IGNORED

fuel filter change.

Heyfrank

I am changing out my fuel filter and the crimp clamps to the vent hose and the filter were not that tight. I am changing to the screw type but Napa and three other stores do not have injector stainless type just regular stainless and carbon steel and galvanized. Am I better off with stainless regular hose or carbon/gal injector clamps? The other question I had is I did not clamp off vent lines. Does it matter? Thanks

Use the fuel injection type, not a worm clamp. They don't need to be stainless.

As for the vent lines, I'm assuming that you meant you just slid the hoses over the nipples and didn't use any clamps prior to re-installing.

You may find that this will lead to a small fuel leak. I've removed my canister and when I didn't get the clamp on tightly, I would have a small aount of fuel get into the line that use to go to the canister. In my case it just dripped a few drops onto the ground/floor on the right side of the bike where the hose ends. So the bottom line is yes, it can matter.

It doesn't take much clamping force. The small spring type like those found here are good. Click on Hose and Tube clamps.

Thanks eddd. On the vent lines the manuel says to clamp off the vent lines before undoing the hose. I did not so I was thinking why did They want that done. I will put back the clamps to reinstall.Just thinking maybe they are afraid of gas getting in and then making its way to the canister? Also did you change out the Big o ring? mine seems to still fit .

Thanks eddd. On the vent lines the manuel says to clamp off the vent lines before undoing the hose. I did not so I was thinking why did They want that done. I will put back the clamps to reinstall.Just thinking maybe they are afraid of gas getting in and then making its way to the canister?

I'd never seen that (the part about clamping off before removing), but the idea that you could get fuel into the canister line is a possiblity.

Ok I was just checking because like on the oil change the metal washer does not need to change even so they recommend it. Thanks for your help.

Re: the vent lines. I just used a zip tie on my vent lines inside the gas tank because of the lack of maneuvering room. The lines are not under pressure, but will slip off if not secured.

Thanks for the zip tie tip. I'm going to wait for fall Atlanta tech day before tackling this. I have all the parts in a big plastic bag, to which I will now add some small zip ties.

As for the O ring. I suggest you change it. They can swell slightly, and you may not get a good seal.
I did my filter recently, I took the large O ring and laid it out in the sun for a couple of hours to soften and dry it out. I then reused it. I added one gallon of gas to the tank when everything was closed up. It leaked a few drips initially, then the gasket swelled into place. No further leaking since.
As for the O ring. I suggest you change it. They can swell slightly, and you may not get a good seal.
I did my filter recently, I took the large O ring and laid it out in the sun for a couple of hours to soften and dry it out. I then reused it. I added one gallon of gas to the tank when everything was closed up. It leaked a few drips initially, then the gasket swelled into place. No further leaking since.

I have two of these seals. One fitted to the bike and one drying out ready for the next filter change.

Andy

what size are the vent lines?? so i can locate the FI clamps for them.

Also what size is the main fuel line on the filter? from the parts fiche it looks like bmw replacements are FI clamps, is that what they supply if i order them?

thanks

I used 13mm for both. that is made for the fuel filter but I thought might be to big for the vent lined. I crunched the clamps down and checked for tightness, it is not going anywhere. I did cut the screw down when checking for fit . I also re turned the clamp on the outside vent because the nut part was to close to the side. Then it went down fine.In 4 places I went none had smaller clamps. Its tighter now than is was before that lasted 35,000 mi.

Archived