IGNORED

Disable side stand kill switch??

ElDuche211

Hello to all clap.gif , I am New to the BMW world, I recently got me a 2000 1100RT, and coming from a ZX-12R, this bike is heaven; anyway I need info on how to disable the side stand kill switch. (So I can star my bike while using the side stand). Any help will be appreciated.

Gian

Any

So I can start my bike while using the side stand

Why would you want to do that? Let me guess; so you can warm up the bike while you do other things?

Bad idea!!!!

This is an air cooled engine. Some of these bikes have melted their plastic tupperware parts, even caught them on fire while on fast idle and the phone rings, or a trip to the john takes longer than expected.

Best plan is to mount the bike, pull up the side stand, start the bike, wait about 30 seconds (long enough to back down my driveway), and ride off gently while the bike warms up.

Stan

Your guess is correct, I knew about the bike being air cooled, but had no idea of any possible melting of the plastic (It make sence), I think I'll follow your advice.

Thanks

Is the '04 RT different? I can start it whith the side stand down, but I can't put it in gear -- that's when the kill switch kicks in (thank God).
I think it's an 1100 v 1150 issue. I'd disable it as long as the engine still cuts out when you put it in gear, I lost a GW due to the sidestand being down with an experienced BMW rider riding it (back when the sidestand was sprung).
Is the '04 RT different? I can start it whith the side stand down, but I can't put it in gear -- that's when the kill switch kicks in (thank God).

Yup. The way that EB disables the side stand upgrades it to act like the new bikes allowing the bike to run on the sidestand, but not in gear.

A couple bikes ago, when very fatigued at a fuel stop, I did not get the sidestand fully extended. The bike fell into the fuel pump and another bike. Since then, I got into the habit of using the sidestand to kill the engine. The same failure to get the sidestand down or fully down never happened again, thanks to that switch.

Don't the RT-P bikes have the ability to run while the sidestand is down? But don't they also have an electric fan?

I did the sidestand mod without any problems but did not leave the bike unattended for long. I hated having to stop the engine in order to dismount at the postbox.

Regards.

So I can start my bike while using the side stand

Why would you want to do that? Let me guess; so you can warm up the bike while you do other things?

Bad idea!!!!

This is an air cooled engine. Some of these bikes have melted their plastic tupperware parts, even caught them on fire while on fast idle and the phone rings, or a trip to the john takes longer than expected.

Best plan is to mount the bike, pull up the side stand, start the bike, wait about 30 seconds (long enough to back down my driveway), and ride off gently while the bike warms up.

Stan

i'm gonna disable mine because i have to turn off my bike when i get done a ride to open my garage door. i need 30 seconds of idle time and dislike bmw's "feature"!

Gincarlo,

If you read David Smith's extremely well written and illustrated article on Disabling the Side Stand Kill Switch mentioned by "brinkjm" you'll notice David Smith giving me credit for finding the part numbers and originally describing this modification.

Actually this modification was a requirement of the CHP on all their Police R1100RTs and I also found some info from Richard Frantz who had the mod done by his dealer giving credit where credit is due!

I originally did this mod to my Y2K R1100RT back on October 3rd, 2001 and found it to be one of the best and most useful of all the mods I've done. I was tired of shutting my bike down to pick up a dropped glove, opening a gate or garage door, and what have you.

Regarding all the horror stories of bikes overheating and burning fairing I've found out that if you keep your RPM down to 1,500 RPM or less you can idle your bike for quite a long time without a problem.

I've never burned or charred my fairing paint on either of my R1100RTs. With my RT that has the Remus Exhaust System installed I've demonstrated to non-believers that I could allow the bike to warm up to 5 bars while idling without the fairing getting even hot enough to burn your fingers. With my other R1100RT I let my bike warm up to at least 2 bars while moving the bike out of my garage or hangar, closing the garage or hangar door, putting my helmet on, etc. Stop and think about how long you sit at idle at a long stop light. At least 3 minutes!! The trick is to keep your RPM down!

Now regarding walking away and forgetting your bike is running that's the fault of the rider, not the bike or the mod! I wouldn't allow that type of forgetful person to fly my airplane as I'd be afraid that he or she would forget to lower the landing gear prior to landing!

While allowing the bike to idle while on it's kick stand the second you put it in gear the engine is killed! You still have that safety factor!! I notice that the 2004 RTs now have that same setup.

I've done that mod to many R11RTs over the years and to my knowledge not one of them has ever burnt his fairing.

You know yourself. If you can remember what you do or are going to do and not go in to answer a phone call with your bike running then I highly recommend this mod!!!!!

Archived