IGNORED

Texting While Driving

pbbeck

I spotted this video on Youtube. It's a PSA from the UK about teens texting while driving. WARNING: It is very graphic. I wish it would air here in the States. It gets the point across rather clearly.

Yeah, I saw that on BBC a few weeks ago. It's become quite viral in the past week. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't hit here, but I couldn't find anyone that's mentioned it here until now.

You'll never see it or anything like it here in the USA. I'm sure some psychologist has deemed stuff like that as too violent (honest?) for our tender teens' eyes to behold.

I didn't see it, but have it on good authority that Fox News ran it.

It's my opinion that, unfortunately, most teen-age texters that see it will laugh it off as a TV production. "Look at that stoopid twit! Can't even type n drive! Haha!"

Drove up on my daughter texting while driving home from from church a few weeks ago. As I was beside her left shoulder, I stood on the horn. You should have seen her head jerk around. I didn't read her the riot act when she got home, just explained the many recorded consequences of texting drivers & m/c riders. She had her reasons/excuses, but I had an answer for every one. I also pointed out how many dolts I have to deal with on an almost daily basis.

I believe she got it. I wish the others would, too.

I wrote my first text ticket last week. Pulled up next to a teen who was looking at her lap at a red light. I looked through the window and she was thumbing away. She admitted she was texting and knew it was illegal. She was also under 18 which means she is violating the "no cell phone use under any circumstances, including hands free devices". She knew about that law too.

She got an award.

Text tickets are difficult to enforce since the offense occur below the level of the side windows.

Fox News ran it with the question of whether it should be shown as a commercial in the US...

I caught it last week during a lunch break at the office... they tend to keep Fox News up in the break-room... except when some of the ladies change it to a soap or Opra...

In my honest opinion... I don't think it would help teens any... it would reinforce those that already know better and cause those that think they are better to look down on the ones that got hit... as for the ones sitting on the fence, they will continue to sit there due to peer pressure...

Regards -

-Bob

Fox News ran it with the question of whether it should be shown as a commercial in the US...

I caught it last week during a lunch break at the office... they tend to keep Fox News up in the break-room... except when some of the ladies change it to a soap or Opra...

In my honest opinion... I don't think it would help teens any... it would reinforce those that already know better and cause those that think they are better to look down on the ones that got hit... as for the ones sitting on the fence, they will continue to sit there due to peer pressure...

Regards -

-Bob

It might keep kids from riding with the kid who can't stop texting while driving. You know how it is, if you don't have your hands on the controls you aren't so confident.

It might keep kids from riding with the kid who can't stop texting while driving. You know how it is, if you don't have your hands on the controls you aren't so confident.

There is that thought... or maybe one of the passengers would take away the text device until they got to their destination... although that might cause a fight and thus a wreck...

Still... if we could squeeze our experience into a bottle and get teens to drink it, maybe they would understand why so many of us worry over actions they take...

Of course... when they drive to school and look in the car next to them at the guy reading his newspaper, shaving or the lady putting on her makeup, talking on her cell... I guess they get the impression if old folks can do this, my reaction time is faster, so I can text without a problem...

Too bad auto-engineering can't create something that would disable all communications devices in the drivers seat while the car is in gear... that would nail a lot of these problems... or make the infraction visible to LEO's so that they could pull them over...

Of course, in our cash strapped cities and states, upping the fine for this to $2500 per incident might adjust a couple of people's priorities...

Regards -

-Bob

Remember in the early 80s when our society cast a spotlight on drinking and driving? Ongoing commercials, billboards, magazine ads, posters in school - all served to fundamentally change our thinking and as a result, our behavior.

Now the problem is that a new link has been formed between two behaviors - driving and telephony (calling and/or texting), and it is that link that must be extinguished. I live in an apartment building and must ride an elevator down several floors to an underground garage to get to my car or bike. Fifteen years ago, riding down with someone on there way to their car, they would have their keys out and maybe a briefcase or purse with them. Not anymore! Today the keys are in one hand while they cue up their call list on their phone in the other. I watch as coworkers heading to the parking lot after work have their keys in one hand and their phone in the other, dialing as they walk.

Using the media to change people's thinking through the use of PSAs worked with drunk driving. Before that it worked with seatbelt use. It will work with texting/calling while driving. too. It's silly to hide graphic PSAs from young people - especially ones that send strong, memorable, and emotional messages. Yes, teens don't necessarily think rationally all the time (the frontal lobe is the last part of the brain to finish developing), but they DO think on an emotional level, and it's on this level this video makes its impact. A large proportion of teens who see this would probably change their thinking about texting and driving. Maybe they can look out for the ones who are too dense to know better.

der Wanderer

Well thought out post. I fully agree, on all points.

If that does not work though, we may find ourselves with a prohibition that will be technically enforced. The ban would likely have some collateral damage (such as preventing passengers as well) but it might be worth it.

Triangulation of mobiles for geolocalization already works today. Carriers could derive speed, and reject communications for any device traveling at more than 5 mph for example... Want to speak or text, stop your car. Too bad for bus riders ;)

keep in mind that it's not just teens that have become addicted to their cell phones to the point where their sense of rationale has been breached.

when i see a full-grown woman driving down a busy street with a cigarette in one hand and a cell phone in the other, with kids bouncing around in the back seat, i know in my heart that something has got to be done. and the scariest thing about it is, i see it every single day.

something radical, like the technological solution mentioned above, will eventually have to be implemented in order to end the crack-berry madness, and to save ourselves from ourselves.

sad as it is, it's apparent that if left to our own devices, an increasing number of us are failing to act responsibly.

I'm amazed at how many young people are killed in accidents while not wearing seat belts. They've never been in a car without a seatbelt installed. They started their lives riding in child seats and were proud to be "big kids now" when they got in booster seats and used seat belts. After all this indoctrinization, they would have had to make a conscious choice to not fasten their seat belt when they got in the car. Of course they weren't planning on someone crashing and their being ejected from the car, but it seems to me that sheer habit would have gotten that seat belt fastened.

My point is that after years of indoctrinizing the public on seatbelts can fail with young people, why do you think it will work with cellphones?

Harry_Wilshusen

It's my opinion that, unfortunately, most teen-age texters that see it will laugh it off as a TV production. "Look at that stoopid twit! Can't even type n drive! Haha!"

Drove up on my daughter texting while driving home from from church a few weeks ago. As I was beside her left shoulder, I stood on the horn. You should have seen her head jerk around. I didn't read her the riot act when she got home, just explained the many recorded consequences of texting drivers & m/c riders. She had her reasons/excuses, but I had an answer for every one. I also pointed out how many dolts I have to deal with on an almost daily basis.

Something similar happened with my son. He sent me a text at a time I knew he was driving. I called Sprint and had all texting, data & internet blocked from all of our phones.

Point made. problem solved.

Saved money to boot. :grin:

Harry

Something similar happened with my son. He sent me a text at a time I knew he was driving. I called Sprint and had all texting, data & internet blocked from all of our phones.

Point made. problem solved.

Saved money to boot. :grin:

Harry

Nice one Harry!

Remember in the early 80s when our society cast a spotlight on drinking and driving? Ongoing commercials, billboards, magazine ads, posters in school - all served to fundamentally change our thinking and as a result, our behavior.

True, but if you recall, it took a long time to take effect... in fact, they are STILL promoting this in ads and billboards...

Maybe if we get the parents behind it and drill it into their heads enough, it will make a difference...

If only more responsible parents like Harry were willing to step up to the plate...

and yes, I have had all text messages disabled to my phone for 3 years now...

Regards -

-Bob

I have participated in the "Every 15 minutes" program in Coronado a few times. It is a powerful demonstration. It is mandatory for all students to attend--they fill the bleachers and we have the "scene" laid out on the field in front of them. When we first begin there is nervous amusement as the kids recognize a few of their classmates, the noise level gets louder as we roll onto the field with lights and sirens . . . but when we fire up the "Jaws of Life" and start cutting out the "patients" . . . and throw the yellow sheets over the "deceased" it starts to get VERY quiet in the stands. We have their rapt attention, I assure you. You can just hear the sobs as the last of us sweep up around those yellow sheets awaiting the Medical Examiner's van and the crying becomes audible as we load the bodies into the back and it slowly pulls away.

As a participant I never get to see the part where they have to write the postcard to their parents explaining how/why they died, but I hear it's pretty powerful.

If your area doesn't participate, you should look into getting one put on at YOUR kids' school. Looks like we'll have to add texting into the protocol. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Archived