IGNORED

Labor Day Weekend Ride

ArmyGuy

So I finally get a long weekend to run the perimiter of Arizona. I plan on hitting a town or scenic point of interest at each of the four corners. Day 1 I plan on running thru Douglas and heading up to Gallup, NM. Day 2 should be in incredible day. I’ll start off visiting the four corners monument then head West and run through Monument Valley to Page, AZ then through Zion Nat’l Park on my way to St George, UT. Day 3 will take me through the Northwest corner and Littlefield, AZ, Las Vegas, Needles, CA – gotta visit Snoopy’s cousin, Spike, on my way down past Yuma to San Luis then over to Ajo, AZ. Day 4 will take me home. Aside from the heat, is there anything I should be aware of up North or West?

Here’s a link of my route (hope it works):

Mike

Although 180 in western NM is beautiful, 191 from Clifton to Alpine in eastern AZ is spectacular. I'd head to Clifton AZ from Lordsburg and run that section of 191 (old 666).

I just ran 191 last week. There are crews out patching potholes with asphault, leaving plenty of marbles.....

Still a spectacular road! Highly recommended. Leave plenty of time as the posted speed limit over most of the road is 25-35MPH.

Sometimes high winds around Monument Valley and over on I-8 and down to Ajo.

If you prefer a more scenic and twisty route use 89A via Jacob Lake to Fredonia, and avoid Page.

Should be a nice run. A little flat and straight for my taste on the way back, but if you got to see Needles, you got to see Needles.

We enjoyed a breakfast in Needles here:

240890347_rJHbd-O.jpg

Many very inexpensive motels nearby.

Ajo historic downtown is interesting. Services/accomodations are poor, at least in our one experience.

Also traveled 89A last week. Road is in great shape and is a very nice scenic motocycling road. Highly recommended 89A over 89 between Kanab/Fredonia and Page area. Good idea also to bypass Page on 89A. It's been a while since I've been in a town so utterly dedicated to milking money from tourists... Prices sky high. Quality very poor, whether motels, dining, etc...

Hey guys, thanks for the tips. I'm still comtemplating takng 191....it is a beautiful ride. I will definitely change up days 2 and 3. 89A down to the north rim on day 2 looks like it'll be a hoot and on through the valley of fire instead of Vegas looks more fun for day 3. I'll post pics when I get back. Thanks again for the advise.

Mike

Archived