IGNORED

Which GPS to buy?

Hermes

I am about to replace my trusty Garmin 6220 (60K on bike without a problem, inspite of all the warnings).

In the new GPS's what I am not sure of is weatherproofing, ability to stand up to MC vibrations, availability of MC mounts and availability of power supplied from MC.

Can you enlighten me as to what you guys have, what the mounts are, the power supplies and how you like it in general.

Thanks in advance

The zumo 550/650 are designed for motorcycles and have excellent waterproofing and vibration resistance. In addition they have touch screens designed to work with gloves on your hands and the screens can be read in direct sunlight- most of the time.

They come with M/C mounts since they are designed for motorcycle use. Our BMWs are generally easy to find power on.

Jurgen - If your replacement GPS is for motorcycle use only, the Zumo line can't be beat. I however use Garmin's 60CSx which I transfer from bike to car to boat to backpack, etc. It's weather and shock resistant and incorporates the routing, compass, altimeter, and tracking functions. It is usable (barely) with gloves but does not include radios, phone, bluetooth or voice directions. I have it powered from the RT's dedicated connector and mounted on a home-adapted Garmin bicycle mount. (Actually a pair of AA batteries lasts at least one day so I didn't really need to get power from the bike).

A much less expensive option, and it's worked quite well for me, is the Nuvi 500 or 550. Waterproof, good battery life, no audio output, multiple modes (car, cycle, bicycle, boat...). Get a RAM mount. If I'm not mistaken, Powelet sells a hard-wire cable to replace the cig. lighter plug.

Worth looking into, epecially if your retirement fund isn't quite what it ought to be....

Jurgen, I am doing very well with a Nuvi 200w which cost me $120 refurbished. I LOVE the 4.3" screen which also is extremely bright (just like the Zumo 660). I can see it clearly with the sun over my shoulder and sunglasses on.

I know, it isn't waterproof and does not do routing but I have no need for either.

If I rains I just take it off and put it in my tank bag. I can do this with one hand while moving on the bike or take it off when I stop to put on rain gear. I have been in some gulley washers and have had no problems at all.

Routing.... get a different unit if this is important. 90% of the time I know where I am going and know the basic route so I use paper maps and then watch the GPS to id the road I need to turn on. Once in awhile I'll find the lat and long of a final destination (hotel, restaurant) using Google Earth and then set that as my destination in the GPS. It won't route me the way I want to go (backroads) but will recalculate as I make my turns. Where that comes in really handy is that when you get within 10 miles of your destination it will lead you the rest of the way.

I mount mine a bit differently. I mounted an aluminum plate (thin 1/32") on the back side of my tank bag and velcroed the GPS to that. Not only is it closer to me but the mount is not rigidly attached to the bike and does not suffer from the bike's vibration. Never had anything come loose that was velcroed on. The tank bag is powered from the powerlet socket on the left hand side of the RT and I just use a car charger to power the Nuvi. An added feature is that all I need to do is to unplug the Nuvi, undo the tank bag and everything comes in with me to the Restaurant or hotel.

Works for me.... may not be your cup of tea!

Jurgen, I am doing very well with a Nuvi 200w which cost me $120 refurbished. I really appreciate the 4.3" screen which also is extremely bright (just like the Zumo 660). I can see it clearly with the sun over my shoulder and sunglasses on.

I know, it isn't waterproof and does not do routing but I have no need for either.

If I rains I just take it off and put it in my tank bag. I can do this with one hand while moving on the bike or take it off when I stop to put on rain gear. I have been in some gulley washers and have had no problems at all.

Routing.... get a different unit if this is important. 90% of the time I know where I am going and know the basic route so I use paper maps and then watch the GPS to id the road I need to turn on. Once in awhile I'll find the lat and long of a final destination (hotel, restaurant) using Google Earth and then set that as my destination in the GPS. It won't route me the way I want to go (backroads) but will recalculate as I make my turns. Where that comes in really handy is that when you get within 10 miles of your destination it will lead you the rest of the way.

I mount mine a bit differently. I mounted an aluminum plate (thin 1/32") on the back side of my tank bag and velcroed the GPS to that. Not only is it closer to me but the mount is not rigidly attached to the bike and does not suffer from the bike's vibration. Never had anything come loose that was velcroed on. The tank bag is powered from the powerlet socket on the left hand side of the RT and I just use a car charger to power the Nuvi. An added feature is that all I need to do is to unplug from the powerlet, undo the tank bag and everything, including the Nuvi comes in with me to the Restaurant or hotel.

Works for me.... may not be your cup of tea!

The zumo 550/650 are designed for motorcycles and have excellent waterproofing and vibration resistance. In addition they have touch screens designed to work with gloves on your hands and the screens can be read in direct sunlight- most of the time.

They come with M/C mounts since they are designed for motorcycle use. Our BMWs are generally easy to find power on.

Thank you all for replying.

Yes, routing is an important feature for me and so is waterproofing and Vibration resistance (my tune-ups suck).

From you collective input, I thing the Zumo is right for me especially since it comes with the MC mounts.

Can you give me a price range for it and who has them? I am planning to go back into the blessed land soon for a little sojourn so if it is price effective, I'll pick one up there.

I powered my Garmin 2620 with a power supply hidden behind the Instrument Panel. How does this one get power besides the battery and what is the required inpout voltage e.g. from 12V bike to ? Zumo. Is a adapter required?

