IGNORED

Accessory Power Point Q

Paul Szilard - Australia

Paul Szilard - Australia

My Accessory Power Point seems to have a mind of its own. I suspect that the canbus computer assesses when it needs to save power and then it turns off the accessory socket, until it has enough juice to turn it back on. However I would like confirmation of this.

When I started the bike and it was 2 deg C, I got no accessory power for about 15 minutes, after which it came on by itself. However there have been other times when it would go on/off at seemingly random! This could be attributed to the battery voltage perhaps fluctuating, or the canbus pc having a fit.

It is a bit annoying, when my GPS is unavailable, and I am in unknown territory. The GPS's inbuilt battery doesn't give long enough time to be useful.

So,

Q1: Is my assumption right, that the canbus pc decides on when to provide accessory power?

Q2: If I want to make accessory power always available, can I rewire it directly to the battery (via a fuse), without incurring the wrath of Canbus?

I wired my zumo direct to the battery with the supplied wiring. I also wired a powerlet direct for my Battery charger.

I believe Canbus will stop power if it detects too much power draw. It also stops power about one minute after you turn the key off.

Paul,

Q1: Is my assumption right, that the canbus pc decides on when to provide accessory power?……

--Not exactly.. The can-bus is only the messenger it controls nothing.. The ZFE module does the power outlet controlling.. Even then the power outlet isn’t usually turned it off & on at random. Usually once it shuts down the ign switch needs to be cycled to bring it back on.. You problem sounds like problems in the connector or wiring to the power outlet..

Q2: If I want to make accessory power always available, can I rewire it directly to the battery (via a fuse), without incurring the wrath of Canbus?…..

--Yes, a lot of us do just that.. a fused strand alone circuit wil make you a much happier person..

Twisty

The behavior you are describing is not normal. The socket should be live at all times when the bike is on unless there is a fault.

Paul In Australia
My Accessory Power Point seems to have a mind of its own. I suspect that the canbus computer assesses when it needs to save power and then it turns off the accessory socket, until it has enough juice to turn it back on. However I would like confirmation of this.

Hi Paul. ( this will get confusing later I am sure)

if the problem is the rear Power outlet( the one under the pillion seat on the upper left side? Do you have any accessories using the power from this source? ( brake led's, etc)

If not I would go to Twisty's suggestion and wire through a fuse block straight to the battery.

regards

PCH

I suspect that the canbus computer assesses when it needs to save power and then it turns off the accessory socket, until it has enough juice to turn it back on.

I actually heard this same line from my dealer, not surprising because so far I don't think they're explained even one technical item and been correct.

You may have a ZFE or wiring problem because that behavior isn't normal... if you're under warranty you might want to get it checked out, and don't accept any silly BS from the dealer. You should see solid and steady power while the ignition is on unless you're drawing too much current, in which case the outlet will shut down until the ignition is cycled. But that would take way more power than any GPS could draw so the problem isn't with your GPS.

As others have said no problem wiring direct to the battery, but you might want to ensure that any quiescent current draw (meaning with the unit turned off) is minimal, else it can be hard on your battery.

Archived