IGNORED

A new RT - the Can-Am Spyder RT

DavidEBSmith

Can-Am is coming out with a "touring version" of the 3-wheeled Spyder with optional matching trailer:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/731/4464/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Can-Am-Spyder-RT-First-Look.aspx

What I really don't get is, they added an integral top case and side cases and the dry weight increased from 699 to 929 pounds???? What are they made of??? And to compensate they've retuned the motor for a whopping 3 lb-ft more torque????

Lone_RT_rider

EB, If they really do weigh and extra 230 lbs, it will make it really tough to spin the rear wheels in the rain. Maybe its a safety feature? :dopeslap:

Shawn

It's too bad they can't license the boxer engine from BMW -- this seems like a perfect application for that engine layout, which would probably lower the CG significantly, compared with a V-twin.

It's too bad they can't license the boxer engine from BMW -- this seems like a perfect application for that engine layout, which would probably lower the CG significantly, compared with a V-twin.

Especially if modified with a dry sump oil system. It could be ultra-low then. I have a feeling Rotax sells that motor for a lot less than BMW would want.

I still can't get over the stupid brake pedal instead of hand lever. That and the mediocre power to weight ratio. It probably seems really fast comming from a car, recreational ATV, scooter or a typical crusier. Just doesn't seem worth the risk if I can't roll through the turns and enjoy the simplicity of 2 wheels. I'd probably rather have a slitghly used Mazda Miata than a Cam Am spyder.

Joe Frickin' Friday
What I really don't get is, they added an integral top case and side cases and the dry weight increased from 699 to 929 pounds????

Perhaps the cases are IED-resistant.

I rode one today...I was impressed with it. Much like my RT you can't appreciate the power in the low rpm range but wind it out a bit and it performs very well in my opinion..It redlines at 9500.. I think this machine will put the trike guys out of business..

Haven't ridden one yet but, I like the direction they're taking it. Touring snowmobile for the street? That second pic is very cool IMO.

Can_RT__Blu_wTrailer_3_4_F.jpg

2010_Can_Am_RT_S_RT.jpg

Pat

Other than somewhat exposing one self to the elements, and limiting your comfort in what way does this resemble motorcycling?

I didn't see a price, but I'm sure it's inm the 25-30K range if not higher. You could get a convertible for that money.

I guess if I need an explanation, no explanation will suffice.

What I really don't get is, they added an integral top case and side cases and the dry weight increased from 699 to 929 pounds????

Perhaps the cases are IED-resistant.

The GVWR is 1188 lb and the allowable load is 525 lb. That means the vehicle tare weight should be 663 lb. Maybe the 929 lb includes the trailer?

I'm sure this rig is fun to ride, but its appearance defies any easy description.

To me it looks a little more like an open-cab tractor pulling a wagon than it does a motorcycle.

Can_RT__Blu_wTrailer_3_4_F.jpg

drawbar-pull-2.jpg

2007_GardenTractorPull_sm.jpg

2798375494_c2c20fdc84.jpg

Other than somewhat exposing one self to the elements, and limiting your comfort in what way does this resemble motorcycling?

I used to think the same about trikes, but now that my father is planning on getting one I've eased up a bit. He's got bad knees, but wants to keep riding. I respect that. I imagine the experience is a lot closer to riding a motorcycle than driving a car. It's relatively small and powerful, and the open air experience is exhilarating. Certainly a conversation starter at gas stations.

I used to think the same about trikes, but now that my father is planning on getting one I've eased up a bit. He's got bad knees, but wants to keep riding. I respect that. I imagine the experience is a lot closer to riding a motorcycle than driving a car. It's relatively small and powerful, and the open air experience is exhilarating. Certainly a conversation starter at gas stations.

Certainly the experience would be closer to riding than not, and if I had to make allowances to age, I probably would look at it differently.

I hope your father enjoys himself for many happy and safe miles when he gets it; and also hope to be confronted with similar choices to make in the future.

Best.

I've seen these on the road but it seems like this type of 3-wheeler has the drawbacks of a 4-wheeler and few of the 2-wheeler benefit. No leaning? Too wide to split lanes? A permanent convertible? Only stable with traction control? As expensive as a used Miata with a race suspension?

I wondered what the target demographic was when they came to market. Folks who want to ride but can't? I sort of get the appeal of a proper hack. That is a wonderfully weird kludgy vehicle. This one? Not so much, to my eye.

Since the older models started for 17k I would not mind looking at one ... I was thinking they were going to say 30k

Still looks like a Gold Wing landed on someone's snowmobile

My mom's boyfriend/fiancé had double knee surgery this year. He is just now getting around to walking for extended periods of time. He wants to ride again, but knows that motorcycles are out, so he is looking at the three wheeled vehicle market.

Like many here, I never saw much of point, but if there are reasons you can't or won't ride a motorcycle any longer, this looks like a nice alternative.

Of course the irony is my mom told me about them getting some type of three-wheeled bike. This is the same person that use to give me (and my wife) a load of grief for riding a motorcycle when my dad was alive. Go figure.

Wayne

There are people who will never ride 2 wheels, or will never again ride two wheels.. and there are people who need to seriously consider giving up on 2 wheels.. for whatever reason..

This bike gives them something cool. Its not an afterthought bolt on trike kit, or some lame built-in-your-garage conversion. This thing is a snowmobile for the street.. A real, bad-ass street rod with 3 wheels that feels a lot like a snowmobile, and a bit like a motorycle..

I know that every single person Ive met riding one loves it, and had some story about why motorcycles just werent working out for them..

Im really glad that this thing is an option.. too kool for skewl IMHO...

I'd seriously consider one if Can Am could get the Spyder to lean into corners (like the Piaggio three-wheeler). As is, the Spyder doesn't feel much different going through curves than a car with the top down. I don't about the rest of you but for me, leaning into curves is half (or more) the fun of riding.

When I get to the point where I can not safely manage something as big as an RT, the Piaggio 3-wheeler (if it's still made then) would be near the top of my list of considerations. Unfortunately, a Monotracer (€ 52.500 at the factory) will likely forever be out of my budget range.

+1. I definitely see these reverse trikes as the sporty equivalent of the regular trike.

Found a short vid on the trailer setup. Looks nice! I'd like to own one but my G/D garage space is limited. ;)

Oh ya, the twenty-five large without the trailer could be a bit of a problem also. :P

Can AmCan-Am Spyder RT 622

"genetically harmonized" Oh Webster, where you at sucka! :grin:

Pat

I didn't see a price, but I'm sure it's inm the 25-30K range if not higher. You could get a convertible for that money.

I guess if I need an explanation, no explanation will suffice.

I must agree. Why not just get a nice convertible sports car and really have some fun.

I sat on one. Due to the smallish diameter wheels, the inseam is set up for a 4'9" rider. I stand next to the spydee and the seat top is knee high.

I really dig two wheels...............

There is always the new Peraves Monotracer. The lines of the Monotracer are much sharper than the styling of the old Ecomobile. I don't even want to think about the price.

I remember seeing something on TV about these maybe 20 years ago. Never knew they actually made it into production.

Archived