Thanks all

Surprised no one mentioned the Garmin GPSMAP 478--rugged, waterproof, real buttons to push, fast routing, large screen, satellite radio & NEXRAD Radar weather, just to mention a few. Have run mine 20K miles in 2 years--no issues.

Thank you all for replying.

Yes, routing is an important feature for me and so is waterproofing and Vibration resistance (my tune-ups suck).

From you collective input, I thing the Zumo is right for me especially since it comes with the MC mounts.

Can you give me a price range for it and who has them? I am planning to go back into the blessed land soon for a little sojourn so if it is price effective, I'll pick one up there.

I powered my Garmin 2620 with a power supply hidden behind the Instrument Panel. How does this one get power besides the battery and what is the required inpout voltage e.g. from 12V bike to ? Zumo. Is a adapter required?

Thanks all

check this forum. +1 one the zumo... let me answer and correct a couple of things.

get a zumo through ama membership(if you can) and get a significant discount direct from garmin..otherwise the price ranges from about 6-800.

Contrary to prior belief and previous posts, the zumo is a motorcycle gps in its ruggedness, waterproofing, and feature set, but is also a full functional GPS for the car or hiking or whatever. It can actually recognize when it on your bike, in your car, or just being toted and will switch to different preset options for each.

The zumo comes with everything you need not only mount it and hardwire it on your bike (if its BMW, its no problem), but a car mount with car cigarette lighter adapter, a carrying case, and mounting hardware for a bike (though there are many custom methods of mounting you might be interested in).

B-1 Pilot

AMA Membership?

Is that Alberta Automobile Asscociation (affiliated with CAA, which is affiliated with AAA)? or,

Association of Municipal Administrator

etc etc

I think it will be the former and I am a Member of the CAA.

could you confirm, please.

Hope I am right and appreciate your heads-up.

I loaded down the 660 Manual and pretty well all my previous Q are answered.

The premium on the Zumo line is absurd. I'm running a non-waterproof non-vibe-resistant Nuvi for over a year now. If it rains a sandwich bag will protect it. If it dies I can replace it two more times (with updated maps and latest GPS features) for the price of one Zumo.

B-1 Pilot

AMA Membership?

Is that Alberta Automobile Asscociation (affiliated with CAA, which is affiliated with AAA)? or,

Association of Municipal Administrator

etc etc

I think it will be the former and I am a Member of the CAA.

could you confirm, please.

Hope I am right and appreciate your heads-up.

I loaded down the 660 Manual and pretty well all my previous Q are answered.

sorry.. didnt check your location... American Motorcycle Association

may not work for you... memberships is 30 for one year to save over 200 on the GPS

The premium on the Zumo line is absurd. I'm running a non-waterproof non-vibe-resistant Nuvi for over a year now. If it rains a sandwich bag will protect it. If it dies I can replace it two more times (with updated maps and latest GPS features) for the price of one Zumo.

and you could dress in trashbags for a cost effective price point too... j/k

even with a nuvi you still have to pay money for mounts, wiring, etc... especially if you want it to look clean, but to each his own. Just trying to give advice to someone who wants a top of the line product.

B-1 Pilot,

Ok for $200 I'll try for a membership.

Thanks

Penforhire,

Your point is well taken, I am often thinking along those lines too. But I do want the features the 550 or 660 offer e.g.

Waterproof, Vibration Resistance, Bluetooth, MP3 Player, Photo ability etc etc.

I wish I could get XM radio as well, that way I could safe on the seperate XM radio, I will be saving on the seperate MP3 Player already.

I almost agree. When my last one (2720) fried (out of warranty), I picked up a refurb for less than the cost of repair. Not as fancy as a Zumo but sufficient for my needs.

der Wanderer

eBay has a lot of decent older StreetPilots, etc typically going for less than $120. Even if they only give you a couple years, it may be worth it if that means Zumo can then be had for half what they go for now (maybe not new but refurb with warranty).

I might have a Zumo some day, but right now I'm using a $250 Nuvi 255w. It does everything I want, except no elevation info. I fastened the supplied mount to my dash with a longer 15 cent tupperware screw and it works just fine, providing a heads-up view of GPS. Also power up with a Powerlet mini usb cable.

Ok I found out the answer to both questions. But I also found out that the 2820 is an old model and most stores have discontinued this item. The ones that stil have 'em, sell for $600 to $800, e-bay has nada. So, where did you buy yours for a song?

Hmm you're right, I don't know what happened to the price. I'm looking at my online receipt (I bought from Amazon) and it was $239.00 + 8.95 shipping. Unit was brand new (not refurb) and is great. The XM ready means you can buy the XM antenna (which is really the XM radio + antenna) and plug and play to get XM (with subscription).

As for motorcycle ready, this is the unit BMW and HD used as factory (branded with their names of course) so I don't think you'll have an issue. As for an old model, that was the real selling point for me. For a roughly 600 dollar difference (at the price I got), I couldn't justify any of the new features of the Zumo. Sorry the price went up though. Good luck.

Should have added my original order was placed on March 11, 2009.

The upside on that 2820 is that it will fit into the existing cradle and most likely has the same powersupply as my current 2620. You have to squint a little but given the extras it comes with, the 2820 would be ideal for me.

If you happen to come across an offering such as you got in March, I'd appreciate if you can give me a heads-up. I will keep looking too.

Thanks

Archived