IGNORED

Damn cylinderprotektors

thenok

Her we go!

Installed the cylinder protectors today. What bastards, they have made them a hell to fitt. The german accuracy most have been far from pressent when they made those!!!!!!!

Or is it just me confused.gif that is amateur mekanic?

The initial fitting is hard but after that they seem to conform to the right shape. They're much easier to refit once they've been there a bit.

thenok,

You're right about the cylinder protectors being difficult. As a consolation, they are only difficult the first time. After they've had a chance to get warm on the valve covers, they expand and then they are easy to take on and off. I realized when I put mine on the first time that I should have invited a few friends over so they could help me with a couple holding the bike up so it wouldn't fall over, one or two friends on the ground applying pressure to the protector,me to put in the fasteners, making sure they don't crossthread, and at least one to go get beer as needed. thumbsup.gif

Mike

Didn't check your profile to see what bike you have, but I'd suggest putting the bottom screw in first, leave it loose while installing the front and rear screws. Then snug up all 3. The others comments are correct, from now on it will be easier. Hope its not a Thomas thing!

After they've had a chance to get warm on the valve covers, they expand and then they are easy to take on and off.

I've never fitted new cylinder head protectors, so I haven't tried this. But would it help to pre-warm and pre-stretch them before fitting them? For example by putting them in hot water? I know it helps when inserting fittings into alkathene pipe.

Her we go!

Installed the cylinder protectors today. What bastards, they have made them a hell to fitt. The german accuracy most have been far from pressent when they made those!!!!!!!

Or is it just me confused.gif that is amateur mekanic?

There's a secret society associated with the valve cover guards. IF you're fortunate enough to be invited to join you will not only learn the secret of installing the guards in minutes but also the nifty secret handshake. I'm a founding member of the society and can install them blindfolded. tongue.gif

There's a secret society associated with the valve cover guards. IF you're fortunate enough to be invited to join you will not only learn the secret of installing the guards in minutes but also the nifty secret handshake. I'm a founding member of the society and can install them blindfolded. tongue.gif

Hey how do I get into this society? Also, I am willing to go out and get the beer if you bring the crew to Vancouver to install mine.(Besides, everyone knows our Canadian beer is superiour to yours, which is like making love in a canoe (#$% close to water . . .) Bought mine a week ago and pretty successful at avoiding all week and this thread doesn't help . . . wink.gif

Now I see why the quoted price from the dealer was exceeded when I had them do the install... I pointed out that I was given an estimate, and had just bought the bike, so it worked out as they dropped the price... Since the bike was so new I was not ready to tinker just yet... That has since changed...

Archived