IGNORED

Stick a fork in me..............I'm done.

Laura

Yep, I've come to the end of my riding road. Last year I put the RT up for sale because I lost interest in riding and picked up interest in other things. I sold the RT last year and then had to retract the sale because I wasn't absolutely 100% sure I was done. Well, now I'm sure......I'm done. It's a year later and I've only put 336 miles on the RT and as pretty as it looks in the garage I have no desire to go for a ride. I can't say what happened. Actually nothing special happened that I can think of that caused me to lose my desire to ride. One day last year I just said I was done, or thought so, and as it turned out I am. I started riding in 1971 and all these years later and after many thousands of wonderful safe miles it's over.

I joined this forum in October of 2001 and it's been fun. I learned a lot, made some friends, and just enjoyed myself. I hope I have added something (at least once or twice) to this community.

If and when I sell the bike the money is going in a special bike fund. Someday I may want to ride again and the money will be a good head start on another bike.

Have fun my friends, ride safe, and smile under that helmet.

With no bike in the garage , you may miss not having one and just need something different. North Georgia riding is best with a light bike. Try a new 650 or 800 twin when you get the itch !

Hmmm .. sounds like you need to go NEW BIKE shopping. At least look at a few new, different, pretty models, and see if you still feel that way. Sometimes we all just get "in a rut". I know I don't ride as much as I could (being unemployed kinda saps the joy sometimes), but every time out, I'm glad I went when I return.

Enjoy life otherwise; there is (indeed!) more to life than riding.

Take care.

Scott

Only you can tell if you are done. Just in case you get the itch, Riders Hill, just north of Dahlonega, has not only a large stock of new and consignment sales, but also does rentals. Two hours on an Aprilia was the most fun I have had all summer. I fell in love with paddle shifters!

I still love your avatar.

:thumbsup:

+1

Hopefully, you'll still hang out from time to time. Situations change and maybe you'll be hankerin' for another go.

Well, okay. As long as we can still come up and stay at your place when we're riding in the North Ga mountains. You do have beers, right?

I got that way about sailing. It was just too much mess getting ready, the sailing wasn't as enjoyable, and the clean up was a pain. Don't know why; guess my limited attention span just went to other things.

Please do stay with us here and contribute. You've got enough seniority and knowledge to remain a valuable asset.

Once you have the bike bug, you will always have it. We will see you back soon with a new bike.

True statement...I sold many bikes saying it was the last for me.....Well I didn't go 6 months before another. Let's start the clock on her and see if she can make it that long!! :lurk:

I did very little riding the year after I rode to Alaska. But, three months after totalling a deer/motorcycle, I couldn't stand it any longer (I still had my Hawk, but I wanted a 2-up, long-distance bike).

johnhunter44

I had a friend who did the same thing and then he did not re-new his motorcycle DL. Now years later, he wishes he would have maintained his Motorcycle DL, but now will have to re-take the motorcycle driving test. Keep your motorcycle DL even though now you don't think you will ever need it. He sure wished he did.....

ShovelStrokeEd

Laura,

Sell your cage, not your bike. :/

The reason you are not riding is your are not riding.

You need to rediscover how much fun it is. Yeah, it is a PITA to gear up and head down to the store for a quart of milk, so much easier to just jump in the cage. Make that milk run into a 30 mile run up a twisty road to the next town and things get MUCH better.

As others have said, you may wish to go with a different kind of motorcycle. Either a light dual sport or a more sporting bike. Try an 1100S, they are cheap and easy to maintain and will have no trouble keeping you amused. Better yet, get a Triumph Speed Triple or Street Triple. More grins/mile than just about anything out there.

Laura,

Sell your cage, not your bike. :/

The reason you are not riding is your are not riding.

+1

I never replaced my last cage. That was two years ago.

I ride almost everyday and have never been happier.

I had a friend who did the same thing and then he did not re-new his motorcycle DL. Now years later, he wishes he would have maintained his Motorcycle DL, but now will have to re-take the motorcycle driving test. Keep your motorcycle DL even though now you don't think you will ever need it. He sure wished he did.....

Fortunately here in GA it is on the standard DL as an endorsement... thus when you renew your DL for the cages, if you have the motorcycle endorsement on the license, it gets renewed as well...

Hmmm... North GA eh... means I have to pester Laura for MAPS of the area and the best roads to ride on... )))

and who knows... maybe seeing my R1100RT on the road will change her mind... after all, hers is a newer bike... )))

Regards -

-Bob

If and when I sell the bike the money is going in a special bike fund. Someday I may want to ride again and the money will be a good head start on another bike.

