IGNORED

96 R1100R STALLS

R1100R

I have a 1996 R1100R that I took to the dealer for a 6000 mile service, cannister removal and annual. Since then, more then a dozen times in less than a thousand miles, the bike has stalled. Typically while at low rpm with the clutch in while comming to a stop. This happens within five minutes of start up. Every time it has happened it has been between 80 and 105 degrees. The dealer can not duplicate the problem. Has anyone had this problem?

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

re; more then a dozen times ... bike has stalled... at low rpm with the clutch in while coming to a stop

i would look/listen for a vacuum leak

My thoughts as well

Check the vacuum ports on the throttle bodies. If they removed the canister, then these might have been left open. They need to be either connected together via a vacuum hose, or plugged with airtight rubber caps

My thoughts as well

Check the vacuum ports on the throttle bodies. If they removed the canister, then these might have been left open. They need to be either connected together via a vacuum hose, or plugged with airtight rubber caps

...And you would notice terrible fuel mileage as I did when the rubber caps rotted off after a few months, as the comp. will make up for running lean. I use 'screw protectors' Got these at lowes http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=137975-37672-881036&lpage=none

When mine rotted off last year, I made up a couple with a short length of hose and a plug in the end. And then, they started mysteriously disappearing. I came to the conclusion that someone was pulling them off where I park the bike at work, one at a time, just to mess with my head. They definitely were not falling off by themselves... I ended up using a connecting hose between them.

Interestingly, my stalling problem didn't start until after I had installed the connecting hose and done a TB sync and cleared the accumulated carbon out of the right hand idle screw passages. The bike didn't stall with missing caps on either side, but I think that the blocked idle screw was compensating somehow for the vaccum leak.

Archived