IGNORED

Motorcycle Death

Lets_Play_Two

Lets_Play_Two

A 45-year-old motorcyclist is dead after being hit by a pickup truck on Indiantown Road before dawn, Florida Highway Patrol spokesman Lt. Tim Frith reports.

Though he was wearing a helmet and glasses, Richard E. Craig of Jupiter died at the scene.

The wreck, which is west of the interstate at 9250 Indiantown Road near Taylor Road, closed one eastbound lane of Indiantown.

Craig was on his Kawasaki motorcycle headed east on Indiantown Road about 6:20 a.m. when Mark E. Nielson, 53, also of Jupiter, pulled his truck out of the Sierra Square Shopping center.

"For years, this guy (Nielson) has had a routine, he works at Pratt Whitney and stops there for a cup of coffee," Frith said

But this time when Nielsen pulled out of the parking lot, "he looked through the motorcycle and pulled right out in front of him," Frith said.

The motorcycle hit the truck's door.

"he looked through the motorcycle and pulled right out in front of him," Frith said.

Or to put it another way: He looked past the motorcycle.. That is exactly what happens..I've seen it over and over again..That's why I wear high vis gear, a white helmet, leave my headlight on bright and run amber Motolights...All who would like to are welcome to tell me that going high vis is just a false sense of security. Just don't think you'll ever change my mind..

It's for this reason that I had my new Motoport Kevlar Mesh jack made int Hi Vis Green.

My riding buddy tells me I look like a Giant Lima Bean riding down the road....A Lima Bean that he can sport 2 miles away!

Dan

I wear Olympia hi vis green. I also never assume anyone sees me.

I know my odds are not 100%, after all people run into bright green firetrucks.

I will admit the frequency of not being seen has gone down, which is good. However, occasionally someone does not look at all, so I am still vigilant.

The thing I do not like is now construction workers, garbage collectors, tree trimmers and even as fashion, more and more people are wearing the fluorescent green. This will ruin it for me, if it becomes common pretty soon people will not see it.

I guess hi vis orange is my next alternative.

Rod

Sad news, I assume at 0620 hrs, it is dawn..not sure "high vis" would be a big help in the darkness.

Defensive driving involves the prediction of threats and having a plan of evasion should the threat occur. Was this collision avoidable if Craig expected or predicted Nielson to pull out of the shopping center and violate his right of way?

The daily routine of Nielson is also a culprit here. He drove the same route every day and became complacent.

"he looked through the motorcycle and pulled right out in front of him," Frith said.

Or to put it another way: He looked past the motorcycle.. That is exactly what happens..I've seen it over and over again..That's why I wear high vis gear, a white helmet, leave my headlight on bright and run amber Motolights...All who would like to are welcome to tell me that going high vis is just a false sense of security. Just don't think you'll ever change my mind..

I'm with you, I wear high viz, ride with my high beams on, (In the day time) yet they still pull out in front of me and run me off the road.

How can they not see me? I never have any trouble seeing other motos even when they wear black and have no lights on at all.

I think these people just don't see us as a "physical threat" and don't care.

Archived