IGNORED

Is 1 1/4oz too excessive to make balance?

Willie

Mounted up a front PR2 today and needed (5) 1/4 oz. weights to get it to balance. Is that excessive? My PR that I took off didn't have any weight on it, but checking the balance before I stripped it off, it was out a bit. Dealer did that one. This is my first mounting. Thought about breaking the bead and rotating the tire, but I had a H#LL of a time getting the bead to pop on this one and didn't want to have to go through that again. I had to take it to a buddies with a BIG compressor and ended up still having to pull the valve core and use a rachet tie down before it popped. It balances good with this weight, but just wanted to know if there is a usual excessive amount before moving the tire around. Thanks

ETA Typing faster than I'm thinking. I have a PR on the back. I just pilled a Z6 off the front. That had the 2 red dots mounted right by the stem. Probably why it was somewhat close with no weights. Wish the PR's had a dot so you aren't totally flying blind.

What Mitch said, sometimes it just comes out that way. But if it's balanced, it's balanced so no need to be concerned. And BTW that's why it's a good idea to check balance when changing tires... usually it's pretty close, but sometimes it isn't...

According to BMW the maximum allowable balance weight is 2.1 oz. So you should be fine.

What happens if you have a tire that requires more to balance it ??? Do you ship it back for a new one ??? or just order a different tire or clean the wheel or...

Guess I am running out of ideas here for what you would do if it doesn't fall within the 2.1 oz...

Regards -

-Bob

According to BMW the maximum allowable balance weight is 2.1 oz. So you should be fine.

What happens if you have a tire that requires more to balance it ??? Do you ship it back for a new one ??? or just order a different tire or clean the wheel or...

Guess I am running out of ideas here for what you would do if it doesn't fall within the 2.1 oz...

Regards -

-Bob

That is a really good question! My GUESS would be that any tire that needed more balance than that would be somehow defective.

If nobody else chimes in I will see if I can get you a better answer.

When I mounted my PR2's the tires were better balanced than the rims. When I need excessive amount of wheel weights I re break the bead and rotate the tire on the rim until I get a better balance.

Am I mis-remembering that tires come with a mark to indicate where to align the tire relative to the valve stem for better balance?

Edit. Googled the answer: Balance Marks

Most motorcycle tires dont seem to come with those marks, atleast the 4 different brands I have used didn't.

Thanks for the help. Just for reference, the heavy part of mine when checked was at the valve stem. I should have checked balance of just the rim to see how that was. I'll do that on the rear. That has 3 weights on it now. I'd like to get more info to see how close the guys are that just balance the rim and then don't rebalance the mounted tire are. I'm thinking that the argument that the tires are balanced at the factory is out since I started with no weights on the front and am now at 5 weights to get balance. If the tires are all supposed to be close from the start, technically I should have needed no weight again, right?

Has anyone considered the ceramic beads which act as dynamic balancers?

It's mostly considered BS by anyone with a physics degree and considered gospel by those who've tried them (including some well educated doubters)

On YouTube:

Linz :)

When I mounted my PR2's the tires were better balanced than the rims. When I need excessive amount of wheel weights I re break the bead and rotate the tire on the rim until I get a better balance.
+1.. I spent several years working on race/performance/street rod applications and this is the procedure I would follow.

Archived