IGNORED

Run to Key West, Miami info and help please....

roadshadowww

roadshadowww

The wife and I are skipping Biketoberfest this year but are still headed south, only this time to Key West.

I've not traveled this route but our plan is to leave ATL and rundown to Orlando, stay a day with her brother a day.

I've checked the distance ORL to KeyWest and it looks like 8hrs and by M/C it'll be closer to 10 with stops.

So we're looking at breaking this leg ??? at Miami for the night so we can take 4-5 hrs Miami to KeyWest an enjoy the trip more. Getting to our hotel at a good check in time 3-5pm.

So shuold I get off the FL Trnpike about 2/3 ways down and run thur the backroads? or stay on the Trnpike/95?

Is the Miami airport area ok for a hotel or otherwise?

Thanks for your suggestions on this.

When I goto Key West from Orlando I usually go all the way in one shot so I cant help with a Miami stop over. When I do that run however I go south on US27. Its a little more interesting and less traffic than 95 or the turnpike.

Enjoy your trip.

roadshadowww

Thanks Randy,

If it was just me and riding alone that's what I'd do, but 2 up and not trying to push it, Miami is needed.

I think 27 is a great suggestion, I like less traffic and more interesting.

Regards!

Lets_Play_Two

I would not suggest the Miami airport area as a stopping point, but don't have an alternative. US 27 is going to get you to about 103rd street nw. You might call BMW Motorcycles of Miami for suggestion on staying. They are not far from the airport and might have suggestions. I'm not sure how much more interesting US27 is south of Lake Okeechobee, but the traffic will be less until you get into NW Miami-Dade.

Just came back from Key West last night - they said they're ready for you!

OK, if you are in a "smell the roses" mood, I'd take 27 all the way South until it picks up SW 177th Ave/Krome Ave, and take that all the way south until you pick up US 1 at Florida City. Orlando to Miami is 4 hours by Turnpike, why not make it 6 and stay in much nicer and more relaxed Key Largo for the night? It's a no brainer. This route keeps you away from the city's mess, and while you have a few stop lights along the way, it's fairly wide open once you get about an hour's worth of riding south of Orlando on 27 (which you pick up taking I-4).

Then (here's the good part), you wake up early, and ride to Marathon where you feast on breakfast at a hole-in-the wall place called the Stuffed Pig. I highly suggest the Lobster Benedict with Key Lime Hollandaise as it is lobster season. Sit at an outside patio table out back. That puts you into Key West ready to put down the kick stand, energized, and prepped for a stroll down Duval. Breakfast again at Blue Heaven!

+1 on Key Largo... lived in Fla 25 years... my advice... avoid Miami like the plague.

You will feel good to be in the Keys. Key Largo is large enough for lodging choices and south enough to get you in the mood. Then enjoy the easy ride to Key West the next day.

+1 to what Jake says. Key Largo has lots of choices for places to stay and, depending on what day it is, you'll be way better off starting from here instead of the mainland. Don't be in a hurry going down the keys, relax and enjoy. Oh, stop in the Green Parrot in KW and tell them I said hi. :grin:

Nice n Easy Rider
Just came back from Key West last night - they said they're ready for you!

OK, if you are in a "smell the roses" mood, I'd take 27 all the way South until it picks up SW 177th Ave/Krome Ave, and take that all the way south until you pick up US 1 at Florida City. Orlando to Miami is 4 hours by Turnpike, why not make it 6 and stay in much nicer and more relaxed Key Largo for the night? It's a no brainer. This route keeps you away from the city's mess, and while you have a few stop lights along the way, it's fairly wide open once you get about an hour's worth of riding south of Orlando on 27 (which you pick up taking I-4).

Then (here's the good part), you wake up early, and ride to Marathon where you feast on breakfast at a hole-in-the wall place called the Stuffed Pig. I highly suggest the Lobster Benedict with Key Lime Hollandaise as it is lobster season. Sit at an outside patio table out back. That puts you into Key West ready to put down the kick stand, energized, and prepped for a stroll down Duval. Breakfast again at Blue Heaven!

+1 on breakfast at Blue Heaven while you're in Key West. It's an experience. :)

We lived in Orlando for many years and my wife's parents had a house in the Keys. Depending on where you are staying in Orlando, I would take 15 (Narcosse Road)which is out by the airport, off of 417. From 15, take 441 which will wind you through Yeehaw Junction, down around Lake Okeechobee and will intersect with 27 in Belle Glade on the South end of Lake Okeechobee. This is a much more interesting route and, believe it or not, a more direct route.

True, that is more direct, and 441 gives you a brief but nice view of Lake Okeechobee on the top of the bridge where it intersects with 76, but depending on the time of day the truck traffic in the towns of Okeechobee and Belle Glade can stop you cold on a hot rush hour these days. It is potentially a quicker exit out of the Orlando area though, and should save some time. 27 can be slow from Haines City to Sebring.

We lived in Orlando for many years and my wife's parents had a house in the Keys. Depending on where you are staying in Orlando, I would take 15 (Narcosse Road)which is out by the airport, off of 417. From 15, take 441 which will wind you through Yeehaw Junction, down around Lake Okeechobee and will intersect with 27 in Belle Glade on the South end of Lake Okeechobee. This is a much more interesting route and, believe it or not, a more direct route.

agree and at the end of narcoossee rd (15) keep going south and tie into canoe creek if you'd like to see some real florida wilderness. it's probably a bit quicker as well. if not 441 is east on 192 about 15 miles from narcoossee road. depending on both our schedules in october maybe we can ride a bit together. this area is close to home and an area i ride quite often.

roadshadowww

Great suggestions everyone.

I've check over the route, excellent heading out, as my brother-in-law lives just off Narcoossee Rd.

We are into "Roses and Cooling our Jets", so I'll make the stop in Largo not Miami, I will do the eatries you've listed, as eating to me is only 2nd to riding.

Thanks Again for taking time to post your thoughts.

Bfish, we're departing Orlando Monday the 26th Oct and to KW on Tuesday. Back up on Sat 31st......

Let's talk and see if we can ride a bit together.

Had a great time riding with the Texas personalities when I went out to BIB BEND.

Great suggestions everyone.

I've check over the route, excellent heading out, as my brother-in-law lives just off Narcoossee Rd.

We are into "Roses and Cooling our Jets", so I'll make the stop in Largo not Miami, I will do the eatries you've listed, as eating to me is only 2nd to riding.

Thanks Again for taking time to post your thoughts.

Bfish, we're departing Orlando Monday the 26th Oct and to KW on Tuesday. Back up on Sat 31st......

Let's talk and see if we can ride a bit together.

Had a great time riding with the Texas personalities when I went out to BIB BEND.

10-4...

I think you will like that route. As told by BFish you will see some real Florida wilderness. You will also be able to make good time on 441 off of 192 (I forgot about the little divit between 15 and 441) Real wilderness, 70 MPH and greater if you feel the need for many miles. Have a good ride and have a great time in Key West. Many good restaurants and hundreds of bars, each with its own personality.....

Archived