IGNORED

Running with bulbs removed

DOK

Hi,

I am going on my first track day next Wednesday - it is more of a training day (find out a bit more about the bike's and my limits) than a go like f*** day but I am really looking forward to it. Thing is, the bike has to be in road legal setup BUT with headlights off. Now, my bike (R1150RT) has permanent lights on. I don't really want to tape up the lens so I plan to remove the dipped h/l fuse when I get there. That leaves the parking light; I am not so sure about removing that fuse as it also covers the ABS circuit so I wondered about just removing the bulb. QUESTION: are there any problems with running the bike with the parking light bulb removed? I can't see why there would be as it is just like the bulb had blown.

Grateful for any thoughts.

Front parking light is a push-fit in a rubber grommet -- it might be a bit stuck the first time you try to remove it, so give it a go before you get there. A spot of silicone spray (not too much or the excess will condense on the inside of the headlight lens) will keep it more easily moveable. Furniture polish, at a push. No problem running with it removed.

What about the back? If you remove the bulb, the brake light will be on at low brightness and you'll have a distracting warning light on the dash.

Oh, have fun!

There is no fuse for the head light, it is unfused.

On track day with my 1150rt i had no problem taping up the head light. i took a few extra minutes and trimmed the tape to the outline of the head light, some guys just taped aross the front. With it trimmed it looked good in the pictures, especially when i was overtaking K12200S on the outside (outside passing allowed on some corners in the group i was in). To be fair, the guy only rode the 1200s for a few days prior to the track day. It's a fast bike, i took it out the weekend before cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

OH NO i feel the pull to the dark side.

I took my 1150RT to a track day - once was enough but it was a good experience. Just tape over the headlight and taillight - that's simple and that's all there is to it.

One thing to look out for is the flasher circuit. I removed my side mirrors completely and taped over the "holes", but when I disconnected the turn signals I did not tape off the contact ends and during the session they grounded out to one another and they blew a circuit out of my flasher unit. So - remove the mirrors, use some electrical tape to tape off the contacts for the lights in the mirrors, tuck the wires in to the fairing, and cover the fairing holes where the mirrors attach with the same tape you use to cover your headlight and taillight.

Good luck - have fun - don't forget to let a lot of air out of your tires....

Thanks for the replies. The people organising this track day only require that the headlight is not used. If I can avoid taping it over, it will be less hassle.

By the way, Powerman, the dipped headlight on my '04 1150RT IS most definitely fused.

Archived