IGNORED

Almost taken out by a motorcycle

n0ct

Almost got taken out by a motorcycle the other day. Was headed up a six lane urban road and passed an older airhead at an intersection waiting to turn right. My destination was about 10 blocks up the road. I see the rider on the airhead, no helmet, bright green shirt, etc, flying along behind me. I suppose he was trying to catch up with me. My destination was a driveway about 40 yards beyond a large intersection. As I passed the intersection, I activated my right signal and grabbed the brakes to set up my entry to the parking lot. I looked in my right hand mirror, and I see this bright green T-shirt flying up behind me along the right portion of the lane. I can tell he's not even beginning to slow down, so I continue straight as he zooms by on the right screaming "Sorry". I was able to make the right into the parking lot after he passed me. I'm really glad for my situational awareness and attention to my mirrors.

Sean

Not defending the airhead rider but if you are setting up for a right turn, you should be riding in the right portion of the lane.

The airhead didn't know you were turning right because the airhead was in the part of the lane you should have been in.

Thankfully the airhead was wearing hi-viz.

I could see a simular situation with a bike or a car in the situation. Very glad you mentioned YOUR situation awareness saved you from grief. A topic I have passed on to my newest riding buddy, my son of late.

Here is an ugly thing that almost took me out a couple weeks ago: I was riding down L Street in Sacramento, which is a four lane one way street. At the end the inner two lanes go to the freeway - BOTH inner lanes go to the right (North I-5) and the LEFT inner lane goes left to a one lane road which leads to Southbound I-5.

I was in the LEFT inner lane setting up to take the RIGHT turn on to Northbound I-5, and the car next to me in the RIGHT inner lane cuts LEFT right in to my path! I didn't have time to hit my brakes and I hadn't started my turn yet so I leaned as hard as I could to the left to avoid hitting him (fortunately no other cars were in the left outer lane). The a$$hat acted like he was surprised when I layed on the horn and gave him the middle salute. Of course, I ended up having to circle around the block once to get back to my exit but at least I was in one piece.

Here is an ugly thing that almost took me out a couple weeks ago: I was riding down L Street in Sacramento, which is a four lane one way street. At the end the inner two lanes go to the freeway - BOTH inner lanes go to the right (North I-5) and the LEFT inner lane goes left to a one lane road which leads to Southbound I-5.

I was in the LEFT inner lane setting up to take the RIGHT turn on to Northbound I-5, and the car next to me in the RIGHT inner lane cuts LEFT right in to my path! I didn't have time to hit my brakes and I hadn't started my turn yet so I leaned as hard as I could to the left to avoid hitting him (fortunately no other cars were in the left outer lane). The a$$hat acted like he was surprised when I layed on the horn and gave him the middle salute. Of course, I ended up having to circle around the block once to get back to my exit but at least I was in one piece.

Glad you made it through OK, but there's a lesson here: ANY time there's any kind of "exit-only" lane, we should assume that one or more of the cars next to us will make a last-second lane change. It's up to us to make sure we're not alongside when it happens.

In response to Bob.

I respectfully disagree on your opinion on the correct setup, and the motorcycle still has the right to the full lane. So he/she can set up for the turn anyway he/she may want to.

In response to Bob.

I respectfully disagree on your opinion on the correct setup, and the motorcycle still has the right to the full lane. So he/she can set up for the turn anyway he/she may want to.

Legal schmeagal. at least you can go to the grave KNOWING you had the right of way.

It's a tough world and sometimes it;s best to give way and ride again. :grin::lurk:

I also strongly disagree. Around here you *have* to stay to the left of the lane to set up for a right turn, because the a$$hats around here will try to go around you *in your lane* to keep going straight. If ou don't defend your lane with lane positioning, the cages get waaay too close. It isn't about "well, I'm legally right," it's about minimizing the potential for collisions.

And what would have happened if he was in his cage instead of the airhead?

I suspect not to many cages would try to pass a motorcycle on the right in the same lane.

Thsi situation is a good example of situational awareness of ones surroundings. The OP did a good job of knowing where vehciles were around him. The dude on the airhead did a terrible job and needs to rethink his braking technique.

One question... in addiotna to your turn signal, did the OP apply his brakes? WIt hthe engine braking of theboxer, it's easy ot forget ot apply the brakes since they are often not needed when slowing in more "normal" driving situations. I sometiems wish that there was a limit switch on the throttle that activated the brake light when it was closed. Because on many motorcycles, when you clsoe the throttle...you ARE braking.

Nice n Easy Rider
One question... in addiotna to your turn signal, did the OP apply his brakes? WIt hthe engine braking of theboxer, it's easy ot forget ot apply the brakes since they are often not needed when slowing in more "normal" driving situations. I sometiems wish that there was a limit switch on the throttle that activated the brake light when it was closed. Because on many motorcycles, when you clsoe the throttle...you ARE braking.

I think there is a column in this month's BMWMOA ON that addresses just that issue. The author (sorry, can't recall his name) makes the point that even if we tend to use compression braking we should at least tap our brakes to let those behind us know that we are slowing. I have to admit that I have not been doing that but I can certainly see the wisdom in it and will try to be more aware of it in the future.

In response to Bob.

Actually it is not my opinion. It is law written into the California Vehicle Code.

22100. Except as provided in Section 22100.5 or 22101, the driver

of any vehicle intending to turn upon a highway shall do so as

follows:

(a) Right Turns. Both the approach for a right-hand turn and a

right-hand turn shall be made as close as practicable to the

right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except:

This is usually a state thing. Here in PA the law reads:

"3523. Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic.

(a) Right to use of lane - All motorcycles are entitled to full use of a lane and no motor vehicle shall be driven in such a manner as to deprive any motorcycle the full use of a lane. "

Interesting, that means two motorcycles ridden side by side in the same lane is illegal in PA. Motors routinely ride this way, how do they handle this issue?

