IGNORED

Shooting Clays...with a Compound Bow

David

I was just watching Extreme Marxmen on The History Channel and they featured several guys like this. Absolutely amazing.

My wife and I got into a tiff over this video. My reaction was "Amazing." Hers was, "Well look at the bow he's using." I tried to explain how difficult it is to hit a clay pigeon even with a shotgun. She replied, "Well, a shotgun shoots a bullet, doesn't it? How hard can it be?" :dopeslap:

My wife and I got into a tiff over this video. My reaction was "Amazing." Hers was, "Well look at the bow he's using." I tried to explain how difficult it is to hit a clay pigeon even with a shotgun. She replied, "Well, a shotgun shoots a bullet, doesn't it? How hard can it be?" :dopeslap:

Based on your reporting of her perspective on this, I would wholeheartedly encourage you to give up on her in regard to this topic. :)

The bruises I had on my shoulder/upper arm were enough to remind me that it is not easy to even shoot the dang shotgun properly, let alone hit the clay pigeon with any consistancy. I have never yet held one of those compound bows. Hmmm.

Kathy, did you notice how much force he has to exert to get the initial pull? You can see how much force it requires at the initial angle.

He seems like a nice fellow, too. I'll bet he has a fun career doing something related to this.

Kathy, did you notice how much force he has to exert to get the initial pull? You can see how much force it requires at the initial angle.

He seems like a nice fellow, too. I'll bet he has a fun career doing something related to this.

Yes, I see what you mean; I'd likely pop a blood vessel in my neck, my bra would fly off and I'd be one big black and blue mark. Still.... :grin:

Agreed on his character. Nice young man.

russell_bynum

I saw a deal on OLN a while back where an archery school was teaching students to do this. They weren't hitting every time, but all of the students did manage to hit a clay bird with their bow. Seems pretty impressive to me. I have a hard enough time hitting the damn things with the shotgun.

I was just watching Extreme Marxmen on The History Channel and they featured several guys like this. Absolutely amazing.
[hijack] Am I the only one that found that typo extremely funny? Of all the people to be watching a show on "Extreme Marxmen..." :)

[/hijack]

[hijack] Am I the only one that found that typo extremely funny? Of all the people to be watching a show on "Extreme Marxmen..." :)

[/hijack]

:rofl: I'm sure he thought it was about Groucho, et. al.

[/hijack]

Damned it, I'm out of the closet. :dopeslap:

:grin:

"I'm sorry, the secret word was clock, not closet."

What can I say? I've been down with the flu. It's been a tough week. :D

Dave McReynolds

My own interest is in traditional bows (recurves and longbows), and we occasionally shoot at moving targets, more like the disc he was throwing by hand, or a goose target that has been strung on a wire through the trees, which move quite a bit slower than the clay pigeons thrown by a machine. I've hunted ducks with my recurve, and let's just say that if I was ever put in a situation where I had to feed myself that way, I'd get pretty hungry.

We've always thought that it is easier to hit a moving target with a traditional bow than a compound bow, since the features of a compound bow that make it superior to a traditional bow in some situations, the let-off and sights, would be of no advantage in shooting at a moving target, whereas the weight and general clunkiness of a compound bow might be a disadvantage. The way we shoot a traditional bow, instinctively, is more similar to shooting a shotgun than a rifle, whereas the reverse is generally true of shooting a compound bow. Which makes it all the more of an accomplishment, in my view, that he's hitting those moving targets with a compound bow.

When my friend Rick Welch won the world's traditional archery championship a year or so ago, he did it by shooting into a baseball sized area on 30 animal targets at unmarked distances from about 15 to about 30 yards, and hitting within that area 29 out of 30 shots. On the shot he missed, he hit within the larger, maybe 8" kill zone. These animal targets were not moving.

On the face of it, the guy in the video is hitting smaller targets that are moving, and so appears to be shooting better than the world champion. Of course, it didn't say that he hit every clay pigeon he shot at, and competition under pressure is more demanding than shooting in your backyard. But he does seem to be quite good at what he does!

What amazes me, is that from what I know abotu bows, to shoot accurately, you need descent arrows. In many cases arrows are damaged and not reuseable after missing a target and hitting the groud or other fixed object. (maybe target arrows are more robust???). It woudl seem to me that shooting clay pigeons could get very expensive, or is even more impressive if he's using cheap arrows.

I group from my work went trap shooting once. We use a 20 gauge..since were were complete novices. My shoulder was pretty sore, and I only hit maybe a half dozen clays at most. But I always find for a non-gun owner, that these are great learning experiences if nothing else.

It's a little OT, but it seems like guns..and bows are similar to motorcycles in that it's not something most of the general public does, but it would change their perspective if they had the opportunity to experience them first hand.

Dave McReynolds

What amazes me, is that from what I know about bows, to shoot accurately, you need descent arrows. In many cases arrows are damaged and not reuseable after missing a target and hitting the groud or other fixed object. (maybe target arrows are more robust???). It woudl seem to me that shooting clay pigeons could get very expensive, or is even more impressive if he's using cheap arrows.

He's using what are called flu-flu arrows, meaning that the arrows have way more feathers on them than the average hunting or target arrow. They are specifically made to shoot at flying targets, since they start out at whatever the bow's normal velocity is, but quickly lose their velocity and fall to the ground after 30-40 yards. So he probably doesn't lose too many arrows, and they probably aren't damaged unless they hit a rock or something. Interestingly, flu-flu arrows don't really have to be that high quality, since the excessive feathers quickly stabilizes the arrow and so any imperfections wouldn't affect arrow flight very much.

[/hijack]

I thought he was referring to S. Zeitzev (sp?), the famous Soviet sniper... :rofl:

Archived