HI Laura, :wave:

I'm glad you have given yourself that fund. As unexplainable as it may be to stop riding now, starting to ride again may be equally hard to explain. Of this I know.

I've always enjoyed your posts over the years and I look forward to you STILL posting. Don't be a stranger. Stay in touch.

PB

Hi Laura -- I understand, wish you well, and will miss your contributions. For me the dozen or so interests I've pursued most of my life have boiled off and are gone—some, for loss of interest, (golf, target shooting, car restoration, etc.) but most because of age. The stuff I loved to do just wasn't as much fun on the down slope (triathlons, 10K competition, and alpine skiing, downhill mountain biking, cross country mountain bike racing, back country back packing and so on--, although I’ve promised my son a trip to the Tetons or Winds in WY—yikes!

The funny thing for me is the stuff that I enjoy today is the same stuff that I started out with when I was a kid--cycling and motorcycling. Ok, I am definitely on the back 9 of cycling in terms of the distance I can ride and performance, but it still pumps me up spiritually and it still is fun and it doesn’t feel like exercise.

Motorcycling is still very special to me. I continue to grow in this area and it is not, at least so far, discounted by my age. And there are other things linked to motorcycling such as friendship, adventure, stimulus for the senses, discovery, and of course the ability to still scare myself…and did I mention friendship?

Laura, please come and visit anytime you feel like it and if you get the urge again to pilot a motorbike, just raise your hand; I am sure you’ll find several folks offering their bikes up for a ride.

Cheers!

I did that last year. I was busy with other activities and sold my K12LT because I was not riding it. It wasn't 20 miles down the road when I had major seller's remorse. But I'm loving my RT...

Hey, it happens that way sometimes. I had ridden bikes from my early teens to my mid 20s. Got out of bikes and into sailing...did that until I was 51. The wife and I followed the dream of pretty much every sailor I ever met....we sold our house, quit our jobs and moved aboard. After a year of living aboard and cruising the U.S. East Coast and FL, I realized...."Stick a fork in me....I'm done".

Now, I'm back into bikes and the wife has since gotten her MC license and her own bike. We're having fun riding but we're not taking it too seriously. If we want to ride, we ride...if not, we don't. Years of spending every free minute being on or working on a boat taught me to understand the saying "too much of a good thing can be a bad thing". I get asked a lot "Don't you miss sailing/living aboard?" to which I reply "There are a lot of things I miss about sailing and living aboard...owning a boat isn't one of them".

If you sell this bike, no matter what, someone, somewhere will always be willing to sell you another one.

For what it's worth,

Dan

If the desire is gone, for now, it makes sense to sell a depreciating asset. If the call of the road returns I look forward to reading your posts.

Best of luck.

Please pop on from time to time and give us update, or even, remain a regular contributor. You don't need to be riding to enjoy the community.

This is an interesting thread for me because I am wrestling with the very same issue. My desire to gear up and get on the bike has never been lower, and I am wondering if I will have any interest in another 6 months. I've never felt this way before, and I'm not sure why I have lost interest in riding (it may have a lot to do with not wanting to put myself out in LA traffic). While the temptation to sell my GT is there, I fear that if I do i will sorely regret it.

I have been considering the possibility that I am bored with my bike and that maybe it's time for something new, but that's a rather expensive experiment to undertake. I also keep hoping that all I need to get out of this funk is one epic ride, but that can't happen in the near future.

- Confused in Long Beach

Thanks everyone for your nice comments and your suggestions. I will definitely pop in from time to time to see what's going on. I will miss this community if I didn't.

The marketplace is flooded with used BMW's and so far I haven't had any inquiries from the few ads I have out there. I hope the RT will sell but maybe it won't. At least not as soon as I'd like.

What will be will be. The one thing that age has taught me is that everything happens for a reason although we don't see it right away.

I do know that if I get back into riding and I am still living here in curvy north Georgia I will get a lighter bike as some of you suggested. My husband's been saying the same thing.

Who knows what the future holds for me and riding? We'll see, we'll see.

PS: Glad some of you guys like my avatar!

I do know that if I get back into riding and I am still living here in curvy north Georgia I will get a lighter bike as some of you suggested. My husband's been saying the same thing.

Laura, whatever you do don't take a test ride on a new 650 Vee-strom. You might not be as "done" as you think you are.

Being able to leave (or return) on your own terms is always best. Best wishes to you, Laura, for whatever the future holds, riding or not.

Laura,

Happy trails to you. I hope you will check in on us all periodically and let us know what you are up to. Of course, if you decide to get a new bike we definitely will want to hear all about it.

And, if you ever find yourself in or around SLC let us know.

