IGNORED

Headlight lens - can you clean the inside?

jskene

I noticed that my headlight lens is quite dirty on the inside.

Does anyone know if this can be disassembled to clean it, or do I have to stick a coat hanger and piece of cloth in there?

Well, it's not meant to be disassembled, but you could if you put your mind to it, I guess.

I'd try the coat hanger first, but my question is: Why is it getting dirty to begin with? Is the rear cap secured properly? You shouldn't get any dirt in there. Good luck.

I noticed that my headlight lens is quite dirty on the inside.

Does anyone know if this can be disassembled to clean it, or do I have to stick a coat hanger and piece of cloth in there?

Stick a coathanger in? You can't be serious!

These headlamps can be disassembled, usually by releasing metal clips. But cleaning the reflector and glass requires more than just shoving a stick in there (well, so I exaggerate slightly!).

The mirror is extremely sensitive to fingerprints, and abrasive dirt.

Use a lint-free soft cloth (NOT PAPER TOWELS!!) and 99% isopropyl alcohol (available at drug stores). DO NOT SUBSTITUTE WITH ANY OTHER SOLVENT! Many newer assemblies are made of polycarbonate (lexan) that is EXTREMELY solvent sensitive! Isopropyl alcohol is also called IPA, Isopropanol, and was once called "rubbing alcohol".

While it is apart, also carefully clean the rubber gasket with the alcohol as well as the area it seats on, to enure it seals properly when assembled.

Clean lightly with little pressure, and let the alcohol dissolve the garm, instead of rubbing hard.

Also, remember not to tough the bulb with bare fingers! Any oils you leave behind will get burned into the bulb. If in doubt, wipe the bulb clean with the above-mentioned alcohol.

Bob.

I am pretty sure that my headlight lens is glued to the reflector, although I have yet to take it out to see. This is why I may need to stick something in it to clean it.

I have used a coat hanger quite effectively in the past. I wrap a piece of soft cloth around the end, bend it to fit the particular section I need to clean next, dampen it with alcohol, and rub it on the lens.

You are correct that you should not touch the reflector, as this is usually manufactured by vapor deposition on a plastic shell. It is often very thin as well as soft, and is easily scratched.

Archived