IGNORED

What is normal oil Consumption for my new R1100S?

thenok

Hei!

My new R1100S with 2500km on the clock have used 500ml oil the last 1500km. I know these boxers use some oil, but do anyone know if so much is normal?

When i started it up earlier today, blue smoke came out the exhoust pipes for about 1 minute. It also smoked blue when I started it up after a 2 hour stop. Is this normal too?? Getting a bit worried frown.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

That oil consumption is not out of line for a new bike.

Monitor oil level and don't over fill.

In time it will get better.

Mine, at 70.8K kilometers, burns hardly any oil. Less than 1 liter in th 14K kilometer change interval I use now that I have switched to Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

Good to hear that it is not unusual smile.gif.

But is the blue smoke normal when starting? Cant see any blue smoke when driving though. Understand that the oil dissapers trough the pipes but not so much it would make blue smoke.

ShovelStrokeEd

Are you sure its not just water vapor? That is a pretty long exhaust system with lots of slow to heat components. In addition, on cooler mornings there will be quite a bit of starting enrichement taking place. Could be just a fuzz rich for awhile until the motor warms up. Oil smoke also has a distinctive odor. Wave some smoke towards your nose with your hand. You will quickly be able to tell the difference.

Smells like oil, it is oil. Noticed it for the first time today. Wite smoke is common on in damm wether.I`ve seen that. Did not like the blue smoke, but somehow the oil have to get out of the engine smirk.gif. The bike have not been used for the last 2 weeks, that can probably bee the cause?

ShovelStrokeEd

Its just not worn in yet. The sitting has nothing to do with it other than not getting it worn in any sooner. There are a couple of excellent threads on wearing one of these in back a year or two ago. If you can get the search engine working for you. +wear +in look for username RD Frantz. Use his method and you will be rewarded with a sweet running and long lived bike.

Archived