IGNORED

IBR Status

frenchwv

I can't get enough info on the Iron Butt Rally. I've read the updates every day so far. I was curious to know if anyone on this board knows what penalty George Barnes received at the 1st checkpoint? I'm itching to know, I was predicting he would win this thing.

Don't know what penalty though he was shown in the mid 50's after leg one. I do notice they have a Spot snapshot from 9am today on the IBA website now though. I've been anxious to get more info as things progress too.

DavidEBSmith

I was at the checkpoint and I missed what exactly happened to George, but, from the publicly released information, the difference between where he is and where the leaders are is right around the number of points for the Martha's Vineyard bonus.

I was at the checkpoint and I missed what exactly happened to George, but, from the publicly released information, the difference between where he is and where the leaders are is right around the number of points for the Martha's Vineyard bonus.

Good point. Maybe he missed a detail.

aggieengineer

That took a while. I wonder how many former BMW riders have switched to FJRs and ST1300s for that event. Maybe that's part of the equation. ;)

I know a couple of us were curious about George on here. I just checked out the rider bonuses:

http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2009/html/2.html

It looks like George only took a 100 point penalty for a missed fuel receipt. He had a strong second leg and I'm guessing he's riding hard right now. I had him pegged to win the whole thing, but Earls and Owen are puting up some unbelievable numbers. I'm sure George will finish strong. I've read his story of winning in 1999 a bunch of times. He's quite the methodical rider.

http://www.ironbuttrider.net/99IBR.htm

Archived