IGNORED

R90/6 concern

beemerFROG

Fellow riders,

I have a '76 R90/6 that is giving me concern about the rear wheel. The bike has the original wire spoke rims, and there seems to be a "wobble" to the wheel. Not like it is untrue, but that when you are changing directions, the back end has a loose feeling to it. Upon checking the tire, I grabbed hold of it and wiggled it. There is play back and forth from the center of the wheel, which I suspect is producing the loose feel. Should there be play? And if so, how much? I apologize in advance if this is a remedial question but the bike is new to me and I do not have much history to compare it to. Any and all advice/ comments and welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

There should be no discernable play in the wheel. From your description, it sounds like the rear wheel bearings have failed.

These are standard bearings (40X17X14) and can be obtained from any bearing supply store.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I had to replace the rear wheel bearings on my /6 when I bought it in 1990.

I do it kind of different. Pull the wheel. Remove the axle and inner cones. I weld a bead around the inner cup (race). This shrinks the race and it falls out. It also heats up the hub so the new race will go in easily.

If you don't use a welder to remove the cup, once its out, preheat the hub with a small torch so its hot to the touch (250*f) and the new bearing will go in much easier with out galling or any other problem. You can also put the outer race in the freezer before installation. This will shrink it just a little and make installation even easier. I do most all bearings like this.

Fix it before riding it again, rear wheel steering sucks!

Good luck

David :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all. I ended up buying a new (to me) wheel from Mike at Airhead salvage in Texas. Once I had removed the bearings I found that they or something had chewed some gouges into the hub interior. So it was time for a new wheel. Mike and his wife Susan are GREAT to deal with and I highly recommend them. The wheel I am getting does have a painted hub so I do have that to deal with. I have gotten advice on both sand blasting it and using chemical stripper (aircraft stripper). My head is spinning right now so luckily I don't have the funds to have anything done just yet. I will continue to investigate my options, as for now I am probably leaning towards sand blasting and silver powder coating for $100 per wheel. Any thoughts or concerns are always appreciated. Thanks.

Archived