IGNORED

Clutch Bleed Question (speedbleeder)

tcausey

1. When I remove the grub screw to insert a speedbleeder, I am assuming that the speedbleeder should only go in about half way and not fully seat based on how deep the grub screw goes. Does that make sense? I "modified" it slightly so i would be less likely to cross thread.

2. When it says to open the speedbleeder up a 1/4 or 1/2 turn, I assume that means "unscrew it" a quarter or half turn. Am I right in understanding that?

I placed my SpeedBleeder in as far as it would go without over-tightening and checked it by pulling on the clutch lever. No fluid escaped.

I cracked it back a half a turn and did the same and fluid escaped. Placed the little bag over the nipple and began to bleed the clutch (after removing the cover etc on the left handlebar).

When done, I cracked it closed again and checked for leaks. I left the SpeedBleeder in there.

Because of the spring loaded pressure, you need to press hard to begin the take up of the thread. It should then screw in easily. If not, it's probably cross threaded.

Take care.

Linz :)

perfect. I really didn't have any issues getting the grub screw out and the speedbleeder in and it worked beautifully. I tightened it back up snug and left mine on there too as I'm the "running with scissors" type apparently. It was easy enough.

I just put speedbleeders on my bike last weekend. Didn't feel confident with only 3 or so threads going into where the grub screw went. If you remove the small piece that the grub screw goes into, you are able to turn many more threads of your speedbleeder into the threaded line.

I just put speedbleeders on my bike last weekend. Didn't feel confident with only 3 or so threads going into where the grub screw went. If you remove the small piece that the grub screw goes into, you are able to turn many more threads of your speedbleeder into the threaded line.
This is the proper way to install a Speedbleeder on the clutch circuit. DO NOT simply replace the grub screw with it as there are far too few threads holding it in. Some have simply filed off the tip of the SB to allow more turns before it snugs up but this may impair how well it seals.
This is the proper way to install a Speedbleeder on the clutch circuit. DO NOT simply replace the grub screw with it as there are far too few threads holding it in. Some have simply filed off the tip of the SB to allow more turns before it snugs up but this may impair how well it seals.

I'll second that. Do what Dr. Paul says!

For the moment, since I was done bleeding the clutch, I just reinstalled the grub screw. But I have a question . . . if I remove the piece that the grub screw goes into, I'm assuming fluid will begin to come out since I don't suspect there is a valve there to stop it. Am I right?

It's not a problem so that's what I'll do next time I bleed it.

thanks for the help.

tcausey, yes, the check valve is in that black plastic piece with the grub screw.. If you remove the plastic cylinder a slight amount of fluid will come out.. It will only take air in the very end of the hose so a pump or two of re-bleeding will probably be necessary..

Twisty

tcausey, yes, the check valve is in that black plastic piece with the grub screw.. If you remove the plastic cylinder a slight amount of fluid will come out.. It will only take air in the very end of the hose so a pump or two of re-bleeding will probably be necessary..

Twisty

Just as Twisty has said. A squeeze or two of the clutch lever will rid the bleed line of any air that might have been introduced during the SB installation. Afterwards, check the clutch master cylinder reservoir and top off if needed.
Afterwards, check the clutch master cylinder reservoir and top off if needed.

Remembering that the level rises with clutch wear, so the correct level is mid-window - or the BOTTOM moulded step in the reservoir.

Desenting opinion here

do not use speedbleeders, do a search on the number of forums posts here and many other online websites to see the trouble people have caused themselves using speedbleedrs and breaking them off in their calipers etc. get a proper bleeder ....

There's a much better solution to the problem of how to install a Speedbleeder in your clutch line.

Don't just remove the grub screw - you should also remove that black plastic cylinder (fill adapter) that the grub screw came in. Throw them both away. Then install your SpeedBleeder (or some other kind of bleed nut) in the female thread that was previously occupied by the fill adapter. It will fit just fine. It worked great for me.

see this thread, with photos.

Afterwards, check the clutch master cylinder reservoir and top off if needed.

Remembering that the level rises with clutch wear, so the correct level is mid-window - or the BOTTOM moulded step in the reservoir.

A good point. Thanks!

Archived