IGNORED

OK. Stupid Question. What is an Unrally?

FLrider

Joe Frickin' Friday

The first BMWST Unrally happened in 2002 in Gunnison, Colorado. During the planning phase, a deliberate decision was made to keep it very casual, unorganized, and free of vendors and other commercial interests. This is in stark contrast to traditional motorcycle rallies like the annual MOA rally, and so the decision was made to call it an "Un" rally.

The typical Unrally format that's evolved since then involves an organized group dinner one night, an organized group breakfast one morning, and accomodations (hotel and/or campground) at one central location. Attendees receive a few souvenir items (typically a T-shirt and commemorative decal). No vendors are present. There is no beer tent. There is no live music in the evenings, unless someone happens to bring a pan flute or an accordion. There are no organized group rides. Organizers often provide suggested routes that people can ride at their own pace and on their own schedule, either as individuals or in groups of their own choosing.

I gather you missed this UnRally. If you're a glutton for distance, next year's UnRally is slated to be somewhere in the Sierra Nevada mountain range in July, with exact dates and location to be officially announced sometime in the coming months. If that's too far, well, keep an eye on 2011, when it's likely to move toward the east again. :thumbsup:

My bet says 2012, 10th anniversary in Alaska... :wave:

We'll see who has the "cajones" to make the trip. :grin:

I'm startin' a campaign right now. ;)

Ya see, if'n nuff of us want it, it could happen.

MB>

We were advised in NH that next year's UnRally would be 12-16 July 2010 (in the Sierra Nevadas).

Bummer, at the same times as the MOA Rally. :dopeslap:

I suspect it's an acronym for something but, beats me.

An UN Rally is where you go to renew old friendships, make some new ones, ride good rides, eat good food and drink good drinks.

Paul Mihalka
We were advised in NH that next year's UnRally would be 12-16 July 2010 (in the Sierra Nevadas).

Bummer, at the same times as the MOA Rally. :dopeslap:

UNrallies are mid-week, many people leave on Thursday. I think the MOA rally is at the end of that week, in Redmond OR. With a bit of planning you might do both in one trip.

UNrallies are mid-week, many people leave on Thursday. I think the MOA rally is at the end of that week, in Redmond OR. With a bit of planning you might do both in one trip.

The UNorganizers were saying that the trip to OR for the MOA would be about a days ride if you wanted to miss one day of UNfun or one day of MOA nonUN...

I'm thinking of kill both those birds with one stone next year.

Sounds like the same plan that Susan and I are working on. Some travel prior to and on the way to the Unrally. Then a day trip from the UN to the MOA. More neat stuff on the way home. Should be great.

... a deliberate decision was made to keep it very casual, unorganized, free of vendors and other commercial interests.... so the decision was made to call it an "Un" rally.

There is no beer tent.

Hughh?! Roh Beer ?! ( In my best Scooby impression )

What kind of Rally is that? Oh. I see.

Well, thanks for the explanation.

Actually, I don't drink and I choose not to ride with guys that do. Long Story.

Is kinda far for a Florida boy. I figure 3 days out, a few days there, 3 days back, a few days to recover.

Just out of curiosity, since I'm new to this whole BMW thing, how is the BMW MOA or whatever, different? Is IT the opposite of what the UNrally is?

MOA rally: Lot's of (BMW-specific) vendors, 10,000 people, competitions, contests, beer-tents to purchase beer at, some riding, lots of walking around. People from around the world and around the country, 95% BMW riders.

UNRally: No vendors, ~100 people, no competitions, no contests, BYOB, lots of riding, little walking around. Tent or motel, you can always get a room somewhere. People from all over N.A. (and sometimes elsewhere), 95% BMW riders.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Hughh?! Roh Beer ?! ( In my best Scooby impression )

What kind of Rally is that? Oh. I see.

Well, thanks for the explanation.

Actually, I don't drink and I choose not to ride with guys that do. Long Story.

Didn't say there was no beer, just no organized beer-vendor tent. There's almost always beer at the hotel/campground at the end of the day, though I don't think you'll find many (if any) of us who imbibe before we're done riding for the day.

I like the Unrally idea. With over 20 years of riding Harleys and doing all those events (Sturgis, Daytona, etc., ) I've had about all I can take of crowds, vendors and drunks.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I like the Unrally idea. With over 20 years of riding Harleys and doing all those events (Sturgis, Daytona, etc., ) I've had about all I can take of crowds, vendors and drunks.

This was the entire crowd at the most recent Un:

626193818_qm2kA-L.jpg

MOA rally? Last one I remember attending, the tally was something like 6,000 visitors. Sturgis? IIRC, something like tens of thousands.

