IGNORED

Wunderlich Performance Chip

Chuck U Farley

Chuck U Farley

Has anyone here had experience with the Wunderlich Performance Chip DLB26? I'm in the process of doing a performance makeover on an 04' RT (cams,heads,exhaust header,cat eliminator, racing muffler) and have heard some good things on other websites about the chip.

Any feedback good or bad will be welcomed.

... I'm in the process of doing a performance makeover on an 04' RT (cams,heads,exhaust header,cat eliminator, racing muffler) and have heard some good things on other websites about the chip.....

Chuck, I think many of us will be more interested in YOUR feedback!

Quite a few folk have tried turning this boxer engine into something it wasn't designed tp be..with varying results.

If you get significant performance improvements (Dyno and stopwatch ascertainable - not seat of the pants [sadly it seems that the seat of most peoples pants have got ears in them, so as soon as the exhaust is louder their backsides assume thier bike is faster]).

Best wishes.

Andy

My question is why do this to an RT? You'll still have a 650 pound touring machine. I can see getting all you can out of a BMW but I think I would get a lighter model, maybe an S, R or RS.

Chuck U Farley

The RT is the platform that I currently have available for this project. While I agree that horsepower to weight ratio favors a R, RS. or S model something about an RT with 108 RWHP appeals to me. I will be posting as the project progresses.

Cheers

Has anyone here had experience with the Wunderlich Performance Chip DLB26? I'm in the process of doing a performance makeover on an 04' RT (cams,heads,exhaust header,cat eliminator, racing muffler) and have heard some good things on other websites about the chip.

Any feedback good or bad will be welcomed.

Chuck, for what you are doing (cams,heads,exhaust header,cat eliminator, racing muffler),, etc you will probably need a custom programmed performance chip as Wunderlich couldn’t possibly have built that chip for your exact application..

You can always go with a programmable Power Commander to get your fueling right where you want it but that still leaves a spark programming issue.. Spark timing usually needs a lot of custom work when you add compression & hotter cams..

My Harley has more compression,, head work,, big cam,, tuned exhaust & with some fueling control work I could get pretty good power out of the engine but it took a FULLY programmable spark control module & a LOT of work on my part to get the power & still keep the engine somewhat smooth & responsive during normal riding & in the lower RPM ranges where the long duration cam really caused reversion & compression issues..

Twisty

something about an RT with 108 RWHP appeals to me.

I'm all for doing what floats your boat, but BMW has 110 in the new RT, at the flywheel. It's a 1200. The most HP I think they've wrung out of a boxer is 128, at the flywheel, in the new HP2 sport, also a 1200.

Isn't 20% about typical for drivetrain loss? If so, you are claiming that by swapping a few parts and massaging the heads you're going to match the factory's best efforts on the larger displacement boxer? Or did you mean bhp, as opposed to rwhp?

Fugu, SJBMW was able to get over 140 hp at the rear wheel on their HP2Sport. I've heard the hp loss from chain drive is now closer to 9% and our shaft drive loss is close to 15%.

I agree, for practical purposes, our oilheads are max'd out. For rideability. But if someone wants to shorten the life, push the engine to the max, additional hp is there. But like the saying goes, you can spend thousands and still have a showroom stock 600 sportbike eat you for breakfast. Well, maybe the HP2Sport would hang with one, but that's not your everyday BMW.

Archived