IGNORED

Scooter crash

motorman587

der Wanderer

John, thank you for sharing. I realize you may not have freedom to go into details, but is there something to learn from the circumstances?

Incidentally, as you all know, scooters were hugely popular in Europe in the 50ies. They had pretty much disappeared (leaving room for cars and motorcycles) prior to the recent revival.

My dad was riding motorcycles in the 50ies and 60ies. He told me one of the factors for scooters fall from grace was rising insurance rates driven by high accident rates - scooters as inherently less safe than motorcycles, etc. He told me of sitting position (legs joined) vs riding position, etc. Sounded like nice theories, but no supporting fact.

I am curious if there is any basis in fact supporting that - and if the same thing is repeating itself. I have looked for data but could not find anything conclusive. Does anyone know?

Of course, scooter riders typically are dressed as if they were driving a car. That can't help...

John Bentall
John, thank you for sharing. I realize you may not have freedom to go into details, but is there something to learn from the circumstances?

Incidentally, as you all know, scooters were hugely popular in Europe in the 50ies. They had pretty much disappeared (leaving room for cars and motorcycles) prior to the recent revival.

My dad was riding motorcycles in the 50ies and 60ies. He told me one of the factors for scooters fall from grace was rising insurance rates driven by high accident rates - scooters as inherently less safe than motorcycles, etc. He told me of sitting position (legs joined) vs riding position, etc. Sounded like nice theories, but no supporting fact.

I would have thought a small wheeled scooter, 125cc engine etc with a designed max speed of 60 mph is as inherently safe being driven at 60 mph as a BMW K1300S being driven at 170mph. Is accident rate not more to do with the average skill levels of scooter riders (and their usual riding environment)compared to, say, K1300S riders?

I am curious if there is any basis in fact supporting that - and if the same thing is repeating itself. I have looked for data but could not find anything conclusive. Does anyone know?

Of course, scooter riders typically are dressed as if they were driving a car. That can't help...

Agreed, most scooters are used as commuter vehicles.

Interesting that it was man struck by car and not scooter struck by car or man struck by man. Those cars just have a will of their own. Kinda like man shot by gun instead of man shot by man using a gun.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Interesting that it was man struck by car and not scooter struck by car or man struck by man. Those cars just have a will of their own. Kinda like man shot by gun instead of man shot by man using a gun.

In writing a headline the goal is not to assign/absolve responsibilities to particular agents in the event, but to convey the general substance of what happened in as few words as possible. For a headline to simply say "Man Struck by Man Dies" is not particularly descriptive of the calamity involved; one is left wondering whether the victim was punched, kicked, or head-butted. Neither is "Scooter Struck By Car Stops Running." "Man Struck By Car Dies" is still appropriately brief for a headline, but gives a more meaningful picture of what happened. We have the word "motorcyclist" for someone astride a motorcycle, but "scooterist" is not in common use for someone riding a scooter; thus, it's difficult to convey the fact that the victim was astride a scooter without having the headline become excessively wordy.

Along the same lines, for a headline to say "Man Shot By Gun Dies" conveys less information than it could, so writers typically add a bit more than that: "Man shot during robbery..." or "Man shot while cleaning gun..." or something like that.

In either case, if one wants more details about the incident, it's expected that they can/would turn to the full text of the article.

I am struck by the phrasing that the scooter impacted the car?

Was the car parked and the scooter ran into it?

Or was the scooter rider hit by the car as it was moving.

Needless to say whatever the actual scenario, I appreciate the position you are put in when you come upon these situations and are required to comfort, restrain and maintain an accident scene.

TNX

John,

Saw this in the paper this morning at 4:30.

Glad someone w/your experience was there for the families.

This is why I posted what I did in the other thread.

This incident will have a great impact on all involved, including the responders.

Thanks.

Me thinks the term "motorized scooter" does not mean the Vespa's we fondly remember from the 60's.

I am guessing it was a non-street legal "pocket bike" based on the photographs depicting the vehicle and/or victim trapped underneath the front of the Grand Cherokee.

I am also guessing the rider is at fault for failing to yield to the right of way to the Cherokee.

Any confirmation of that John?

Archived