IGNORED

1200RT Rear Shock Failure - Warranty Issue?

Riobeemer

Service advisor informed me that the rear shock on my

07 RT with 27K miles has failed & needs replacement, an ~$800 repair. He said it's not covered by warranty, as it's a 'wear item'. The warranty manual does not exclude shocks as wear items. Does anybody have experience with warranty replacement of shocks within the warranty period?

My guess is that with 27K, you won't win the case. If you post here and ADVrider that you'd like to buy a rear shock, you will probably get a response because many folks put on aftermarket shocks and still have their OEM shocks sitting on the shelf.

A shock failure during the warranty period should definitely be covered. I've had this happen on a few vehicles (although not BMW) and it was always covered without question. If they are not specifically excluded then they should be covered on your bike as well.

A shock failure during the warranty period should definitely be covered. I've had this happen on a few vehicles (although not BMW) and it was always covered without question. If they are not specifically excluded then they should be covered on your bike as well.

I thought shocks, brakes, tires and all fluids were considered wear items... same with light bulbs...

Regards -

-Bob

I thought shocks, brakes, tires and all fluids were considered wear items... same with light bulbs...

Things like brake or clutch linings are often specifically excluded, but just about anything on the vehicle could be considered a 'wear item' and the fact that a part can wear does not exclude it from warranty. One of the purposes of a warranty is to provide coverage for parts that wear out too soon ('too soon' being defined as within the warranty period.) Piston rings are definitely a 'wear item' on any vehicle, so are the water pump and alternator and crankshaft bearings along with a bazillion other parts, but of course these items would all be covered. So are all seals, so why would a seal be excluded simply because it is on a shock absorber?

Bottom line, what does the warranty say? With a motor vehicle normally anything not specifically excluded is covered.

Read your consumer warranty information book which came with the bike. Unless it specifically says the shocks under service and wear items or it specifically says they are not covered for the 3 year 36k period the shock should be replaced under warranty. I always thought shocks were "wear" items but I just looked at my warranty booklet. They were not in 2005. Read that book. If your bike is in the 3 year 36k period and the shocks are not mentioned in the book then BMW must warranty the shock. If they refuse, sue them. Best of luck to you.

From an '07 RT:

This warranty does not apply to the following:

Service and wear items: This includes, cut (sic) is not limited to, the replacement of light bulbs, brake pads, linings and rotor assemblies, clutch plates, steering head, wheel and swing arm bearings and ball joints, fuses, control cables, poly V-belt replacement, exhaust pipes and mufflers for discoloration of finish and rubber items such as hand grips heated hand grips, foot rests, foot shift and control cable shields.

It depends on what is meant by 'failure'. On my 1150RT I got a new shock under warranty at 15K miles because the old one blew a seal and was leaking. I was told that if it had just lost damping/spring it would not be covered due to wear.

Andy

That's a good point, if one's complaint is simply that 'my shock is worn out' then that would be difficult to prove if for no other reason than no objective standard exists to verify such a claim. But I was assuming that the OP meant a clear failure such as a leak..(?)

Riobeemer, I just looked through my 09 warranty coverage & nothing stated that shocks are NOT covered.. There are a lot of wear items that are not covered & mentioned specifically.. But the shocks are not mentioned (at least that could find) ..

Also look at your state’s warranty laws as some states do not (or did not in the past anyhow) allow exceptions to warranty coverage..

Go back to your dealer & have them show you in writing where the shocks are specifically not covered.. If they can’t or still give you the run around get it in writing from them that your shocks are specifically not covered by warranty (& have a dealer person sign it).. Then contact your states attorney general about how to proceed..

Be glad you don’t own a BMW G450 as they specifically state the pistons & crankshaft are not covered.. (they must have a lot of faith in that engine)

Twisty

Not sure if this applies, but my '06RT OEM rear ESA shock ($1,760 for the part) was replaced under warranty at 20,000 miles because the ESA preload would not change - apparently a communication problem with the shock.

Tom

Archived