IGNORED

Some things never change.....in the FJR world

g_nuse

Years ago I was trying to decide what to ride. One of the choices was the FJR, but after a lot of reading and a lot of filtering what I was reading, I shyed away from the FJR for a number of reasons.

Recently I went back and revisited a couple of the FJR forums and I am still so happy that I have a beautiful R1150RT. I know there are pleanty of articles in our forum dealing with problems, but they pale when compared to what some others have to deal with...IMHO.

While I'm very happy with my R11RS, I was very impressed with the FJR on a test ride two years ago. I don't follow those forums so maybe you could give a condensed version of typical FJR problems?

While I'm very happy with my R11RS, I was very impressed with the FJR on a test ride two years ago. I don't follow those forums so maybe you could give a condensed version of typical FJR problems?

+1. I test rode an FJR and liked it a lot. What headaches are we missing?

I've had 2 FJRs.

Tires...Oil...Ride

They are as close to trouble free as any bike in the history of the world.

Check out the Iron Butt Rally

They suffered/suffer the "ticker"problem which I suppose was a metallugical problem with valve guides. One of the newer ones is corrosion that affects the electrical system. I could go on, but my point was the BMW problems we read about are likely no more prevalent than the FJR problems they talk about. I've read the IBR reports, some of which prompted me to revisit the FJR forums. That and riding in the N.GA mountains with a couple. I am sure they are really good bikes to ride, it's just that sometimes it is hard to sift through the negatives on a forum it seems.

Apparently the ignition switch occasionally fails - which you can bypass with a piece of wire and keep going.

And there was a rider on the Rally who had a shock blow out, but he's still going.

On the other hand, I think there's only been 2 BMWs in the Rally with final drive failure. And one that skipped a tooth on a cam chain and blew out some valves, but that got fixed.

Rich06FJR1300

what about john ryan's insane coast to coast run with an FJR? 150,000 miles and still going? I have one too, no issues and yamaha issued a recall for the ignition switch earlier this year.

All bikes have problems (with the exception of the Suzuki DL650 V Strom.. :-)

But BMW problems manifest themselves as catastrophic and vacation killing.

This past week I was with a fellow on a brand new RT. Ignition ring thingy dies. Destroying his vacation.

When final drives, splines, etc fail, it is usually without warning and the bike is undrivable.

When I know folks that carry another final drive with them or have one boxed up at home ready to be shipped at a moments notice, this is just plain nuts. I could understand it on a URAL or some other eastern Europe bike, but not on a $20K German Engineered, top O the heap motorcycle.

And then the manufacturer won't even own up to it.

Yamaha has serviced and paid for all the valve guide issues and the wiring problems. Neither of which would ruin your vacation or Iron Butt attempt.

I love my BMW Oilhead, but i wish I could feel more confident on a long ride.............It's a shame.

All bikes have problems (with the exception of the Suzuki DL650 V Strom.. :-)

But BMW problems manifest themselves as catastrophic and vacation killing.

This past week I was with a fellow on a brand new RT. Ignition ring thingy dies. Destroying his vacation.

When final drives, splines, etc fail, it is usually without warning and the bike is undrivable.

When I know folks that carry another final drive with them or have one boxed up at home ready to be shipped at a moments notice, this is just plain nuts. I could understand it on a URAL or some other eastern Europe bike, but not on a $20K German Engineered, top O the heap motorcycle.

And then the manufacturer won't even own up to it.

Yamaha has serviced and paid for all the valve guide issues and the wiring problems. Neither of which would ruin your vacation or Iron Butt attempt.

I love my BMW Oilhead, but i wish I could feel more confident on a long ride.............It's a shame.

+1

I bought my first Yamaha (06 Roadliner S) three years ago and another one (08 FJR1300A) last year. Later, with almost 25k miles between the two of them; zero problems.

About a month ago, I traded my 94 R1100RS in on a new R1200RT and just a week ago finished a 5k "break-in" trip through 12 states visiting some old friends along the way. The RT made it through the trip with flying colors.

This is my 4th Beemer. The reason I bought the FJR (instead of an RT) last year was due to some negative experiences with BMW's Customer Service on some issues with the RS. In recent years, I've always wanted to try an RT; thus the recent trade/purchase. Hope I don't have any regrets down the road (literally and figuratively).

From my personal experiences and research, Yamaha has more confidence in their products. To wit, I got a full 5 year Yamaha (YES) warranty with unlimited mileage included with the Roadliner and was able to get the same on the FJR for less than $400. I have yet to deal with Yamaha's Customer Service, but from the experiences of others (from online forums and personal conversations), they are also less likely to deny coverage for doing your own service work and/or using non-OEM (but OEM-spec.) lubricants, filters, etc.

