoms you reported (clunk, missing lug bolts, missing brake pad) don't match up with any final drive failure we've heard of here, and we're just curious to thoroughly understand what happened.

If it's not too much trouble, it would be great if you could contact the owner and invite him here to post the full details of what happened.

Nope, this bike was never abused or neglected. Was April of '08 the last time the lugs were checked? A lot can happen between 2 owners and 17 months. just sayin

LINK

Gee, isn't that interesting.

I smell something that reminds me of the south end of a north bound bull.

I think I have a pretty good hunch at what happened, as I have seen something similar to this posted some time ago.

But, since I haven't seen what the owner has found out, I think it best to just keep it to meself. When it happened before, I made a mental note to myself about it so it would not happen to me.

In fact, I think a lot of us have a hunch about it. let's see if the new (or old) owner will post the results to see if we are correct.

i just got in touch w/the new owner and he will post shortly after

he gets feedback from max. so you guys hold tight and just maybe you or i will eat crow today

Who's eatimg crow? Everything so far has been trying to gather information and asking general questions.

Nothing here is meant to be nasty or "I told you so". Just trying to help. Save the drama

so is that what you call being negative? happens all the time. what has that got to do with what happened to this fellows problem?

you got alot of smart joe fridays here you should be in the detective work

i just got in touch w/the new owner and he will post shortly after

he gets feedback from max. so you guys hold tight and just maybe you or i will eat crow today

Thanks bee!

:lurk:

so is that what you call being negative? happens all the time. what has that got to do with what happened to this fellows problem?

you got alot of smart joe fridays here you should be in the detective work

And you need to step back, cool down, present facts and not conjecture, and not be so thin skinned to hear the information you have been presented with so far.

As Joe Friday would say, "The facts, Maam, nothing but the facts."

Get some and present them before going off on BMW this or BMW that. For all we know, you failed to tighten a lug nut, the new owner did, there is some unknown issue none of us are aware of.

We ALL await some facts.

you donot know me from adam. just cause i donot work at a bmw shop

you think i cannot tighten a lug nut w/out skipping one. i have done motor rebuilds and just about everything else pertaining to mechanics.when its my a** in the sling i know what i am sitting on going 90 mph.

you donot know me from adam. just cause i donot work at a bmw shop

you think i cannot tighten a lug nut w/out skipping one. i have done motor rebuilds and just about everything else pertaining to mechanics.when its my a** in the sling i know what i am sitting on going 90 mph.

Yes, I do think you can make mistakes. You are human, not God.

who works on your bikes? i see you have 2 of em. can you change the oil or do you drive 500miles to get it serviced. got any grease under the nails? no i know i am not god cause i donot beleive. i go by the big bang atom. after all thats what we are.

who works on your bikes? i see you have 2 of em. can you change the oil or do you drive 500miles to get it serviced. got any grease under the nails? no i know i am not god cause i donot beleive. i go by the big bang atom. after all thats what we are.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Search is your friend. I ain't wasting my time with you any further.

But, if you happen through the N. Cal. area anytime and are there when I host the annual Tech Daze I put on, feel free to drop by!

It got too big for my house when we had 70 + motorcycles there at one time so I got the local BMW dealership to allow me to host it in their service dept. Last Tech Daze I hosted had over 100 motorcycle in attendance.

And, I worked in the industry for years in the Svc. Dept. all the way up to a Store Mgr. so continue on with your lack of knowledge as to both what you say, and, who you are saying it to.

Good day sir.

First you say Twisties is reasonable and you understand cause he lives in Utah..... :cry:

Then you question a guy that teaches at Tech Days and dives into burning buildings to save other peoples lives about how dirty he's willing to get. :S

KenH would like to talk to you.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=515967&page=1

Who are you and what have you done with Whip?

Oh wait, it still is 2009.

I've deleted 5 posts, must not be man enough...

Personally, I think if bee will stick with it, and ignore any future slights/perceived slights, whatever, the thread might continue to it's proper end.

Mind you, I'm not blaming ANYBODY. Sometimes these things happen. I'm pretty sure they are not what BMWST is generally about, and not what we as a whole want it to be about. Let's just move on, on subject, please.

Who are you and what have you done with Whip?

Oh wait, it still is 2009.

I've deleted 5 posts, must not be man enough...

You're alwaya man enough for me big boy.

;)

In too, before the lock out. I had a Dodge truck that I serviced by the dealer. Tranny went out at 70K Do not hate the truck nor do I go on the Dodgetruck site and slam the product, nor would I slam the people who attempt to find the answers. What does vietnam have to do with it??

where were you in 1969/70 during vietnam?

were you even born?

I was 7 years old walkin the streets of Detroit.. Prolly had some kinda weapon on me, cause school just started and that's when the trouble always was the worst/best.

But thanks for asking.

Why don't ya come to Torrey in a few weeks and we can ride some great roads. I'll introduce ya to some of the fine folks on this board and I bet we can have a whole lotta fun.

BTW...I love the FJR you prolly shouda bought.

Your friend, even though you don't know it yet.

Whip

Joe Frickin' Friday

With nothing else to say about the bike, somehow this thread went from "waiting for info" to just petty insults.

That ain't why were here.

Let's all go find something else to discuss while we wait for the owner to come visit us with fresh details.

Archived