The problem is clearly evident; you need to move as far north as possible. To a place like Wisconsin where the weather makes it too hazardous to ride for several months in row, resulting in severe cabin and spring fever illnesses which can only be treated by a ride.

I agree about the lighter bike idea.

Well there’s still always 2-up’ing it, yes? It’s still riding! Donna (as my pillion) wouldn’t have it any other way!

Brilliant! I'm trying to persuade my wife to sell one of her 250's (she has ridden once since January this year), and setting aside the proceeds for an itchy day is a great idea. She's a great passenger, but just seems to have lost her enthusiasm for solo riding.

I'm speechless, and while many may thank you for that ;) I can't help but wonder about so many things reading your post.

While I would like to say do what is right for you, I really hope you change your mind.

Selfish of me, but I'm ready to read some ride tales from you guys.

I've enjoyed your contributions.

Best wishes.

Financially, it is best to sell sooner than later, but there is something about motorcycling that involves ones emotions on a really base level.

I don't know why, but my bikes brought up similar emotions to those that involve pets. It can be hard to make a fast or even medium speed move to sell. Part of the process may be just looking at it sitting there, for a long time. Longer than someone else thinks is necessary.

Is it tied to the same emotions of "having your life in your hands" and the thrill of riding? What is it about bikes that makes them so intimate. Call me nuts, but it's like having Trigger there in the garage. It's hard to pull the plug on him.

I'd put a call into a nearby doctor just to see if there has been a new pill designed for what you are feeling. If the big drug companies haven't formulated the exact chemical, maybe we can patent the name for the compound and call it "needtaride". Enjoy the break, but you'll be back.............same thing happened to me.

• 2 weeks later...

The RT now belongs to a guy named Jeff who is in love with it. I said good-bye to it today and I was hardly emotional at all so I knew I was making the right decision. Last October I felt very different, was very emotional and called the sale off. I needed more time to be sure. This time I felt sure and very differently.

That beautiful bike needs to be ridden. Jeff took off for the mountains immediately after the transaction was completed. I could see him smiling under his helmet.

I wished Jeff many happy miles and patted my trusty steed as she drove away. What's next for moi? I don't know. Time will tell.

Ya'll have fun now, ya hear?

I'll be back......well......probably.

What's next for moi? I don't know. Time will tell.

"We cross our bridges as we come to them and burn them behind us with nothing to mark our passing but the smell of smoke and the memory that once our eyes watered." T. Stoppard

You'll be 'membered.

Wooster who hopes to quit riding one day before the crash

"Wooster who hopes to quit riding one day before the crash"

Don't quit riding, just don't crash... :)

Laura, we'll miss you!

I started riding in 1968 and got tired of riding heavy bikes.

Simply put, I regained my enthusiasm for riding by getting a much lighter bike. In my case I went from an R1100RT to a F650GS Single.

Now I even enjoy riding my HD again.

Laura,

I know how this goes. I sold my K12S a few weeks ago and I don't miss it or riding at all. I can't say for sure what changed but it was a while in coming. I am not totally sure I am finished but the way I feel right now...well I am.

Todd

UPDATE:

Jeff and the bike came for a visit today. I forgot to give him a few items so I called him yesterday and he swung by today. The bike is happy, Jeff is happy and I'm happy. It's a win win win !! Oh, and he's named her BEATRIX (I'll bet she's finally glad to have a name. I had never named her...shame on me)

Riding is not for everyone. Those of us who have the bug, get it. Those who don't, I hope you enjoy other stuff.

Oh, I get it all right, I most certainly get it........I've gotten in for over 35 years. If you're lucky you'll get it for as long as I did or longer.

Thanks for sharing this experience. I think your head is in the same place your heart is.

I will never forget the day I stepped out of a race car and have never regretted it.

Wave sometime if you see me in the mountains. :thumbsup:

Laura,

Timing is everything in life and knowing when to hold em and when to fold em is critical. Congratulations on taking the time to be sure it was time to fold em.

If lust returns you've got a great husband who might just let you take a spin or two on his machines to check things out (again).

I still have you on my travel list for Atlanta and look forward to seeing you two there.

Don't be a stranger here.

Francis

Laura,

Timing is everything in life and knowing when to hold em and when to fold em is critical. Congratulations on taking the time to be sure it was time to fold em.

If lust returns you've got a great husband who might just let you take a spin or two on his machines to check things out (again).

I still have you on my travel list for Atlanta and look forward to seeing you two there.

Don't be a stranger here.

Francis

Hi Francis: Thank you for the support on my decision.

Come visit, definitely. I'll send you our new home phone number. We look forward to seeing you.

Archived