IGNORED

5th Annual West Michigan Tech Daze September 26th (New & Improved!)

Nevets

All;

The 5th Annual West MI Tech Daze is scheduled for September 26th. We'll be posting some additional information very soon, but be aware we have a NEW LOCATION and a new host!!! I know you'll enjoy the changes.

:thumbsup:

We are seeking "technical brains/muscle" to help with the tough questions. Let us know if you can help in that area please.

Please feel free to post your intentions and spread the word!

Stay tuned....

Steve (Nevets) Petersen

The B.R.R. is the following weekend and I'm hoping to take "the long way there" so I may be on the road the weekend of the 26th.

If not, count my muscles and brains in.

I am the sucker that will be hosting the Tech Daze, but very glad to do it.

The Tech Day will take place at my business, Black Swamp Percussion. What the heck is that? We manufacture concert and orchestral percussion musical instruments. We have an 11,000 sq ft manufacturing facility with plenty of room for bikes. There is a large parking lot out back too. People will be free to use the tools we have, plus we have compressed air, and a variety of metalworking equipment like saws, buffers, grinders, a lathe, plus a wire welder. If someone has it in the their brain to make some custom gizmo for their bike this will be the place to do it. We do have some scrap metal like aluminum bar stock, rod, etc. that you can freely use. We have plenty of large fans for TB syncs.

The business name is Black Swamp Percussion and the offices face James St. However, riders will want to come north off of Business 196 (locally known as Chicago Drive) onto 112th Ave. You will cross some tracks and be approaching a light. You will want to turn into the driveway on the right (east) side of the road right next to Fastenal and before you get to the light. We'll put up a BMW Tech Daze sign at both the office parking lot (on James St.) and on the driveway that leads to the back of the building (on 112th).

Address is:

Black Swamp Percussion

11114 James St.

Zeeland, MI 49464

R.S.V.P.'s are very helpful to plan for space, food, etc. You can do that by emailing me, Eric Sooy, at esooy@blackswamp.com. Putting something like "BMW Tech Day" in the subject line is helpful for me to find your email in my obscenely full inbox.

Here is a map to the location and a few shots of our digs:

shop1.jpg

shop2.jpg

shop3.jpg

mapto11114jamesst.jpg

I have a new in the box cylinder head cover, a complete service manual and a couple of new oil filters I will part with for moderate fees if anyone attending is interested. I changed bikes and this is for the previous 1150. Head cover is left side with gaskets. Let me know if you will be there and are interested. Either pm or email at jandd@core.com I check the email more often.

Another update:

I will have a tire changing setup here as I am buying Godfather's setup that is complete with Mitch's Mojo blocks and lever. Leave the guns, but bring your tires.

Does anyone who is planning on coming have a Twinmax that can be used for TB sync people?

Joe Frickin' Friday

My vacation plans have been finally settled, and so I WILL be available for the Tech Daze. :thumbsup:

Will show up with tools and a brain; if you guys have coffee there, things will be OK. :)

Very cool Mitch!

I talked with Blane at BMW Grand Rapids today and he's going to put something up on their website.

And I am just now celebrating having successfully pulled everything down to the cylinder heads to fix an oil leak and buttoning it back up. AND IT STARTS! Will wait until tomorrow to run her so the silly-scone can cure.

Brother Rob turned me onto your tech daze. If you won't mind some Italian trash (01 S4 Monster) :Cool: I'd like to come by. FWIW, I plan to have another 1100/1150RT next spring.

I have never been to one of these Tech Daze but am planning to attend as an observer/helper. My plan would be to ride to the Tech Daze from Macomb, Mi. the morning of the event, a 3 plus hour ride. What time do things start to happen? When do things generally wrap up?

Thanks in advance.

Italian monsters are welcome. Has an engine right?

Pokorskij - I've never actually been to one (nor hosted obviously) but Nevets (Steve P.) has hosted it for the last 4 years. He says some guys show up as early as 8:30 - 9 which is fine with me. I will need to have things wrapped up by 5 or so because I have an evening concert I need to play in.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I have plenty of experience working on oilheads, but rather little working on hexheads. Most of that basic mechanical info from the oilheads (including valve check/adjust) transfers over of course, but I'm curious to see a throttle body sync on a 1200RT, since there's that extra trick of "parking" the bypass air stepper motors. Anyone gonna bring a GS911?

I have plenty of experience working on oilheads, but rather little working on hexheads. Most of that basic mechanical info from the oilheads (including valve check/adjust) transfers over of course, but I'm curious to see a throttle body sync on a 1200RT, since there's that extra trick of "parking" the bypass air stepper motors. Anyone gonna bring a GS911?

It probably isn't the right way to do it (actually, I know it isn't), but I didn't worry about doing it at idle. I just did it at a higher RPM.

I'm curious to see a throttle body sync on a 1200RT, since there's that extra trick of "parking" the bypass air stepper motors. Anyone gonna bring a GS911?

It's been concluded that you do not have to park them, Ken H can tell you more about it then I ever could.

Addendum:

Someone asked about oil recycling. I have stuff to collect fluids and recycle them at the local Auto Zone. Also for anyone coming, you don't need to worry about consumables like paper towels, soap, cardboard sheets, oildry etc. I've got all that stuff there at the shop.

I can have my two buck chuck homemade manometer available too. I'd bet Mitch has one though.

I would like to see one of those in action, I have no luck with it.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Looks like Bob Smith and I will be replacing a head gasket on his 1100R. I will be printing out and bringing the relevant portions of the BMW oilhead service manual for that job, but I don't have the full manual in printed form, and I no longer have the Haynes oilhead service manual (it left along with my 1100RT).

Will someone else have a Haynes manual, or an electronic/printed form of the full BMW service manual on site, so we have torque specs for all the 6K/12K maintenance work?

I have both the haynes and the clymer. Clymer is much better for that as I just redid the gasket between the cylinder head and crankcase. I have a chart of the torque specs too that I got from the Internet BMW riders website.

Now this message from Storm Team Eric:

In case of inclement weather I do have plenty of covered space inside. I don't forsee running out of room unless more than 25 or 30 bikes show up, which I don't think will happen.

I will be bringing my 93 to 04 r1100 and 1150 manual, as well as the older 93 to 97 manual. I only need to bring the newer one back with me. If someone wants the old one to keep - see me there!

Archived