Regardless, there is no way I would make a right turn from the left portion of a lane. Too much chance of someone not reading your intentions as reported by the OP.

Because my life depends on it, I will not depend on my legal right to use a full lane width to make a right turn.

And Bob, does gravel or loss dirt etc. near the right side of the lane allow you to use the left section of the lane? Per the law.

The real point is the Airhead was totally in the wrong, not paying attention, not see another motorcycle, not aware of turn signal, not anticipating, etc. and if he was in a cage might have just run over the OP. While the OP demonstrated awareness good riding skills etc. to avoid the a real problem.

And it demonstrates why you have to ride like nobody sees you, not only other cage driver but in this case another motorcycle rider, or even pedestrians.

Interesting, that means two motorcycles ridden side by side in the same lane is illegal in PA. Motors routinely ride this way, how do they handle this issue?

Actually I think this is fairly common. I've heard of more than one account from different states where side by side riding is illegal and tickets have been written (Virginia I think). That said, I have seen LEO riding that way occasionally around here.

So you're saying I should make a citizen's arrest right? :rofl:

Agree airhead was in the wrong but the OP almost became dead right by insisting the entire lane width belongs to him. Move to the right side of the lane when slowing to make a right turn and maybe the airhead would have had a clue.

+1 with Bob. Airhead was absolutely wrong, but better not to be dead right. On right turns I like to crowd the right section of the road/shoulder.

I do it with my car and bike just to give heavy traffic behind somewhere to go should they actually put their palm piloting, text fingering, ear jabbering cell phones down for a second. I'll gladly give up part of the inside lane rather than get stoked from behind, we just cannot believe the driver behind us is actually paying attention.

Actually it is not my opinion. It is law written into the California Vehicle Code.

22100. Except as provided in Section 22100.5 or 22101, the driver

of any vehicle intending to turn upon a highway shall do so as

follows:

(a) Right Turns. Both the approach for a right-hand turn and a

right-hand turn shall be made as close as practicable to the

right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except:

So the OP's position is covered by the inclusion of the words "as close as practicable".

This would cover positioning yourself so as to be able to see far enough into the turn to be aware of obstacles and be far enough away from any street furniture that you might bash your head on, as you lean into your turn.

Taking the apparent POV that one must rigidly obey this rule, then one should really make the turn whilst riding in the gutter. To make such a turn, one would either exit the turn dangerously wide, make the turn at about 2mph, or actually have to dismount and push the bike through each turn; all of which probably contravene some other badly-worded regulation.

In any case, it strikes me that there must be an awful lot of very dim drivers about, if such a regulation was deemed necessary. Logic dictates that any motorcyclist should consider my statement in paragraph 2, along with being in a dominant position, at all times. If not, then one should develop a taste for hospital food.

I think the key word would be "practicable". Also, in many situations when making left and right turns (90 degree into driveways) you probably won't be cutting the apex of the turn like you would while riding through a right or left "curve". In the end, to each their own.

Early this morning we had a double fatal MC crash. Keeping with our stat's, on average someone is killed every 6.5 weeks for the past 6.75 years. Some of our roads can be very dangerous (this is strictly for a 70 square mile, suburban municipality)

Regardless, there is no way I would make a right turn from the left portion of a lane. Too much chance of someone not reading your intentions as reported by the OP.

Because my life depends on it, I will not depend on my legal right to use a full lane width to make a right turn.

Upflying, I've studied several States' vehicle codes, and most that prohibit lane sharing and/or filtering do make an exception for law enforcement.

The key point of the OP: Even if you are traveling near another motorcycle, don't assume they are as good a rider as you are. Assume the worse, like you do with a cage.

I'll attest to this from first hand experience too. Glad I'm alive & we missed.

Regarding SAC rider:

If you were in the driver's 7 o'clock blind spot and they didn't see you, who's fault is it really? Hell, the kids could play hide-and-seek all day around the truck all day until one got lucky hiding and got run over.

BOT, in court, he/she will just say "I didn't see him." You know how that turns out.

Try and get eye contact 2X if you wish to ride in people's blind spots and then wonder why they encroached into your lane later. That plus try and figure out what they are doing (like dialing/texting/Bluetoothin'/or GPSin' on a cell phone). Might save your hide someplace down the road.

If they are on a cell phone, you may as well give up and dive for an exit. Personally, I'd like to jail all cell phone drivers and riders!

Jazzy...not pointing fingers, just sayin'

I looked in my right hand mirror, and I see this bright green T-shirt flying up behind me along the right portion of the lane.

I was in the right half of the lane. He passed between me and the curb. He's lucky he didn't hit the curb on the other side of the driveway.

Original post and your latest post is a bit contradictory. Some of us got the impression you were in the left portion of the lane when you attempted to turn right.

Not excusing the airhead rider, and not trying to pile on, but it's also not a good idea to grab the brakes with traffic behind you, even with a timely signal. You may have that legal right and the traffic behind may be legally obligated to stop in time, but often they won't.

Whenever I have to brake, even lightly, with traffic behind, I cringe.

From the OP, I'm reminded that car drivers are not alone in their capacity to do stupid stuff. Sad to say, I too, have done dumb things riding. I'm not bragging, just saying that we riders need to be on the look-out for bikes as well as cars/trucks doing stupid stuff.

Wooster who as an intelligent man (not an oxymoron) has the capacity to screw up (in plain language)

btw I don't wear day-glo t-shirts

Whenever I have to brake, even lightly, with traffic behind, I cringe.

I have been known to roll through a stop sign or light if wide open view and zero cross traffic just so I don't have to brake and drop a foot or both...

Regards -

-Bob

Archived