IGNORED

Proper fluids (etc.) disposal....

elkroeger

Short of pouring it on my neighbor's lawn... and other, shall we say "creative uses":

How do I "properly" dispose of my used automotive fluids and parts? Particularly, I need to get rid of brake fluid. Do I just take it to the oil recycler with (or mixed into) my used motor oil?

What about other stuff? My oil recycler takes filters too. And the tire shop takes care of those. I've always been told that antifreeze goes in the sewer (is that right?). Anything else off my bike or car that needs special disposal care? How about the 2cycle gas that's gone bad in my shed?

Your local government should have a household hazardous waste collection program. In our area it's operated by the fire dept. You should dispose of brake fluid there.

If you are connected to city sewer most jurisdictions allow household quantities of antifreeze to go down the drain. Depending on treatment technology, most wastewater treatment plants can handle limited quantities of antifreeze.

I think there are several options for the fuel. If I have a small quantity of old fuel I usually put it in one of the cages just after a fill-up. I don't know about 2-cycle though... I think if the local gas station would let you put in the big tank that would be cool, or take it to the household haz waste program, or dilute it with some fresh 2-cycle fuel and use it.

Some good questions. I am not clear as to how environmentally unfriendly brake fluid is. It is water-soluble, and the volume I have to dispose of is small, so I usually just put it in a trash bag with the household refuse. Oil/lubes and filters are easy to recycle at Wal-Mart and many auto parts stores. I have been pouring anti-freeze down the drain, but don't know how well my septic tank likes it. The government-run toxic waste disposal programs are helpful if they are conveniently located and operate often enough.

Jay

Googling around it appears that some oil recycling programs permit brake fluid to be disposed of along with or mixed with waste oil and some do not so I guess you should check locally. As far as I am aware most municiplaities prohibit discharge of antifreeze into the sewer system but many local recycling centers will take it, as will many waste oil collection points. Whatever you do do not pour it out where animals can get to it because it has a sweet taste and is extremely poisonous.

How do I "properly" dispose of my used automotive fluids and parts? Particularly, I need to get rid of brake fluid. Do I just take it to the oil recycler with (or mixed into) my used motor oil?

Around here, Autozone takes a number of the various fluids - give them a call to determine how they want the fluids mixed/not mixed, etc... they are typically pretty decent about providing answers...

or... call any of your local quick oil/lube places that also replace filters and what not as to what they do with their consumables... explain that you ride a bike and would like to do something with the replaced consumables and they may take care of them for you...

Regards -

-Bob

Archived