IGNORED

Grinding in rear end.

Smoky

This past few days we have been exploring the PNW on our 2001 R1100RT.

We were in Mt. Rainier National Forest, had just pulled back on the road after taking some pics. Was in a slow tight bend, and something scraped, I was surprised, as I didn't think we would have bottomed on such a gentle dip. But a continuos grinding-scraping noice followed us into the next few curves.

Visions of rear-end failure danced in my head. And we are a long way from anywhere.

It was worse when the suspension was working. I stopped and walked the bike a bit, and it wasn't doing anything strange.

\

Took off again, and it was soon back, but not as loud. Found a level spot and got it up on the centre stand, and took the bags off. Both wheels roll smoothly, no side-to-side play, put it in gear, and ran it in 1st and 2nd gear with the wheel spinning, no noise.

Head down the hill, and are soon back to normal speeds, do another 1000 miles with no problems or strange sounds.

Could I have picked up a rock or stone in the brakes or suspension?

Any ideas on my mystery sound?

Should I just to guy a new R1200RT??? I suggested this to the wife, the bruise looks like it will be gone in a few days.

Brakes have a way of picking up debris and making a horrible noise. My guess is you have it right. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

From my un-scientific observations, my impression is the LT's have more rear end problems than the RT's. That said, they're both reliable machines, and rear end failure is definitely the exception.

You passed the test I would use, by riding another 1000 miles with no noises. In addition, no looseness of the rear bearings is another good sign. Trust your steed and continue on. If you think it's a POS and about to fall apart, I'll be glad to take it off your hands for a bargain price, as is. (LOL)

When my final drive failed, the allen head capscrews that bolted the disc to the wheel were hitting the bracket for the brake caliper. This was an 1150, but sumpin is hitting sumpin.....I believe your crown bearing isn't anymore. Good Luck!

Few months ago we were riding in the Sierras. Went out to dinner from our motel in Sonora, CA. No luggage just two up with my wife. All of a sudden a horrible grinding noise came from the rear end. Right away I taught it is the crown bearing. Got back to the motel late, it was dark all ready. So the next morning I wanted to take a close look at the problem. Turning the wheel by hand, getting some grinding noise. So I started to remove the wheel, and noticed a piece of gravel between the disk and the rear drive housing. Removed the caliper, took the disc off and cleaned out the ground up pieces of rocks. The only problem I had 2K miles later, that the small ground up pieces of rocks damaged the oil seal, and it started leaking, which I recently replaced.

Far as how the rock get in their is a mystery, there is just one place, at the back end of the caliper, where it could have fallen in. Something like this to happen must be one in a million, like winning the lottery.

R 1100 RT, Shoreline, WA Micky

Archived