IGNORED

Letter from BMW re ABS Brakes

Zakato

I don't know if this is supposed to be in the Hexhead area,or somewhere else but I just received a letter from BMW Motorrad USA regarding the integral ABS brakes. I'm not going to re-hash the long, boring, drawn out discussion involving our German friend, OH and what seemed like the rest of the world. Anyway, they explain that "ABS could be temporarily disabled after a specific set of circumstances involving aggressive brake demonstrations or aggressive rider training...in conjunction with a battery of low/and or decreasing voltage."

Anyway, the gave me a suplement to add to my owners manual, and offered a free inspection. I think this may be for the 2004 R1150RT I used to own. There is no mention of which model they are referring to, and I don't know if this applies to my R1200RT which I just bought a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone know about this?

I hope this letter hasn't been discussed somewhere else, and if it has, please point me to the appropriate thread.

In my copy there is no specific mention of the bike model. It just starts with "According to our records, you are the owner of a BMW Motorcycle equipped with integral ABS." Nothing else. Not even the owners manual insert makes mention of the model. I guess it is for all bikes with integral ABS.

Good to see a few thousand trees were cut down for this waste of time.

confused.gif

I just got one for my '03 KRS today, so it means EVERYBODY with a bike with integral brakes (full or partial), will get one.

I don't plan to 'inspect' it, but it was a good move from BMW; glad OH is gone for good now. And glad it wasn't a recall, which was never a reason for one to begin with IMHO.

The letter you are referring to, is that only for BMW owners in the US or do you know if it is going out to all BMW owners world wide?

Take care and keep safe.

Our letter came from BMW Motorrad USA. Lawyers thrive in the USA, so I don't know if BMW Motorrad Australia will follow suit. It depends on their own Risk Management group.

RZ

I also got the letter, for my K12S. I was never on the OH bandwagon, but...isn't the issue that the servo assist is lost when the voltage is low enough, leaving you essentially with manual brakes instead of power, resulting in much more pressure on the levers to stop the bike over a longer distance? This letter talking about disabled ABS seems to gloss over the issue a bit. Must be a compromise between the lawyers and the product folks?

The owner's manual insert is a little more explicit, though: "If only the ABS control function fails, the integral system and the brake booster continue to operate. If these systems also fail, the residual braking function is activated. In this case, the forces to be applied to the brake levers are considerably higher and the required lever travel increases"

I also got the letter, for my K12S. I was never on the OH bandwagon, but...isn't the issue that the servo assist is lost when the voltage is low enough, leaving you essentially with manual brakes instead of power, resulting in much more pressure on the levers to stop the bike over a longer distance? This letter talking about disabled ABS seems to gloss over the issue a bit. Must be a compromise between the lawyers and the product folks?

The owner's manual insert is a little more explicit, though: "If only the ABS control function fails, the integral system and the brake booster continue to operate. If these systems also fail, the residual braking function is activated. In this case, the forces to be applied to the brake levers are considerably higher and the required lever travel increases"

It is actually possible to do the same thing with automotive power brakes. If you pump the brakes with the throttle open, eventually you will run out of vacuum and thus lose the power aspect of the braking system. So what?.....In what real world situation are you going to repetatively panic stop with your foot on the gas (Car) or same situation without the bike's alternator charging the battery? It is possible that the limiting factor would be overheated brakes, not voltage. Non issue.......Nothing to see here........Move on, move on.

I guess it's for all servo assisted bikes, I got two, one for the RT one for the GS.

I'm not sure what this means...

"during which the brake lever is pulled with maximum force and extremely quickly, in combination with a decreasing electrical system voltage, pus the ABS to technical limits at which the control function is no longer fulfilled."

I think it means the brakes don't work. I got the letter too, nice to see they acknowledge the ice-patch effect, now if they would just fix it...

• 3 months later...

I just got a new RT this week and have been experiencing an unexplained brake problem, possibly what BMW is refering to. Four times now in the first 150 miles, the Red Triangle warning light along with the brake failure light have come on along with brake assist failure. When I stop and turn off the ignition, then restart, everything is back to normal. I haven't been back to the dealer yet, but am quite concerned about this condition.

Dennis

I had the same problem. Check the ABS sensor to the front wheel and see if the cable is routed as mine was allowing it to rub against the rotor. Mine had gotten cut causing the system to be grounded. I moved the cable out of the way and taped it up with electrical tape and contacted the dealer. They replaced the cable at the first service thumbsup.gifclap.gif

I had the same problem. Check the ABS sensor to the front wheel and see if the cable is routed as mine was allowing it to rub against the rotor. Mine had gotten cut causing the system to be grounded. I moved the cable out of the way and taped it up with electrical tape and contacted the dealer. They replaced the cable at the first service thumbsup.gifclap.gif

Ditto me.

Survived-til-now

Hi,

Got the same letter, and insert for the manual, here in the UK.

Plus - got a recall letter which my dealer tells me is to have the brakes checked over - just to give confidence because there have been some concerns expressed by some owners re the integral braking system.

Plus - I may have some idea what has prompted at least part of the new entry for the manual. A member of our advanced riders' group attended a training session on his 1200RT that involved practising emergency braking runs. I am not sure exactly what happened but he ended up on the deck because his ABS/braking system didn't perform as expected. I understand he may not be the only person to have experienced a problem with the integral braking system. It is too much of a coincidence that the new insert for the manual makes reference to a problem potentially arising during "rider safety training" etc etc

At least BMW are warning people that repeated deployment of the ABS can drain the battery and thus the voltage can drop when the ABS is deployed once too often.... and I am taking my 1200RT in for that safety check.

Thanks, Guys! I checked my sensor wire to the front wheel and it was obvious; the insulation was worn thru and the sensor wire was touching the rotor. I taped up and rerouted and will test ride as soon as weather permits. I appreciate the tip.

Dennis clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Archived