With the above in mind, I plan to take the RT to my local BMW dealer (130 miles away) for at least the 6k service and pay the extra $300 or so to have them do it and have it on record. I never felt any compulsion to do this with the Yamahas.

They suffered/suffer the "ticker"problem which I suppose was a metallugical problem with valve guides. One of the newer ones is corrosion that affects the electrical system. I could go on, but my point was the BMW problems we read about are likely no more prevalent than the FJR problems they talk about. I've read the IBR reports, some of which prompted me to revisit the FJR forums. That and riding in the N.GA mountains with a couple. I am sure they are really good bikes to ride, it's just that sometimes it is hard to sift through the negatives on a forum it seems.

Until recently I got a letter from Yamaha about once a year. Reminding me to get my FJR checked for the "ticking", no matter how many miles were on it or who owned it now, they would replace the motor at no charge.

I think Warchild hand a lot to do with that, but they still did it.

As far other problems go......who knows.

They sell about as many FJR alone, in America, as BMW sells in total units.(In America)

I ride a GS 1150 now and love it.

Go figure

Whip

I did not realize that a failure of any system on a bike only ruined vacations if it happened on a BMW.

Brother has an FJR. It had an oil leak, ruined a ride for him because he could not go. He got the recall about the ignition switch and when he tried to get it in to be fixed, was told parts on back order, would be at least a month. Hmmm that sounds familiar.

I guess all things mechanical break down. Go ride it while you can.

I have a 2008 FJR and a 1999 R1100RT. I've been fortunate with both -- only minor mechanical problems. Each serves a different purpose. The FJR is a fun sporty bike and the RT is the workhorse commuter that I consider cheap transportation. Both can go long distances but the FJR is better around town because of the lower center-of-gravity (feels lighter), better braking, and no surge. The FJR is funner in the twisties, but I love the looks of the RT and use it as a cruiser. The technologies are a decade apart so you are not really comparing apples to apples. Bothe are great bikes.

JohnnyJ

I dunno. Not only did the bike cost me about 50% less than a RT but the maintenance has been at least 50% less. Sure, there have been 2 recalls but neither has cost me more than a day of down time.

I did not realize that a failure of any system on a bike only ruined vacations if it happened on a BMW.

Understood.....My point was, I've had many issues with motorcycles while on vacation. But none of them has ever stranded me with zero options but a "back of truck" trip to a dealer. Even the ignition switch on the FJR can be jury ridged to get through a vacation. Ticking valves can still be driven. It the catastrophic failures of the BMW drive system (without much warning) and the "worked five minutes ago and now it's dead" ignition ring that I've seen destroy most vacations.

But when all is well with the world of BMW, they really are great machines! But we all know this, that's why we are on this forum......

My FJR was add-gas-and-ride reliable. Tickers were only a small percentage of the population even at the start and warranty-fixed by Yamaha even AFTER warranties expired.

I was, and am, much more nervous about my '08 RT. BMW's late-model reliability is weak, much weaker than Yamaha's. My R1200C and my buddy's last gen K12RS were both in the shop FAR too often for warranty work. BMW had better prove its worth to me with my current RT or it'll be a long time until I buy another BMW. Knock on wood, so far so good (though I do have an intermittent fuel level indicator failure).

My FJR was add-gas-and-ride reliable. Tickers were only a small percentage of the population even at the start and warranty-fixed by Yamaha even AFTER warranties expired.
+1

I've had 5 Yamahas, (96K mi, on an FJ1200, 84K on an XS750, and 50K on an FZ1) and they were all gas & ride.

What I see is that when a Japanese bike has a problem, they address it quickly. They seem to take pride in their products, and it's "dishonorable" for them to have faulty product.

yamaha issued a recall

BMW should be as smart. :thumbsup:

They wouldn't do that because that would be admitting there is a problem. :grin:

Mike

Now be fair... BMW will admit there's a problem... We just don't like hearing that it's the bikes owner "riding it wrong" or "servicing it incorrectly". ;)

what about john ryan's insane coast to coast run with an FJR? 150,000 miles and still going? I have one too, no issues and yamaha issued a recall for the ignition switch earlier this year.

First of all, this event was incredible because of John Ryan, not because of the FJR. Second, John got an extended warranty contract and it's been used on several occasions. That being said, he started his UCC with 150k on the bike.

Archived