IGNORED

RT Died will on the Highway

Foot

I was coming back from Atlanta Friday and my 96 R1100RT just quit, nada nothing. I was able to coast to an off ramp and get off the highway. My wife came an got me with my truck and trailer, so the bike is now home.

I have lights, turns signals, but no info on the RID and nothing when I hit the start button. The battery is still at a good voltage, 12.4 I believe. I checked all my fuses both visually and with the ohm meter, all are good. I pulled the skins and took the kill switch and the side stand switch loose from their connectors and checked their functionality. Both were good as was the starter button. I found that the green/red wire that connects the kills switch and the side stand switch had melted/bubbled insulation. It must have got hot at one time or another, possibly when I low sided in 05 and tore off the side stand switch. I ohm'd out the green/red wire and it is still intact. I checked for a possible short with the other wires in the harness and nothing came up.

I am lost as to what to check next, any ideas.

Thanks

Alan

Alan., lots of possibilities..

I guess the first place to check is the wire harness where it is tie strapped to the frame in the steering neck area.. Wiggle the harness while watching for power to come on..

Other than that use a test light or voltmeter & trace the power from the ign switch to the kill switch & starter button..

The fact that it quit while running means that it probably isn’t (just) the starter circuit (still could be side stand switch or wiring though)..

What fuses have power on both sides when the key is turned off & on?

Twisty

Twisty I get all my indicator lights, Battery, Oil on the dash but nothing on the RID. I will try to trace and see if there is power to those switches. Thanks I will check tomorrow after the dentist visit.

Alan

My side stand switch checked out with an ohm meter too.......but it was still broken. Mine left me sitting on the side of the highway during bumper to bumper rush hour traffic. Not a fun morning commute.

Try disconnecting the sidestand switch and shorting the wires on the bike side connector with a paper clip. Mine popped right back to life. For a long term fix, I ended up cutting the wires of the sidestand switch a few inches from the connector, connecting them with a wire nut, and wrapping it in electrical tape.

OK Keith I jumped the side stand switch and behold the bike started up. Now for the weird part. I hooked the switch back up and it started also. I am thinking that the turd floater rain Chris K and I were in may have seeped into the switch and shorted it to ground. I have some spray electrical contact cleaner. I am going to take all the harness connections apart and spray them. I still suspect one of the two switches, and I am leaning heavily toward the side stand switch.

Thanks for the help Keith!

Alan

russell_bynum

Alan

Eh......no problem, always glad to share the misery of German electrical systems

Hey, at least it's not Lucas Prince of Darkness!

Alan

Eh......no problem, always glad to share the misery of German electrical systems

At least it's not British wiring. I had a MG that drove me nuts!!

Archived