Unrally? About a hundred. :thumbsup:

If you're looking for something closer/sooner, check Ride/Event Planning for the Blue Ridge Rendezvous. Southern Kentucky, early October. Even fewer people, typically 50-75 attendees.

CoarsegoldKid
My bet says 2012, 10th anniversary in Alaska... :wave:

Ya see, if'n nuff of us want it, it could happen.

MB>

Build it and they will come.

Also, the UNRally is specific to members of this site (or their close friends). It is in no way connected to / sanctioned or supported by BMW itself. It is a 100% volunteer effort; each year’s team is free to make the event whatever they wish. So no two are ever the same!

It is a 100% volunteer effort; each year’s team is free to make the event whatever they wish. So no two are ever the same!

This is one of the things I found most appealing this year...

Paul and crew did a real down home New England thing for those of us who've not been there. Fulfilled our stereotypes of clam bakes and moose and gave us lots to talk about. They were great hosts and real ambassadors of the area they call home.

I went to the UN in WV a few years ago. IMHO, it was well worth the trip if only to put faces with names or handles (and avatars).

Had it not been for wanting to experience at least one MOA (just cuz), I prolly would have gone to NH. Not that I didn't enjoy the MOA... but that is really, what it is...a huge buttload of people. (good thing nearly all of them ride relatively quiet bikes). Just the thought of thousands of bikes with loud pipes...makes my head want to start hurting :eek:

Despite the thousands at the MOA, I still managed to meet and spend time with some of the fellow board members that were also present at the MOA (you know who you are). Good times, hearing the stories of epic journeys over some darkstar porter... made my 1st MOA experience that much more enjoyable.

Having experienced both, I can say that they are not even close to being comparable. Night and day, apples and oranges, (you get the idea).

At my first (and only) UN. I met a bunch of folks that were there to see their friends and meet new ones. It really didn't matter much that I didn't know many people by the end, I had new friends and countless "if you are ever in my neck of the woods invitations". Thats cool.

At the MOA, SOoo many people... sure, I met some folks but I can't say that I walked away with new friends...

All of this to say that, I missed seeing/hanging out and meeting many more new friends. :dopeslap:

I heard the rumor about the next UN in the sierras.... I'm juiced! I can't wait. Don't think I'm gonna miss that one!

Having experienced both, I can say that they are not even close to being comparable. Night and day, apples and oranges, (you get the idea).

At my first (and only) UN. I met a bunch of folks that were there to see their friends and meet new ones. It really didn't matter much that I didn't know many people by the end, I had new friends and countless "if you are ever in my neck of the woods invitations". Thats cool.

At the MOA, SOoo many people... sure, I met some folks but I can't say that I walked away with new friends...

All of this to say that, I missed seeing/hanging out and meeting many more new friends. :dopeslap:

I heard the rumor about the next UN in the sierras.... I'm juiced! I can't wait. Don't think I'm gonna miss that one!

Hi Angel! :wave:

That's a perfect summation of the main difference between the BMW MOA "Rally" and our BMWST.com "UnRally". But I have to submit that your experience at the UnRally is also largely because you're exactly the sort of person who's drawn to an UnRally--just like most of the rest of us here. :thumbsup:

You're lucky to have a great "Pie Town Crew" there in TX to ride with regularly. Our "Dry Town Crew" in San Diego is down to a half a dozen or so (though we just recently added a newbie or two). Most of us have to ride a day or more to get to hang with like-minded folks.

I went to my first (and only) MOA Rally in Spokane, WA after the UnRALLY III in Cody, WY in 2004. It was certainly very interesting to see the huge crowds and the tents of M/C related vendors, but in the end it was just a sea of humanity that had no real attachment for me. Different strokes, I suppose . . . but there is something to be said for the unique spirit of the folks who continue to hang out here. The MOA Rally was mostly about the spectacle, whereas the UnRally was mostly about the PEOPLE--who became yet better FRIENDS . . . and of course the RIDING. The ability to experience a "live version" of this site combined with sharing riding in some of the continent's most awesome spots is beyond compare! :clap:

Besides, if you haven't ridden in the Sierra's yet you don't know what you're missing!!! Living only a day's ride away, we've ridden them MANY times . . . and yet we're still JUICED to get to share it with the rest of you!!!!! :clap::thumbsup::Cool::clap:

Angel, Good seeing ya at MOA to bad you couldn't make UN. If you want to put names/avatars with faces you got to check out Roy Temples Picasa page. Hope to see you on the left coast.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived