IGNORED

Is this dumb question #4 or 5????

Whip

I need to add some length to my side stand.

I'm a pretty good welder. It needs about an inch added to it. I have a few scraps of metal around the garage/barn. Can I disconnect the battery to save the ABS (I saw LWR) or do I need to remove the side stand?????

L

Charles Elms

Before I would weld an extension, I would get one of the "big foot" or equilavent pads that attach to your sidestand with small bolts or clips and screw a thick plywood piece to that. This way you can be sure that the length is correct and it will retract properly. I know this does not answer you question about welding. I would remove the sidestand before welding with arc welder.

I'm a pretty good welder. It needs about an inch added to it. I have a few scraps of metal around the garage/barn. Can I disconnect the battery to save the ABS (I saw LWR) or do I need to remove the side stand?????

L

Whip, IF you place your welder ground directly on the side stand there should be no current backflow into the motorcycle.. Mig welders are not that bad on electronics anyhow..

The high frequency on a Tig welder can be a problem but I have Tig welded on many many cars & a few electronic bikes & never had a problem with electronics damage..

Twisty

Before I would weld an extension, I would get one of the "big foot" or equilavent pads that attach to your sidestand with small bolts or clips and screw a thick plywood piece to that. This way you can be sure that the length is correct and it will retract properly. I know this does not answer you question about welding. I would remove the sidestand before welding with arc welder.

I hate the look of those goofy things, and they look like they get in the way when your riding.

L

Whip, IF you place your welder ground directly on the side stand there should be no current backflow into the motorcycle.. Mig welders are not that bad on electronics anyhow..

The high frequency on a Tig welder can be a problem but I have Tig welded on many many cars & a few electronic bikes & never had a problem with electronics damage..

Twisty

I'm gonna use my MIG.

Didn't look at the bike that close so not sure if the side stand is bent??

I always remove to weld, makes it easy to get 360 degrees on the table.

The trick way is cut the sidestand in a good location, weld in a bolt (stainless) in one end and the nut to the other end. Allows for adjustment and cinch down with another nut as lock nut. The bolt size would just fit inside the sidestand, fine thread for better adjustment, but that may be over kill.

On your exhaust too close to the pannier, I would cut just inside of the bend on exhaust pipe and take about 1/2" or less out and weld back to miss frame with exhaust, then add spacer to mount on side of muffler when mounting.

Also, if you haven't already, make sure the sidestand bolt is good and tight. It comes up from underneath. If there's any play in your sidestand, that'll get the bike leaning. Dunno about the GSA, but on the RT it gets torqued to 58 Nm!

DavidEBSmith

I had a H-D shop weld up the wire tang on my sidestand and they used an arc welder before I could stop them. No problem with my ABS or any other electronics on the bike.

Whip, I did the same, made my own foot and welded it on, but I removed the side stand first. HOWEVER, and there always is a HOWEVER when I do something... shape it so that it doesn't hit the center stand when it is up. DAMHIK.

Whip, I did the same, made my own foot and welded it on, but I removed the side stand first. HOWEVER, and there always is a HOWEVER when I do something... shape it so that it doesn't hit the center stand when it is up. DAMHIK.

That the kinda info u can't get just anywhere.

Yes the current flow of the welder can kill the electronics but so can the EMP from the arc. Do a fourier transform of a square wave and you get every frequency out there. Combined with the sudden rise in EM field strengh and any unshielded electronics can die. Doesn't even have to be electrically connected to the welding circuit to be damaged. You can also kill the motronic as well. Better safe than sorry, remove the part you are going ot weld or remove your electronics.

Archived