IGNORED

New Russell on my GSA

johnlt

I received my new Russell seat for my GS Adventure today. Really nice and I can flat-foot but only one leg at a time!! That sucker is tall but my knees love it. Notice I had the passenger seat made very thin because I don't ride two up but do like to slide back there once in a while on long slab runs for a change of possition. I'm happy with how it came out. Now I need to send my Ohlins in for their 30K overhaul and I'll have them shimmed to lower them about an inch. Then at least I'll be able to tip-toe.

638668209_eEqja-L.jpg

Niiiiiice.......why don't you sell it to me for a huge discount???????? ;)

I am getting ready to purchase a slightly used RDL from Steve---now that he has defected to the Aprilia team. I loved the Corbin on my RT, but the one I purchased for my GT hurts after 500 miles, so I hope the Russell will do the trick!

I am getting ready to purchase a slightly used RDL from Steve---now that he has defected to the Aprilia team. I loved the Corbin on my RT, but the one I purchased for my GT hurts after 500 miles, so I hope the Russell will do the trick!

What.....Your Steve??????

No more GT????

What.....Your Steve??????

No more GT????

All Gone!

116207549.jpg

Lone_RT_rider
I've had mine since '02. Worth every penny.

I have had an RDL on the R11RT since 2004 and love it. Recently I purchased one for the R12RT hoping for the same results. After a couple of lite slab days headed to the UN (600 and 500 miles consecutively) I discovered that it isn't even close to as good as the seat on my R11RT. At the UN, I heard from a little bird that they have a "new guy" at RDL and some of the recent seats have been not quite as advertised. So, off my seat for the R12RT went, back to RDL for a rework. They received it this week and hopefully I should have it back before BRR. I let you know if they got it right the second time.

Just for the record, the old RDL is probably the best seat I have ever ridden on between the Sargent, the corbin, the custom and the stock seats I have had on BMW's. I hope this new guy comes up to speed soon. I would hate to see the reputation they worked so hard to achieve go right out the window.

Shawn

I hope they are.

The one on my 1100RT wasn't built for me so it wasn't as comfortable as my (m)ass produced Corbin is, but, if I ever bite that bullet, I hope they are that good.

Lone_RT_rider
Steve's RDL went on my bike today. I don't know what they use to be like, but this one is a bun massager....me likey.

Yep, that's what they use to be like. When you do an 800 mile day, get off the bike and after a quick stretch you don't feel a thing, well....that's and RDL. :thumbsup:

Shawn

Steve's RDL went on my bike today. I don't know what they use to be like, but this one is a bun massager....me likey.

Yep, that's what they use to be like. When you do an 800 mile day, get off the bike and after a quick stretch you don't feel a thing, well....that's and RDL. :thumbsup:

Shawn

The RDL I had on my RT was like that, I bought it early in 08. The RDL I have on my Electra Glide is like that, I bought it in June 09 or so. The RDL they are building on 9/22 for my V-Strom will likely be that too. if it isn't, I'll send it in for a rework, if that doesn't work, I'll return it. It's not an exact science, so I can see where once in a while you have to get one reworked. They did have some quality issues with foam density from an outside vendor that was giving them problems in late 07, early 08. They bought a machine to make their own foam, and after a bit of tweaking they have it set up to deliver very consistently. My RT seat was the old foam, my HD was the new in house made foam pan. I'm not sure I can tell the difference.

I did notice a little pressure on my lower thigh at the fron edge but when I read the info sheet that came with it, it mentioned I would feel that for the first 500+ miles then it would get better. I'm looking forward to getting some miles on it. Sure wish it was a little shorter because I can't really touch with my Ohlins. Changing them out today for the OEMs which should bring it down an inch then I'll send the Ohlins in for a rebuild and shims to lower them a bit.

I also had mine reworked once. About two months after I received it. Since they are made about two hours north of my home I made an appointment and rode up there. Custom job.

My RDL is being made as I type this. After 18K in 9 months of owning my RT, my butt can't wait for the new seat. Your pic and discussion make me want it even more. Our summer heat is finally starting to break here in Texas, so I'm jonesing big time to get back on the road!

Archived